Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode
bs kite
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode




My question/comment:

1. Has anyone used Focus Peaking before? Am wondering if it really makes focusing a lot easier. I sure hope so.

2. Seems Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter might be a great tool for certain wildlife opportunities. I have learned to use the tilting LCD screen but still....MF is a major problem. IF IT WORKS......Focus Peaking could be a great tool to that end.

https://photographylife.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nikon-d850

Following excerpts from the above link:

……Focus Peaking
“Nikon has also integrated focus peaking into the Nikon D850, which is great for those who desire this feature when using live view mode. Focus peaking will make it easier to focus on subjects, since it will highlight the areas of contrast using a particular color like red, white, yellow or blue. This feature should be particularly good to use with manual focus lenses. However, I wish Nikon offered an EVF option with the D850, since it would have made focus peaking much more useful when utilizing the viewfinder, rather than the LCD screen of the camera”.

..….Silent Shutter Mode
“Nikon has introduced a new “Silent Shutter” mode to the D850, which allows the camera to take advantage of the electronic shutter when using the camera in live view mode. What’s great about this mode, is that it not only completely eliminates any kind of shutter (since the mirror is raised and the shutter is open), but also allows photographers to stay discreet when shooting wildlife or when taking pictures during a wedding ceremony in a church. When shooting continuously, the Nikon D850 can capture up to 6 fps at full 45.7 MP resolution and if one switches to high speed mode, it is possible to reach up to 30 fps at 8.8 MP in DX crop.

I have a color deficiency (Daltonism). Depending on the background, I am barely able to see the little focusing square in LiveView. Most often I cannot see it at all...NOTHING!

If it were blue I would see it clearly.

Robert

Edited on Aug 26, 2017 at 12:01 AM · View previous versions



Aug 25, 2017 at 11:41 PM
bs kite
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


For stationary (only; i.e. not moving) wildlife subjects, I've come to often prefer the use of the Right Angle Finder or tilting LCD to the viewfinder.

If Focus Peaking is highly discernible to my eyes, I think I will use it a lot on stationary wildlife subjects.

In the above excerpt, it reads ".........since it will highlight the areas of contrast using a particular color like, red, white, yellow or blue."

Wondering if we will be able to select the color.

Hope they publish an online D850 manual before they ship.

Robert



Aug 25, 2017 at 11:52 PM
RoyC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


bs kite wrote:
Hope they publish an online D850 manual before they ship.

Robert


The norm has been to post the manuals on the day the body/lens is released.




Aug 26, 2017 at 12:06 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


bs kite wrote:
For stationary (only; i.e. not moving) wildlife subjects, I've come to often prefer the use of the Right Angle Finder or tilting LCD to the viewfinder.

If Focus Peaking is highly discernible to my eyes, I think I will use it a lot on stationary wildlife subjects.

In the above excerpt, it reads ".........since it will highlight the areas of contrast using a particular color like, red, white, yellow or blue."

Wondering if we will be able to select the color.

Hope they publish an online D850 manual before they ship.

Robert


Every focus peaking I've used (mostly Fuji) have let you select from the available colours the one you prefer. Usually default is red.



Aug 26, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Danner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


This camera looks like a universal tool. Does everything well.


Aug 26, 2017 at 12:36 AM
birdied
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


I use focus peaking with the Olympus OEM 1MK11. I have only used it with the EVF and find it most useful especially for macro work. It outlines the area in focus with the color you choose.

Birdie



Aug 26, 2017 at 12:39 AM
notherenow
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


Usually makers give you a few choices for focus peaking colour and a few strengths to choose between.

One of my cameras has a choice between red, white and yellow and another has blue, yellow and green.

It is a good aid at getting focus close before using magnification for the last bit.

Many people suggest not setting it at full strength.



Aug 26, 2017 at 01:25 AM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


Yeah, focus peaking on my mirrorless cameras (A7RII and Pany G85) is a decent tool to get you pretty close, but usually needs some final tweaking. If you are shooting with really fast glass it can let you down if the lens is not sharp enough wide open. Stopped down focus peaking can do pretty well if the lens is sharp and the DOF large enough for peaking to be accurate enough. You also need to work with the settings on the camera and take lots of pictures with focus peaking to get the feel for when it will give you the most accurate focus.

