New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Exposure issues driving me crazy!

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Exposure issues driving me crazy!

RustyBug wrote:
Imo, your salient point is "how much light is falling on the subject" ... +100 ... that's the Big Enchilada to understand.

with respect, no it isn't.

It's the type, quality and direction of light not the quantity, which is largely irrelevant

That's why the modes work, you set them up for a type of light and they will move the exposure if that intensity rises or falls, that's really the point of them

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Exposure issues driving me crazy!

Okay ... so educate me here a bit.

How do you set up an automatic exposure mode for a type of light?
How do you set up an automatic exposure mode for diffuse light of quantity EV 15 differently than you set up an automatic exposure mode for specular light of quantity EV 15?

I understand that the direction of light (AI=AR) will work in coordination with the angle / shape / contour of your subject (and it's reflective properties of diffuse / specular / color) to produce a given amount of reflected light into the angle of capture (i.e. onto your reflective exposure metering) ... but I'm not sure I follow how that would suggest that your incident light still isn't salient ... since your reflected light is derived from your incident light.

Bearing in mind the question was determining manual exposure values, it would seem that the Exposure Value (EV) of the light would be the appropriate value for a "correct" exposure. Not sure I follow how the quantity of light is irrelevant in determining exposure values. Did I miss something here?

Reflected metering is a reverse engineering calculation attempt to yield an Exposure Value, based on certain programming assumptions. Incident light metering is a direct measure of the amount of light falling onto your subject. Both can come up with the same value ... but, the reverse approach is prone to more issues that can be a factor in yielding an errant value. The direct measure has fewer attributes involved ... but, both (iiuc) are trying to discern the quantity of light befalling onto the subject (and subsequently reflected onto our capture media).

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:52 PM
mburns9

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Exposure issues driving me crazy!

I have always fancied that a camera should expose according to the adaptation of my eyes. So, it is a struggle, not totally unpleasant, to ride the exposure compensation of my older cameras so that the exposures are even approximately right.

And it is interesting to see that the iFCL feature was introduced with later cameras.

Aug 29, 2017 at 08:50 PM
luminaire
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Exposure issues driving me crazy!

RustyBug wrote:
Metering off the grass can be another proximal strategy.

That is a great technique for airshows and one I like to tell people when they ask how to move off the 'green square' mode. Pick one patch of grass and spot-meter against it between the acts or as you sense the light changing. Takes about three seconds to do.

Another useful metering surface is the "Proud Gray" external paint of USAF transport aircraft which approximates 18% very closely. At many big shows there is often a tanker parked conveniently across at the other side.

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:48 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password