New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Sony reliable?

tung256

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony reliable?

I'm a long time canon user. Thinking of switching over to Sony just because Canon is lacking innovation for so long and I'm tired of waiting.
I know many of you made the switch. How reliable is Sony so far? I'm looking at the 6500 before going all in with the a7r2

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:02 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony reliable?

I can only say that I'm on my 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th Sony cameras (all but two purchased used), and knock on wood, none have ever failed me. (I used to use Canon, too, and found them to be just as reliable)

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:15 AM
scrappydog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony reliable?

I am a former Canon shooter and I switched to the A7R2. It's reliable. It's a little slower to boot and operate than Canon's newer, faster bodies, but it works fine. Compared to Canon, the DR and resolution in the Sony files are amazing. The AF is likely slower, but it is more precise and accurate.

I only had two incidents when shooting Canon glass via the Metabones IV. Both involved the adapter not providing AF for about 10-15 minutes. During those two periods, I shot manual. All of a sudden, the AF re-engaged and I went back to shooting with AF.

I also shoot Leica M-mount glass via the Techart Pro adapter. I haven't had any issues shooting with it.

I only have one native lens, the Loxia 21. It's amazing. I have had zero issues with it.

I used Sony's servicing once. The servicing center communicated well and fixed my camera about as fast as CPS. Moreover, Sony covered the servicing even though I was at fault for the damage to the camera, and it was a grey market camera. Sony took care of me. That experience was excellent and I give Sony high marks for their customer service.

If you decide to pull the trigger, give yourself a little time to adjust to Sony's ergonomics and menus. Canon menus are really intuitive; Sony's are less so. That said, if you give it time, you will adjust to the Sony.

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:24 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony reliable?

So far, so good with my Sonys (I have an A7R2 and an A7R converted to infrared). I also switched from Canon nearly 2 years ago. Still have my 5DSR, but it's only in reserve as an emergency backup, and I'll sell it when the A7R3 comes out.

The biggest plus for me is the EVF, but there are many other things that I love about it too. I could never go back to an OVF.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:05 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony reliable?

I've drug my A7RII all over the mountains (summer/winter) and it's done just fine.
Would I drop it on a rock like I might my D800? No, but I try not to do such things with any of my gear.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony reliable?

The A7RII is reliable. I've taken it to the rain, snow and high humidity. No issues in two years...

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:52 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony reliable?

I've shot my A7rII atop mountains, in jungles, in tropical cities, and throughout the alps since 2015. That includes: Vietnam, Indonesia, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, The Netherlands, USA, France, etc.

It's been just as reliable as my Canon systems before. But it's smaller, lighter, and the IQ is a serious step up.

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:54 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony reliable?

get both. you will appreciate the speed of the A6500 in some situations. No issues with any of my Sony gear. It's been an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony reliable?

I think I've been through nine Sony cameras (including three e-mount and two rx series cameras) over the years and never had any trouble, even though I have shot in rain and snow quite often. To be fair, I've had three different Nikon cameras, which also performed flawlessly, regardless the weather.

Of course, you might end up with a de-centered lens once in a while, but QC issues have plagued all major manufacturers, so this isn't a Sony-exclusive problem.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:08 PM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony reliable?

I've had five Sony cameras, on my journey to leaving Canon after 35 years--the Nex 7, the 6000, 6300, 6500, and the A7RII. All have functioned perfectly. I take care of them, but I use them and travel with them.

The 6500 is a great camera, and I did what you are thinking of doing, getting it before going FF. I am not sure that I would do that again. It takes you down the wrong road RE lenses and uses and technique. It may be best to bite the bullet on the cost of the A7RII if that is where you ultimately want to go..

About 2 or 3 months ago, I got a brand new, untouched, 30-day-returnable, USA model A7RII from a major camera store via Greentoe for $2398. (BTW, Greentoe encourages buyers to talk about the deal they got but NOT to disclose the camera store that was the seller.)

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony reliable?

MILC does not have reflected mirror(s) so no worry in AE/AF calibration issues like DSLR. The only moving mechanism are IBIS and shutter which we have not seen any problem report yet. So far I am happy with my Sony bodies & lenses.