- J



Aug 26, 2017 at 04:30 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


dumplinknet
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


The new D850 live view is quite laggy to use. But it's something. Just don't expect it to be anything like a mirrorless.

Silent shutter is useful, but it can only be used while the focus is locked. You cannot continuously focus.




Aug 26, 2017 at 06:22 AM
Chris Dees
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


dumplinknet wrote:
The new D850 live view is quite laggy to use. But it's something. Just don't expect it to be anything like a mirrorless.

Silent shutter is useful, but it can only be used while the focus is locked. You cannot continuously focus.



How did you come to this conclusion? Own experience?

I played with the D850 a few days ago and I find it better than with the D810. It's probably not like the newer mirrorless (I have no experience ), but it looked very nice too me. AF in LV was not bad either.



Aug 26, 2017 at 06:53 AM
Alexluu627
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode



Watched online videos of them playing with camera. All of them say the live view lags a bit after each shot. Nothing new to dslr with ovf.
Chris Dees wrote:
How did you come to this conclusion? Own experience?

I played with the D850 a few days ago and I find it better than with the D810. It's probably not like the newer mirrorless (I have no experience ), but it looked very nice too me. AF in LV was not bad either.




Aug 26, 2017 at 02:37 PM
notherenow
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


dumplinknet wrote:
Silent shutter is useful, but it can only be used while the focus is locked. You cannot continuously focus.



That tells me that Nikon has a LONG way to go before there is a Nikon FF mirrorless camera (either that or they have crippled this to protect something?).

All that silent shutter is, is using the electronic shutter and there should be no reason it doesn't focus.

I would expect there to be some rolling shutter (in stills if panning fast) and banding in some light as those things go hand in hand with (most) cameras with silent shutter (A9 excluded) but it should be able to focus!

Edit: Maybe they crippled it deliberately BECAUSE of rolling shutter. IE they COULD get it to focus at 4 to 6 fps but with all those pixels and for some of the things it is going to be used for, rolling shutter might be an issue (I can make it happen at will with my two silent shutter cameras).



Aug 26, 2017 at 05:39 PM
Stoffer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


notherenow wrote:
That tells me that Nikon has a LONG way to go before there is a Nikon FF mirrorless camera (either that or they have crippled this to protect something?).

All that silent shutter is, is using the electronic shutter and there should be no reason it doesn't focus.

I would expect there to be some rolling shutter (in stills if panning fast) and banding in some light as those things go hand in hand with (most) cameras with silent shutter (A9 excluded) but it should be able to focus!



Nah, I think the contrast based auto focus is just too slow to work reliable for continuous focus between frames, so they probably disabled it on purpose. Otherwise their support would be swarmed with users complaining that their images are out of focus.

There is a reason why Nikon hasn't included phase detect auto focus on the sensor like the Sony A7rII for example, but who knows why.



Aug 26, 2017 at 05:48 PM
notherenow
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


Stoffer wrote:
Nah, I think the contrast based auto focus is just too slow to work reliable for continuous focus between frames, so they probably disabled it on purpose. Otherwise their support would be swarmed with users complaining that their images are out of focus.

There is a reason why Nikon hasn't included phase detect auto focus on the sensor like the Sony A7rII for example, but who knows why.


Maybe but my two cameras with a silent shutter are CDAF only (Sony and Panasonic) and they both focus ok with silent shutter.

The A7s can not focus faster than around 2 fps continuously with the mechanical shutter but it does just as well with electronic shutter only (including in silent mode) and focuses down to very low light levels with it too.

The more I think about it the more it may be because they don't want complaints about horrible rolling shutter used on things like birds and sports when panning at any speed really.

Would people rather it could focus and just accept rolling shutter sometimes or that they crippled it? Of course there may well be another reason.



Aug 26, 2017 at 05:58 PM
rw11
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850: Focus Peaking and Silent Shutter Mode


maybe Nikon has disabled it to protect the J series


Aug 26, 2017 at 06:08 PM







FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password