Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Cloud storage?

alpinekiwi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cloud storage?

I'm rethinking my image backup and storage workflow.

Already using two separate identical external hard drives kept in different places, I'm now hearing about using the cloud idea for a third backup.

I've also heard of the RAID system, but damn that can get expensive!

What do you guys use for your storage and backups?

Aug 26, 2017 at 09:52 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cloud storage?

This, very recommended here a couple of years ago when I asked the same question.

https://www.backblaze.com/

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:12 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cloud storage?

Off-site NAS. In my case I have it at my parents house.

Couldn't deal with the slow transfer speeds of a cloud service. Didn't want to keep on top of the latest TOS changes.

Backblaze is for syncing, and not backup. If you don't connect a hard drive in more than 30 days, they will delete the files from the syncing set.

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:31 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cloud storage?

Backblaze mirrors for 30 days, then deletes the immediate data, but keeps a snapshot for another six months, after which everything is done for good.

I use Backblaze and Crashplan together because of this, but eventually I'll have to get two NAS, keep one at my brother's or parent's and just sync between them.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:14 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cloud storage?

So do you have a proofing site for clients?

If so... this is your off-site backup.

Why back-up (to off-site) RAW files that are not even used.
You have completed weddings, burned into jpg.... that is what you need to save.
At least save for clients....

just being practical for a small business.

If it is a real concern to you. Purchase a new, separate HD every year. Call this HD #3.
Store all of the clients stuff on it. Use it for a year
End of year, remove and store at parents, friend ... where ever.

It may not be sexy as cloud computing... but it is very cost effective and will last for multiple years before data desegregation.
Assuming you purchase decent HD drive.

If you need access to previous years images....this should be on site.

This is for backup, encase your stuff goes up in flames.

-Mark

Aug 26, 2017 at 02:18 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cloud storage?

I agree with Mark
You can use your proof site as cloud backup. All our weddings are on Zenfolio with high res jpegs so if I need something I can get it from there from anywhere in the world no issue.
You can also keep a small HD with jpegs from each shoot on it and then store it offsite.
The raid stuff is way overcomplicated.
Even if you have 5-6 shoots a week it is easy to manually back everything up. With TB or USB3 drives you can transfer entire weddings in minutes to the backup drive.

I keep a folder for each wedding / shoot and then just back it up manually. Takes like 2 seconds.

Aug 26, 2017 at 07:23 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cloud storage?

If you're not backing up your undelivered sessions off-site, you're taking on an unnecessary risk.

It just takes a bad event, be it a robbery, house fire, flood, pipe to burst, etc., to totally screw you and your clients.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cloud storage?

Backblaze B2

Aug 27, 2017 at 01:21 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cloud storage?

I use SmugMug for off-site back up of full res jpg

Aug 27, 2017 at 01:56 PM
andrewhenders
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cloud storage?

I use Amazon Cloud, which is part of Amazon Prime, for cloud storage of my Raw images.

This is a simplified version of my workflow when I got home from last night's wedding....

1) Ingest cards & rename files

2) take one of the sets of SD cards from wedding and those are kept offsite until editing is complete

3) backup wedding to two external drives. One of those drives is then kept offsite.

4) backup to Amazon Cloud (My second photographer & I shot 200gb last night. The upload will be complete in about 15 minutes, so it took about 12 hours to do so.

Aug 27, 2017 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cloud storage?

Amazon Cloud does not allow its service be used for a business uses FYI

Its also becoming quite expensive with the new pricing

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:44 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cloud storage?

The main part of my system is a Synology NAS that syncs to Amazon Cloud Drive. Currently have 18TB up there. Most expensive part is paying Comcast $50/month for unlimited bandwidth.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:21 PM
chrisfphotog
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cloud storage?

FrancisK7 wrote:
Backblaze mirrors for 30 days, then deletes the immediate data, but keeps a snapshot for another six months, after which everything is done for good.

Where are you getting this from? Back blaze will keep you computer mirrored in the computer business plan and will keep the data for 30 days after the HD is no longer synced.

So, for example, I have 2 external HD at my house, one is always backed up to back blaze. Once the new year comes and I switch to 2 new HDs for 2018 back blaze won't keep the 2017 drive after 30 days. But I won't need them to as I'll have multiple local copies of the old images.

I couldn't find anything you said about that timeline on their site.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:30 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cloud storage?

chrisfphotog wrote:
Where are you getting this from?

