New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

Abouna
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

My brother's GH2 is giving up the ghost and so the need for a new camera is imminent.

I'm the house camera guy so it falls to me to make suggestions. Problem is, I can only suggest what I'm familiar with. My X-Pro2 is a bit much for him and he really would prefer a tilting LCD.

Anyhow, since I've already got a small set of lenses it makes sense for him to go Fuji (amongst other reasons). Budget is a concern though as it needs to stay under $1k used or new. I simply don;t know enough of the minutiae of these cameras to make a choice. I know what is important for him though:

- price
- articulated screen
- good or great video
- really good viewfinder

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

He can get a new X-T20 with the 16-50mm kit lens for right at a 1000 bucks. Coming from a GH2, he'll be blown away by the image quality.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM
Abouna
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

How's the video quality? The GH2 was an average at best still camera but a nearly production level video camera.

How would the X-T20 compare to a used X-T1?

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

Abouna wrote:
How's the video quality? The GH2 was an average at best still camera but a nearly production level video camera.

How would the X-T20 compare to a used X-T1?

Couldn't tell you, I never shoot video with my X-t2. But, from everything I've seen and read, it does very well in that department.

The X-T1 was/is a great camera. But the newer sensor and processor of the T20 has the edge on it. Not to mention the video capability.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

I think Leighton W has given good counsel. I liked my X-T1, but the newer generation X-T2 is a big improvement on what was a great camera.

If I were suggesting, I would go along with Leighton and suggest the X-T20 with the 16-50 kit lens. However, from what you said, Abouna, a lens would not be necessary if you are willing to share your lenses.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:50 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

If he has a GH2, he already has some lenses. He should need a reason in my mind before switching. How many lenses does he have? What isn't working for him about the GH line? If he bought a GH2, I would imagine he has slightly more interest in video than stills. Therefore, a GH4 would probably be nice around the same price as an X-t20.

Aug 27, 2017 at 01:17 PM
Abouna
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

His lenses arent good enough to build around. Plus he's keen on the ergonomics of the Fuji line.

Aug 27, 2017 at 01:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

I switched to a Fuji X-T2 (after a brief stop with X-T1) and have been extremely pleased. It's very much a matter of taste though as to whether or not you like the Fuji design philosophy (or any manufacturer's design philosophy for that matter). If at all possible it would be best to try out an X-T20 for a while.

The Fuji lenses are excellent too by the way.

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:22 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

The Fuji's are great, but also have him check out the Lumix G85, its a fantastic camera for the body with 5 axis IBIS, dual IS depending on the lens, and being a Panasonic, great 4k video. Very comfortable grip, big EVF, ability to move AF point with eye to the EVF, fast AF-S etc. Its like 90% the GH5 for less than half the price. If he already knows the GH2, and has Panny glass it might also be worth checking out.

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:22 PM
Abouna
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Nothing against the Panny stuff (the GH2 was a stellar video cam) but at this point he'd be much more keen on the Fuji aesthetic.

I'm really thinking the T20 may be the best route to go here. Dang if I didn't miss several good deals lately.

How's the kit lens BTW?

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:31 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

The 18-55 "kit" is a great lens, the 16-50 not so much

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:38 PM
doowop42
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

I just sold my X-T20 the other day for $750.The 18-55mm lens is a must.

Aug 27, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need a little guidance X-T10/20 or X-T1/2

If video is a criteria I'd say go for the X-T20 or X-t2. Tilting screen on the X-T2 but touchscreen on the X-T20 may possibly be more user friendly for video shooting.

I was just at my local camera shop admiring the 4k fuji display pimping the new medium format body. The 4k video was shot with an X-t2 and it was incredibly impressive.

I would not suggest anything older than the one's I've mentioned for video unless your brother is a pro at manual focus and desire only 1080. The video AF on the X-E2s, X-T10 or X-T1 is dreadful.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:47 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password