New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · STS inks for Epson

grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · STS inks for Epson

Anyone have any experience with STS inks for Epson 3880? I've always been disinclined to try brand X inks, but wondering if these might be okay.....

https://www.stsinks.com/brands/epson/ultrachorme-k3.html?p=3

Thanks for any input.

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:08 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · STS inks for Epson

I bought a litre of their matte black (K). I use it as the base for mixing my monochrome inkset, which I use in my Epson 3880 (mixed to various dilutions). It's been excellent.

As an even more credible recommendation STS is where Paul Roark, the master printer who came up with the Eboni Variable Tone formulation I'm using, buys his ink.

Now I can't speak for the colour positions...

If you buy from STS, after just under one year you will start receiving calls from Irv who will want to know whether or not you need more!

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:39 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · STS inks for Epson

Also highly recommend Jon Cone's inks at inkjetmall.com Excellent stuff and you don't have to keep throwing carts away. Service is also superb.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:58 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · STS inks for Epson

OntheRez wrote:
Also highly recommend Jon Cone's inks at inkjetmall.com Excellent stuff and you don't have to keep throwing carts away. Service is also superb.

Thanks for this. Does look interesting, I just wonder if buying a large (larger than one cartridge, that is) quantity of ink is a good idea for an occasional printer such as myself. Is shelf life a concern?

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:27 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · STS inks for Epson

grog13 wrote:
Thanks for this. Does look interesting, I just wonder if buying a large (larger than one cartridge, that is) quantity of ink is a good idea for an occasional printer such as myself. Is shelf life a concern?

Have had absolutely no problem with shelf life. I buy the whole set each time I run low. Important to know. I live in the heart of the Sonoran desert. While humidity can go up during the Monsoon season (gawd 40% - we all moan and carry on currently it is 16% and headed down. It's also 108° today. No problem. We see see humidities like 4% Still it doesn't dry out.

Also incredibly enough is that I've never had a true clog with my 3880. Can't say enough positive about it.

Robert

Aug 30, 2017 at 09:18 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · STS inks for Epson

I'm not going to contradict Robert's experience, but just mention that the ink manufacturers do put a shelf life on the inks. I view those dates as "best before" as opposed to "unusable after" dates! I think it also probably depends on the inks and how they are made.

The 3880 is so good that I bought a backup one, cleaned it up and have packed it away for storage. The replacement P800 from Epson has what appears to be an undefeatable security system so that you can't use refill carts (or not more than once, anyway). I hate that so much because I use my own inks and have to be able to refill. I can do that with a 3880 but not a P800. The same is true for people who refill with colour inks. Mind you if you buy a European model P800 I think you're OK because the EU doesn't allow this kind of business practice whereas Epson can do it in North America.

Rob

OntheRez wrote:
Have had absolutely no problem with shelf life. I buy the whole set each time I run low. Important to know. I live in the heart of the Sonoran desert. While humidity can go up during the Monsoon season (gawd 40% - we all moan and carry on currently it is 16% and headed down. It's also 108° today. No problem. We see see humidities like 4% Still it doesn't dry out.

Also incredibly enough is that I've never had a true clog with my 3880. Can't say enough positive about it.

Robert

Aug 30, 2017 at 09:24 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · STS inks for Epson

Rob,

You are no doubt right, and I stand corrected. It would be better to say - that within my time frames - I've never had any problem. I'm sure if you let it sit long enough there would be problems.

Robert

I print fairly regular but am hardly a heavy user.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM
splashjetink

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · STS inks for Epson

You need to understand the pros and cons of your options and figure out which is best for you ... so not As Soon As Possible, but As Soon As Prudent ;-)

Better to turn down some work now than invest your resources in the wrong equipment and supplies.

highly recommend Splashjet's inks at splashjet-ink.com. Service is also superb. Splashjet is leading manufacturer of inkjet ink offering range of products like Sublimation Ink, DTG Ink, Plotter Ink and Bulk inkjet Ink for a wide range of applicationssublimation ink

Jun 17, 2018 at 06:35 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.