New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

I have two NEC monitors, one older vintage LCD2470NX and one newer EA244WMi. I calibrate both with the same Spyder 2 head using the same procedure. Since my Spyder 2 does not handle multiple monitors well I first disconnect one monitor, set the other as the primary, calibrate it with a profile, and then repeat the process with the other. When everything is said and done I launch the Color management control panel in Windows 10 and make sure that each monitor has the correct profile assigned. Everything seems in order yet when the two monitors are next to one another I can see the difference. The color temperature on one is notably warmer (I am guessing by at least 500K) and the same image when moved between the two monitors has notable color shifts, mostly in the yellow-red part of the spectrum. Both are connected to the same card, an AMD Radeon HD7700, one on the HDMI and the other on the DVI port. However, the card seems to be happy to assign different profiles to each monitor independently, and when I switch the profiles in the Color Management CP I can see the monitor respond.

Other than shelling out $100+ for a more recent version of the Spyder, is there anything I can do? I can probably tweak one manually to match the other, the $1M question is how do I decide which (if any) is the correct one.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

The older calibrator designs may not have sufficient gamut or your unit may be failing.

EBH

Aug 26, 2017 at 02:07 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

Just buy a new calibration system ... that supports two monitors. Older calibration sensors like yours degrade with time. Even with the best equipment the monitors may look different in the end. Make sure you are comparing them in a color managed application or you can get random results.

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:34 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

Cant be degradation of the sensor or both monitors would be off. Also it turns out that I have the Spyder2PRO, which supports multiple monitors. After some further investigation it is likely that my older NEC monitor may be the odd man out, with a touch of extra blue. The surface coating and/or lack of back light control may be throwing off the Spyder. I have manually tweaked down the blue channel with the RGB sliders and now it is close enough.

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

its time to modernize you color workflow including hardware.

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:53 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

I know exactly the problem you have as dozens of our computers here in the office have the exact same problem (the extra warmth is very noticeable).

The first problem with software-only calibration is it's simply not very accurate. Secondly, many GPUs can only support a single color managed output. On top of that, no two monitors are exactly the same, even if they're the same model. When you software calibrate a monitor with no built in LUT, you are just sending instructions to the GPU to approximate color. The instructions are inaccurate, degrade quickly, and generally cannot be put through more than one output (which screws up dual monitor situations). You can test this by swapping outputs, but not monitors - the warmth will move to the other monitor.

The only way to get two identical monitors is to buy monitors with proper hardware calibration built in, such as the NEC PA models (eg. PA272W). The calibration follows the monitor, and not the computer, so you have no issues using the monitors on multiple computers or in milti-monitor setups.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:31 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spyder 2 adn multiple monitors

Well, the 24" versions PA242W are not prohibitively expensive, so I may replace my older NEC with one of these. At 1920 x 1200 It will also match the native resolution of my EA244WMI. Frankly, I have found that I prefer 24" monitors over 27" as they give me my preferred balance between mouse speed/resolution and ability to move things between monitors with a single mouse move. Hopefully there are some deals on the PA242W in the coming months.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password