New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

JohnK007
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

I've heard a lot of negative talk about SnapBridge, and I myself have struggled to make it work on my D500. (I have a Galaxy S7 Edge). The fact is I couldn't make it work for awhile.

Interestingly, however, I set it up on my girlfriend's D5600, today, and I had absolutely zero trouble doing so. (She has an iPhone 7.)

I was left scratching my head as to why one set-up was instant and painless, in my girlfriend's budget Nikon, and yet I couldn't get it to work at all on my high-end D500.

Call me slow, but after rubbing my chin awhile, eventually it dawned on me that the reason the integration was seamless on my girlfriend's D5600 is that I set her up to shoot sRGB JPEGs ... whereas I shoot exclusively in RAW on my D500.

With this, "Ah-ha!" moment in place, I converted by file allocation system to RAW + JPEG and -*viola!*- my SnapBridge worked flawlessly

For those of you who have had difficulty integrating SnapBridge, with your own Nikon DSLR, my suggestion is it because you are shooting RAW only ... and the second you switch to RAW + JPEG, you will have no further issues.

One of the great features of SnapBridge I learned as well is that you can use it to gain remote control of your DSLR ... assuming a Wi-Fi connection. In other words, you can set your camera up on a tripod, walk away from it, and take photos from your camera remotely, from your cell phone. Now that I understand it a little better, I thinkSnapBridge is actually a pretty cool feature.

Hope this helps some others.

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

Thanks for sharing. I don't recall having an issue with Snapbridge on the D500 I owned and I shot raw exclusively, although it's certainly possible it may be affecting some users.

If you'd like to transfer images (including raws) directly to your desktop/notebook, take a peak at my Airnef application:

http://testcams.com/airnef/

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:33 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

snapsy wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I don't recall having an issue with Snapbridge on the D500 I owned and I shot raw exclusively, although it's certainly possible it may be affecting some users.

If you'd like to transfer images (including raws) directly to your desktop/notebook, take a peak at my Airnef application:

Couldn't get a single image to my phone, until I added + jpeg.

Thanks for the link, very cool!

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:12 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

snapsy wrote:

I don't really have a need for this (shooting tethered, wireless transfer), but it prompted me to revisit qDslrDashboard on PC. I had about given it up on my phone, due to the snapbridge crap for the D500.

Amusingly enough, I've got my computer set to snipe the D500 wireless as soon as it activates, following the guide you wrote for your program. No fiddling required, it's quite easy in all truth.

Hello easy focus stacking and if I wish, remote control for other purposes!

I will keep a copy of your program around if I should end up needing to do some tethered work in Lightroom or something. Good stuff!

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:23 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

Photozack81 wrote:
[...]
Amusingly enough, I've got my computer set to snipe the D500 wireless as soon as it activates, following the guide you wrote for your program. No fiddling required, it's quite easy in all truth.

Care to share or describe how you did this?

I need wireless tethering with a Surface tablet (Windows) and an still using an Eye-Fi cards because Snapbridge just doesn't do it.

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:15 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

Sorry for getting a touch off topic here, but how well does SnapBridge works for you getting the GPS data automatically transferred from your iPhone to your raw files? I suppose it should work via Bluetooth, but does it?

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:43 AM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

Stoffer wrote:
Sorry for getting a touch off topic here, but how well does SnapBridge works for you getting the GPS data automatically transferred from your iPhone to your raw files? I suppose it should work via Bluetooth, but does it?

I use Android, but this has always worked perfectly for me. Sometimes I have trouble transferring photos, but that's only because the transfer rate, even via wifi, is just stupidly slow. There is so little data being passed for the GPS coordinates, that it never has any issues. I try to remember to open up Snapbridge on my phone and check the connection, but if my phone is in my pocket, then it's always worked without my checking.

Again, this is via Android (previously a Nexus 6, now a Pixel XL). This is actually my favorite part of Snapbridge, the GPS location tagged to every photo.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

reggieb wrote:
I use Android, but this has always worked perfectly for me. Sometimes I have trouble transferring photos, but that's only because the transfer rate, even via wifi, is just stupidly slow. There is so little data being passed for the GPS coordinates, that it never has any issues. I try to remember to open up Snapbridge on my phone and check the connection, but if my phone is in my pocket, then it's always worked without my checking.

Again, this is via Android (previously a Nexus 6, now a Pixel XL). This is actually my favorite part of Snapbridge, the
...Show more

Excellent. The GPS data feature is the one I would use the most.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:41 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

kaplah wrote:
Care to share or describe how you did this?

I need wireless tethering with a Surface tablet (Windows) and an still using an Eye-Fi cards because Snapbridge just doesn't do it.

My laptop runs windows 7, so you may or may not be able to do this.

