New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Monument Valley

znikon5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley

Hi all,
I am staying in Monument Valley for one night at the View Hotel.

My plan is to do sunset from the balcony or visitor area right at the View Hotel. It seems like sunset is nicer because you can get the nice colors on the rocks as the sun sets and casts a nice light on them, whereas sunrise has the silhouette dark look. I was wondering what you recommend for sunrise? I have seen some beautiful photos from Hunt's mesa but is it feasible to get there in time from the View Hotel for sunrise? My understanding is you need a local guide to get you there in time. Any other ideas for sunrise like Artist's Point, etc? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:39 AM
jimger

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley

Hunt'sMesa is good for both sunrise and sunset. You will definitely need a guide. it's a 4 wd trail at best. I got some great shots. Normally leave the parking lot around 2-3AM to get there by sunrise. Three sisters is good for sunrise, as is Totem Pole-need a guide for totem pole and normally whites are not allowed on the road before sunrise. I was not impressed w/Artists Pt, afternoon/sunset should be good for John Ford Pt.
jim

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:36 PM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley

Thanks for the info.

Is it easy to find a guide there to take you from the View Hotel the day before or do you have to make online reservation via internet?

Also, when you say whites not allowed on the road before sunrise, do you mean the 17 mile loop road? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:44 PM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley

Ray Begay headed up our medium format digital workshop tour (Capture Integration in Bluff 2017) at Monument Valley and Hunt's Mesa. I've used him a few years now. Very knowledgeable about the area and where it is best for photographers. (928) 429-0042.

Ken

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:01 AM
jimger

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley

Yes I am referring to the loop road.I used Dineh Bekeyah Tours for my Hunt's Mesa tour,needed 2 people to make it affordable. 928 409 0088.
I have heard that the View Hotel offers night time tours,but not Hunt's Mesa. You could also get started trail shots while you are watching an outdoor movie on the back porch. Ask at the desk.

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:14 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley

The dirt loop road that non-Navajos are allowed to use can be so bad that even a conventional SUV will have a bad time, depending on the weather and the last time the road was repaired and graded. However, the Navajo guides have their huge-tired, high-clearance, special vehicles that, when combined with the guide's skill and knowledge of the place, will get you to many more photo opportunities in your short time there. (Why not make the most of your drive to the place and stay a few days longer?)

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:01 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley

The dirt loop road has just been redone. ANY vehicle can easily make the loop now.Was just there.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:22 PM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley

Thanks so much for the info. Is it still the case that white minorities are unable to drive the dirt loop road before sunrise?

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:09 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monument Valley

znikon5 wrote:
Thanks so much for the info. Is it still the case that white minorities are unable to drive the dirt loop road before sunrise?

Yup

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jdc562
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monument Valley

jimger wrote:
... normally whites are not allowed on the road before sunrise. I was not impressed w/Artists Pt, afternoon/sunset should be good for John Ford Pt.
jim

---------------------------------------------

znikon5 wrote:
Also, when you say whites not allowed on the road before sunrise, do you mean the 17 mile loop road? Thanks.

znikon5 wrote:

EGrav wrote:
Yup

This racist talk is offensive. First of all, there is no Navajo policy excluding white people. These are Navajo lands, not public lands, and the Navajos are entitled to control vehicle access to the loop road at night. It applies to everyone except the people who live there. Look at all the Federal, State, and municipal public park lands that do the same thing unless you have a residence that requires access through the park boundaries. Among the many reasons for this policy on the Monument Valley loop road is that Navajo families live along this road, and they deserve their nighttime peace and quiet without being disturbed by tourists who don't know their way around the dirt roads in Monument Valley in the pitch dark. This isn't Boston, znikon.

Sep 01, 2017 at 08:45 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monument Valley

JDC562,
Get off your high horse! When I was there, the guard in the little hut told me "NO WHITE PEOPLE on the road after sunset." His words. That is what the Navajo's call caucasians. I don't care what they call me but don't you imply that I am racist, because you have no idea what you are talking about. Shut the hell up! And you should apologize to everyone that you insulted.

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:58 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monument Valley

The term "white minorities" does stir up a racist picture for me.

Sep 02, 2017 at 12:02 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monument Valley

How can there be a white minority?

Whites are the minority when your in Monument Valley. Actually pretty much anywhere from Tuba City through Mexican Hat.

You're not white minorities though, you're just tourists or travelers, but not residents. You don't own the land, you don't make the rules. They want your money, that's all. On their terms. Otherwise they would rather just be left alone on their land, just like everybody. So the Navajos have every right to make and enforce whatever policies they want. And they want you out of there at night.

Why is it the people with no contact with Navajos or Utes or other tribes are always screaming racist like they are the palace guard...

Sep 03, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Johnwocher

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Monument Valley

So.......
I guess black people and brown people are allowed after sunset? If the guard in the hut restricts caucasians only, that is racist. Speaking of the palace guard.... It could be restricted to residents only? Can Japanese tourists go after sunset? Just showing how foolish these remarks are. Jeeeeze!
John

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:46 AM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Monument Valley

Hi all,
Just wanted to give an update and say I had a great visit to Monument Valley. I am still editing all the photos but wanted to share a couple. Of note, you definitely need a Navajo guide to take you on a sunrise shoot if you want to travel in the Valley itself (my Totem Pole shot). Also, the 17 mile loop road is drive-able even with a smaller sedan. I recommend the View Hotel - it certainly has great views and is quite convenient. Thanks for all the tips.

, on Flickr

, on Flickr

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:45 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Monument Valley

tag

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:52 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Monument Valley

On my yearly Southwest photo trip this year I went to MV and can definitely vouch for Philip Photo tours (m/a) . I did and an outing with them and very satisfied on the service.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password