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217664898-What-happens-to-my-backups-when-I-m-away-or-on-vacation-

"While files are expunged from the servers after 30 days if they're removed from a computer, your most recent backup snapshot will be retained for 6 months if your computer is completely unable to contact our servers (either it's shut off, or no internet connection). As long as your computer can contact Backblaze at least once every 6 months and perform a full Backblaze file scan operation, you don't delete or transfer the backup and you retain active billing, your most recent snapshot will be retained."

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:55 AM
chrisfphotog
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cloud storage?

FrancisK7 wrote:
https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217664898-What-happens-to-my-backups-when-I-m-away-or-on-vacation-

"While files are expunged from the servers after 30 days if they're removed from a computer, your most recent backup snapshot will be retained for 6 months if your computer is completely unable to contact our servers (either it's shut off, or no internet connection). As long as your computer can contact Backblaze at least once every 6 months and perform a full Backblaze file scan operation, you don't delete or transfer the backup and you retain active billing, your most recent snapshot will be retained."

exactly, IF they're removed from a computer. I guess I have no need to back up files that aren't connected to my computer (via external HD) in the cloud bc at the time they aren't connected to my computer anymore there are still 2 HDs with those files on them. I don't need files from 2-3 years ago backed up in the cloud, just the current year/most recent stuff. You know?

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cloud storage?

Ziffl3 wrote:
It may not be sexy as cloud computing... but it is very cost effective and will last for multiple years before data desegregation.
Assuming you purchase decent HD drive.

Think you nailed it here. Cloud has been turned into some cool buzzword and now everyone wants to do it with everything.

HDs are much faster and at least one person here has been burned by whatever service they used when they actually tried to recover. I'd rather not have my backups covered by small print by some other business who, like my web hosts in the past, will inevitably be bought and sold any number of times with associated issues and 'computer-says-no' support staff. There really is no need to overcomplicate this.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:52 AM
macpro88
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cloud storage?

Mark_L wrote:
Think you nailed it here. Cloud has been turned into some cool buzzword and now everyone wants to do it with everything.

HDs are much faster and at least one person here has been burned by whatever service they used when they actually tried to recover. I'd rather not have my backups covered by small print by some other business who, like my web hosts in the past, will inevitably be bought and sold any number of times with associated issues and 'computer-says-no' support staff. There really is no need to overcomplicate this.

So you don't do any off site backups? What happens in the case of a fire? Robbery? Electrical surge fries all your drives and your computer?

'Cloud' may be just some buzzword but at a decently priced service, I like knowing I can retrieve everything if something physically happens to my hard drives and computer.

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:09 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cloud storage?

macpro88 wrote:
So you don't do any off site backups? What happens in the case of a fire? Robbery? Electrical surge fries all your drives and your computer?

'Cloud' may be just some buzzword but at a decently priced service, I like knowing I can retrieve everything if something physically happens to my hard drives and computer.

Way to totally misinterpret my post. Where did I say that? Cloud isn't the only way to do backups lol, Ziffl3 and I were talking about HD backups placed offsite.

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:52 PM
macpro88
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cloud storage?

Mark_L wrote:
Way to totally misinterpret my post. Where did I say that? Cloud isn't the only way to do backups lol, Ziffl3 and I were talking about HD backups placed offsite.

True, cloud isn't the only way to do backups. But I'm failing to see how would you effectively and efficiently do offsite backups that aren't as 'sexy' as cloud?

Keeping an off site HD that you have to go pick and then re-deliver to it's off site place once a month? Twice a month? What about the data in between backups? Risk losing that?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this concept lol mostly because I'm of the younger generation and I've been spoiled with how autonomous technology has become and how easy it's made simple tasks like this even easier.

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:09 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cloud storage?

If I really wanted to ensure my recent work is back-up..... off site.
Note: The first half of the year... I have almost filled up a 2 TB drive just with RAWs and some business documentation.

I would need probably 500gig for a month. Give or take.

I looked at sync.com ... a Canadian company.
(I am sure there are a few others.)
I would need to verify raw file allow-ability.
Plus file size restrictions..... 5DmkIV and the D850 will create large RAWs. think +50mg per image.

I would actually buy my own NAS with internet access and find a friend who would let me keep it at there place.

Come home from shooting 1-2 weddings over a weekend.... on monday evening (after midnight) ... back up to the NAS. You don't want to bring down your friends internet service.

Going with a reliable company ... no space restriction or file size/type restriction will be anywhere from 10-$40 USD/month.

If have good upload internet 40mb/s plus ... this should go pretty fast. Still some time though.
If you have true 1 gig/s to the house.... you are in heaven. Upload should be real fast.
Me... not so lucky.

To the OP... It will be interesting to hear what solution you find as a service going forward.

-Mark

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password