Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Difference in Contax Mutars?

granttes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get a Mutar tele-converter for my Contax 100-300. I love this lens and I want to try extending it's range, but I don't understand the differences in the three mutars. I noticed there's Mutar 1 2x, then Mutar ii 2x and a Mutar 3 1.4

Which would be most compatible for me? I figured to go with the 2x, but maybe it might not adapt properly. Will the elements touch?

I'm also using it on my Sony a7r2.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:32 PM
RnRau

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

Zeiss.com still has the relevant pdf's up on their site. The pdf's also cover which lenses are recommended with which converter.

In pdf form:
https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/camera-lenses/files/service/download-center/datasheets/historical-lenses/contax-yashica/datasheet-zeiss-mutar-14x-en.pdf

https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_yashica/mutari-ii_2x_e.pdf

Edit: Hmm... just saw that none of the docs mentions the 100-300 lens...

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM
granttes

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

Yeah I saw that as well and I didn't see any mention of my beloved 100-300

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

The mutar I is compatible w all Zeiss Contax lenses & the image quality is so so at best. The mutars II & III were designed for the apo-sonars and tele-tessars. I used them w my 300mm f4 lens back in the day. The latter converters have a protruding lens group that fits into the barrel of the lens. I believe that the old (but very good) 70-200 f3.5 was compatible with the II & III CONVERTERS.

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:21 AM
granttes

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

OwlsEyes wrote:
The mutar I is compatible w all Zeiss Contax lenses & the image quality is so so at best. The mutars II & III were designed for the apo-sonars and tele-tessars. I used them w my 300mm f4 lens back in the day. The latter converters have a protruding lens group that fits into the barrel of the lens. I believe that the old (but very good) 70-200 f3.5 was compatible with the II & III CONVERTERS.

Hmmm...so if I understand this, it's best to get Mutar 1 at 2x for my 100-300?

Will my 100-300 not be compatible with the Mutar 2 at 2x?

I just want to make sure I end up with the best images that I can get from these converters. Thanks!

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:01 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

VS100-300 takes the Mutar I only (checked the old FAQ from Contax UK). Image quality is "Good" which means poor. The best Mutar is III because it's only 1.4X but compatible CZ lens are few. The Mutar II and III have protruding elements that can impact the rear lens element. I have used the III with forbidden lenses by adding an extension tube when losing infinity was okay. Some brave souls say the latter Mutars can work if you don't zoom too far. I really wouldn't go there...

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:39 AM
RnRau

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

Perhaps its best to look at Sony native tele-converters? Given the depth of the CY adapter I can't imagine there should be any mechanical or other issues. Haven't heard of anyone with such a combo though.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:51 AM
granttes

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

RnRau wrote:
Perhaps its best to look at Sony native tele-converters? Given the depth of the CY adapter I can't imagine there should be any mechanical or other issues. Haven't heard of anyone with such a combo though.

Interesting idea, but the 2x sony teleconverter is way more expensive than the contax version. I also think it's strange because the sony would have to go onto the body and THEN the C/Y adapter and contax lens. I'm thinking about it. But retail I just saw was about $500+

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

I was going to suggest looking at a Canon 1.4x, but I just checked it and it has a protruding element (mine is a 1.4x II) that would foul the rear element even with the c/y - EOS adapter (which is pretty thin)

Mike

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:34 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

I will mention the obvious since it has not been stated yet. Assuming all 3 mutars fit lens/camera - with a 1.4x you lose 1 f/stop and your lens downgrades its optical performance by a half to a full grade. With a 2x you lose 2 f/stops and your lens downgrades its optical performance by at least a full grade. In other words:

300 mm f/5.6 that normally shoots an A grade image with a 1.4x will be 420mm at f/8 with a A- to B grade performance
300 mm f/5.6 that normally shoots an A grade image with a 2.0x will be 600mm at f/11 with a B to C grade performance on the image itself.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:52 PM
granttes

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

dbehrens wrote:
I will mention the obvious since it has not been stated yet. Assuming all 3 mutars fit lens/camera - with a 1.4x you lose 1 f/stop and your lens downgrades its optical performance by a half to a full grade. With a 2x you lose 2 f/stops and your lens downgrades its optical performance by at least a full grade. In other words:

300 mm f/5.6 that normally shoots an A grade image with a 1.4x will be 420mm at f/8 with a A- to B grade performance
300 mm f/5.6 that normally shoots an A grade image with a 2.0x will
...Show more

Yeah I figured it wouldn't turn out to be better, but I'm curious to try it. Clearly this has to be used in super day light haha

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:13 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

These days, you'll have better luck (read: image quality) by doing something like swapping your lens' mount (think Leitax), and then using whatever native extender is available, and preferably the latest version.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:44 PM
granttes

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

Sam_W wrote:
These days, you'll have better luck (read: image quality) by doing something like swapping your lens' mount (think Leitax), and then using whatever native extender is available, and preferably the latest version.

What exactly do you mean? You mean not using an adapter for my Contax lens and just using just a Sony teleconverter?

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:13 AM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

granttes wrote:
What exactly do you mean? You mean not using an adapter for my Contax lens and just using just a Sony teleconverter?

I mean replacing the mount on your C/Y lens, so that, for example, it now has a "native" FE mount. You could mount it directly on your Sony and it would work, without needing any kind of adapter.

Then, using the Sony converter as if you were using a native Sony lens. You'd probably get better image quality that way, since the Sony converter's optical design will be considerably newer than that of the Mutars.

The only thing to watch out for is if the camera body can operate with the converter on it and registering no lens attached.

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:16 AM
granttes

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

Sam_W wrote:
I mean replacing the mount on your C/Y lens, so that, for example, it now has a "native" FE mount. You could mount it directly on your Sony and it would work, without needing any kind of adapter.

Then, using the Sony converter as if you were using a native Sony lens. You'd probably get better image quality that way, since the Sony converter's optical design will be considerably newer than that of the Mutars.

The only thing to watch out for is if the camera body can operate with the converter on it and registering no lens attached.

I sat for a while and then realized what you're talking about haha

That sounds expensive and would probably ruin the value of the lens. Who can do that anyways?

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Difference in Contax Mutars?

granttes wrote:
Who can do that anyways?

http://www.leitax.com/Contax-lenses-for-SonyE-cameras.html

granttes wrote:
... and would probably ruin the value of the lens.

No effect on price. Completely reversible.

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password