Short version - connect to the D500 wifi at least once to get it in the computer's list of networks.

Disable the wifi on your android phone or whatever you have, run the snapbridge and tell it to tell the D500 to enable wifi.

Connect to it with the computer, using the proper password etc

In the network and sharing center, view the wireless networks.

Make sure the D500 one is at the top.

For your normal wifi network (like your home network or whatever) right click and go to Properties, there is a tick box in there that says something like "connect to a more preferred network if available" - make sure that's checked.

Then disconnect from the D500 and reconnect to your main network.

Disable the wifi on your android phone or whatever you have, run the snapbridge and tell it to tell the D500 to enable wifi.

What should happen is your computer will sense the network becoming available and connect to it before the snapbridge app can activate the wifi unit on your phone. The D500 refuses connections when something's already connected..so in effect first come first serve.

I dunno if any of this will make sense to you, or if you can even do it in your particular case, but I'll try to help however I can!

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:56 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

Thanks for the guidance - spent some time trying it just now.

Did see the D500 network on my laptop, and the laptop did say it connected, at which point DSLRDashboard found the camera and tried (unsuccessfully) to connect.

In the end, I could not get DSLRDashboard to do anything, and every time the camera timed out I needed to go through the dance again to re-enable WiFi on the camera, which is simply not on even if the WiFi connection could be made to do something useful.

So, the WiFi on the D500 is still useless to me. Presumably the D850 will be the same.

All Nikon needs to do is enable, let's call it, "Advanced Wifi" mode, where I and others can just select a menu option to turn wifi on.

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:20 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

kaplah wrote:

Did see the D500 network on my laptop, and the laptop did say it connected, at which point DSLRDashboard found the camera and tried (unsuccessfully) to connect.

In the end, I could not get DSLRDashboard to do anything, and every time the camera timed out I needed to go through the dance again to re-enable WiFi on the camera, which is simply not on even if the WiFi connection could be made to do something useful.

So, the WiFi on the D500 is still useless to me. Presumably the D850 will
...Show more

The issue with enabling the D500's Wifi is that it only stays enabled for single MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) session. I'm guessing DSLRDashBoard is engaging in a session to discover/interrogate the camera and then starting a new session after that to perform the actual work, which unfortunately will fail because the camera's Wifi will be disabled at that point.

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:44 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

snapsy wrote:
The issue with enabling the D500's Wifi is that it only stays enabled for single MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) session.[...]

Thank you for the insight.

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

kaplah wrote:

So, the WiFi on the D500 is still useless to me. Presumably the D850 will
...Show more

This is where bumping the priority up for the D500 network comes into play. That's why I gave you steps to do that.

Once you've got it set to the highest priority (and your other networks set to yield priority) the reconnect and activation of DSLRDashboard becomes a minor concern at best. It's actually easier to do it this way than to use DSLRDashboard on the phone, amusingly enough.

Sep 03, 2017 at 10:35 PM
teight

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

YES! This explains why it was working when I first started with the D500 - I was shooting both ... then I unwisely tried to simplify things by shooting RAW only. THanks for the tip! Look forward to trying this when I get home.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM
OffTrail
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

teight wrote:
YES! This explains why it was working when I first started with the D500 - I was shooting both ... then I unwisely tried to simplify things by shooting RAW only. THanks for the tip! Look forward to trying this when I get home.

If you still want to shoot just RAW but also be able to move certain photos to your phone, you can just process a specific photo to JPEG, and then select it for download. Then you'll see your processed JPEG when you connect with SnapBridge. Nice thing is, you get a ton of editing control in camera, and you can also drop the size. So instead of choosing between full-size and 2mp, you can pick something in between that retains quality, but doesn't take 5 minutes to transfer. Great choice for social media or just getting a quick photo to a friend, family, client, etc.

Completely changed the game for me personally.

Nov 17, 2017 at 03:15 PM
worldexclus1ve
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

When I used it, it was difficult to connect and then took a while to transfer files. And you had to shoot JPEG.
I had to buy the SD adapter for Apple in order to transfer files faster. Glad I'm back with Sony. I can't imagine using SnapBridge in the middle of an event for social media.

Nov 17, 2017 at 04:04 PM
teight

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SNAPBRIDGE and The D500

Thank you!!!!

OffTrail wrote:
If you still want to shoot just RAW but also be able to move certain photos to your phone, you can just process a specific photo to JPEG, and then select it for download. Then you'll see your processed JPEG when you connect with SnapBridge. Nice thing is, you get a ton of editing control in camera, and you can also drop the size. So instead of choosing between full-size and 2mp, you can pick something in between that retains quality, but doesn't take 5 minutes to transfer. Great choice for social media or just getting a quick photo to
...Show more

Nov 17, 2017 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.