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:12 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony reliable?

Go for it. I'm made the switch for my landscape kit, a7rII and 3 lenses. BTW: used a7rII's are running around $2100 over in B&S.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:07 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony reliable?

Check out Roger Cicala's two-part blog about the build and
estimated repair cost of the Sony Fe 70-200 mm lens on
lensrentals.com. Roger is no fan boy. Provides impartial
reviews and analysis.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:17 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony reliable?

Its no less reliable than any other system. Just because its smaller does not make it worse. Im a working Pro and relied on it for the last 3 years withe several bodies, never have I gone down.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:26 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony reliable?

GMPhotography wrote:
Its no less reliable than any other system. Just because its smaller does not make it worse. Im a working Pro and relied on it for the last 3 years withe several bodies, never have I gone down.

+1, the lesser mechanical moving parts the better reliability soon the only thing we need to concern is IBIS...A9 and future MILC should last for a long long time compared to DSLR.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:55 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony reliable?

No difference really to any other makers.

I have had my A7s now for a couple of years used daily (and sometimes for hours a day) and A7 previously also used extensively without issue before selling it.

I have had five DSLRs and three other mirrorless cameras as well as point and shoot digital and all sorts of film cameras (several SLRs and more).

I have had two cameras break on me (both Pentax, one mirrorless, one DSLR and both probably because of over working the anti shake).

Oh, make that three cameras break. I forgot the worst camera I ever owned and that WAS a Sony but was a point and shoot form several years ago (and expensive piece of garbage with a faulty sensor) against that, the Sony A7s is my all time favourite camera to date.

Some people can have reliability issues adapting lenses but that isn't a Sony issue.

I have one smart adapter that fitted my A7 but not my A7s and a couple of smart adapters have had small issues and one Sigma lens in Canon mount doesn't play nice on most of my adapters (I have four different ones). Again though, that isn't Sony's fault and most combinations of adapted lenses work great.

If you want to keep the resale value of the lenses, you might have to take a smidgen more care to stop paint coming off the painted metal lenses and some lenses just have a sticker with serial number only rather than engraved but I don't buy lenses to sell (I do sell some when I have to).

Not an issue for me but I think it needs be said.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:56 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony reliable?

My experience has been good too. Maybe 15 to 20 different DSLRs or mirrorless from Canon and Sony since 2004. Not a single failure. At least half of them were secondhand. Knocking on wood !

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:15 PM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony reliable?

garydavidjones wrote:
Check out Roger Cicala's two-part blog about the build and
estimated repair cost of the Sony Fe 70-200 mm lens on
lensrentals.com. Roger is no fan boy. Provides impartial
reviews and analysis.

On the other hand, also see his very favorable tear down of the Sony 16-35 f4.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:20 PM
tung256

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony reliable?

thanks! good to know.
i remember Sony was notoriously bad with their stereo system. the company was synonymous with "kill chip." after 1 year, when warranty is over, the stereo would self destruct. off course the Sony denied such chip exists.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Princeps

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony reliable?

With a sample size of 3 bodies and a ~dozen lenses in both systems, I have not experienced the same reliability or durability as with my Canons (which have been flawless).

RX1: manual focus ring stopped working, this is a widely reported design/encoder part defect and Sony doesn't care to admit/fix it on their flagship compact

A6500: broke after a shock that I think any other camera would have endured, shock was my fault but it breaking under those loads was a grey area... Sony declined to warranty it

SEL 10-18: bought new, worked the first few days at home, but immediately bricked upon bringing it on a 3 week backpacking trip to Turkey/Greece, had to carry it around as dead weight the whole time (wasn't the electrical contacts, and wasn't mishandled).

Why do I keep buying considering how poorly Sony treats its customers (among other product lines as well, see root-kitted CDs, and my experience with TVs, PlayStation)? Size, weight, technology. I try not to buy new anymore to not feed the beast. And will happily go back to Canon for their ruggedness and excellent service if they ever get competitive again.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:15 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password