Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

ab7638
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

Does anyone know the proper way to do it? Can they still go Air when using priority mail. The clerks at the post office are no help.

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

I have shipped plenty of batteries and bought as well. I place them individually in ziplock bags/bubble wrap inside the package. I have always shipped in a padded USPS priority envelope. Like $6.50 for 2 day to most places in the lower 48.

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:43 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

The clerks here recently refused a Priority shipment that contained a single small lithium battery, saying that it can't go by any type of air service. I redid it as ground and then it was fine.

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:05 PM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

I'm asking because I have had clerks refuse my shipments also. But I have received pleanty
Of lion batteries priority mail from businesses. I'll bet a lot of them came by air
I just Know when shipping small arms ammunition there is a required sticker/label that has to be put on the package. Stuff I get from Amazon now has a lion battery sticker on the box
I asked at the PO where I could get them and what were the rules for their use and he just looked at me like I was from mars. I'll bet many folks just say there are no batteries but I'm sure there are
Penalties if you get caught. Besides I like to do things the right way but sometimes it sure isn't easy

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:26 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

It's the same here in Australia, Li-ion batteries must go by road (more risk of combustion with Li-ion and they don't want that happening in the plane's cargo hold) but the charges here are so backward that it usually costs more for the slower service so most don't bother to declare. I always pack separately within the package and if possible use the plastic clip on cover they come with

Andy

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:31 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

The proper label is a DOT label for the batteries. I had to ship a charger and a couple of batteries once. I had them labeled as required and the post office made me rebox them and send them without the label. They are not very clear on their own rules.

There is an exception for shipping a battery in the camera. That is supposed to be ok by air. I think you can also have one spare with it maybe but the rules get a bit confusing.

Aug 27, 2017 at 07:28 PM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

I tried to ship a camera with battery today and the clerk said it had to go ground. No priority shipping because of the battery. She said if I took the battery out of the box then I could ship the camera priority mail. I asked if I put the dot label on would it make a difference. She said no.

Is Ups any better about this?

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:21 PM
samgas

[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

With USPS, UPS, and FedEx technically you can ship packages with lithium ion via Air if all the proper procedures are followed.

For USPS here's a link https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_027.htm#ep900090. My experience with USPS is that they will likely say no because they don't know if the batteries were packed in accordance to 349.222.

UPS and FedEx want the shipper to enter a Dangerous Goods Service Agreement. Having everything packed by an employee at a UPS Store or FedEx Office will get you around it as the store employees are qualified to handle and pack hazardous materials. It will add a few more bucks as you're now paying for professional packing, but can be beneficial if the contents arrived damaged and you have to make a claim with UPS or FedEx.

If all this sounds super inconvenient, ground ship it and call it shipped.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

ab7638 wrote:
Is Ups any better about this?

UPS on batteries

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shipping batteries along with cameras through the U. S. Post Office

Thank You Henry Now..think you can send a D850 my way?...wink..wink !!!!!!!

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.