Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Abandoned Throwbacks

Nice work. #3 and #6 are my favorites.

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:18 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Abandoned Throwbacks

An eerie and unsettling series of photos of this abandoned and decaying building. A hospital of some sort? I remember you posting some photos quite a while ago from this shoot. 3,4, and 6 are my favorites. My personal preferences are the ones that give us a hint of what the purpose of the building was. The one with the crutches, #3, is the most telling, surreal, and frightening. I would lighten the edges of this photo to be able to more clearly see the details of the objects littered in the room.

Steve

Aug 27, 2017 at 07:50 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Abandoned Throwbacks

Kevin T wrote:
Super neat set of shots! I am really digging #6

Thanks Kev! It wasn't long after I snapped that one that I heard some voices and realized that my buddy and I had been busted. Unfortunately a number of these abandoned spots aren't exact legal to access and when you combine that with the people who like to destroy and deface the locations it makes for some tense interactions if they do happen. Not that it excuses any actions, but our goal is to get in, take hands-off pics and then get out like no one was ever there. It would be slightly embarrassing for a dude in his mid-30s to get busted for trespassing.

---------------------------------------------

solarishead wrote:
Nice work. #3 and #6 are my favorites.

Thanks Mark - glad you like them!

eeneryma wrote:
An eerie and unsettling series of photos of this abandoned and decaying building. A hospital of some sort? I remember you posting some photos quite a while ago from this shoot. 3,4, and 6 are my favorites. My personal preferences are the ones that give us a hint of what the purpose of the building was. The one with the crutches, #3, is the most telling, surreal, and frightening. I would lighten the edges of this photo to be able to more clearly see the details of the objects littered in the room.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback, Steve! You nailed it. The first three are from the abandoned hospital and I have posted some others from the same location before (maybe ever a similar shot just reprocessed). The last three are from an abandoned boys military academy.

I'm glad that #3 had that impact on you! That's funny - I purposely darkened the edges to put the most focus on the crutches. Perhaps it was a little sloppily applied?

Jeff

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:20 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Abandoned Throwbacks

The 3rd is crutch city. Like the entire set.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Abandoned Throwbacks

3 & 6 for me in this set. Although the ghost figure at the end of the long hallway in #4 is pretty cool.

3 & 6 are very engaging and tell a detailed story that makes you ponder all kinds of things while viewing.

Dave

Aug 28, 2017 at 09:00 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Abandoned Throwbacks

ben egbert wrote:
The 3rd is crutch city. Like the entire set.

Thanks Ben! Definitely like to hear your thoughts because I know that the genre and processing are both outside your comfort zone.

lighthound wrote:
3 & 6 for me in this set. Although the ghost figure at the end of the long hallway in #4 is pretty cool.

3 & 6 are very engaging and tell a detailed story that makes you ponder all kinds of things while viewing.

Dave

Thanks for the comments, Dave! Good to know that those two 'connect' for you the most. Do you feel that the others are lacking in something or that they just don't work on the same level as 3/6?

Jeff

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:19 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Abandoned Throwbacks

beavens wrote:
Thanks Ben! Definitely like to hear your thoughts because I know that the genre and processing are both outside your comfort zone.

Thanks for the comments, Dave! Good to know that those two 'connect' for you the most. Do you feel that the others are lacking in something or that they just don't work on the same level as 3/6?

Jeff

One word.... Mystery

I think it's the mystery of 3 & 6 that I find so alluring. The others, while nice shots of a spooky place, do not draw me in and make me think about "what's inside" the boxes on the shelves in #3 and "what was inside" of those deposite boxes of #6 that someone clearly wanted.

They say the strength of an image is how well it tells a story. In this case I think it's more about how these two images allows the viewer to imagine their own stories thus keeping the viewer engaged much longer.
Which to me, is a pretty powerful achievement to pull off in a single 2D image.

How's that for an explanation!

Dave

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:05 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Abandoned Throwbacks

lighthound wrote:
One word.... Mystery

I think it's the mystery of 3 & 6 that I find so alluring. The others, while nice shots of a spooky place, do not draw me in and make me think about "what's inside" the boxes on the shelves in #3 and "what was inside" of those deposite boxes of #6 that someone clearly wanted.

They say the strength of an image is how well it tells a story. In this case I think it's more about how these two images allows the viewer to imagine their own stories thus keeping the viewer engaged much longer.
Which to
...Show more

Thanks amigo - just what I'm lookin' for. And I feel you with the "nice shot" vs. "I wanna know more!" factor.

Jeff

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:16 PM
Vibro

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Abandoned Throwbacks

Love #6

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:44 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Abandoned Throwbacks

Vibro wrote:
Love #6

Thanks Vibro!

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.