FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · New rumored Profoto product

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New rumored Profoto product

My biggest concern would be new camera model compatibility and the speed of firmware updates. From what I recall, Profoto were pretty slow to resolve problems around TTL exposures with the B1 and Canon 1DXII.

Yes, $1000 is a lot for an on-camera speedlite relative to those available from Canon or Nikon and considerably more than those from Godox, for example. But... it could be worth it in some situations if it proves reliable, robust and with much better thermal dissipation than other comparably sized units.

Shooting weddings with the Canon 600EX-RT (first version) units, the biggest problem IMO is the inevitable thermal protection shutdown with rapid shooting. While better than some off-brands, it always eventually happens. While one can quickly turn off-on the on-camera flash to reset it, it's a hassle to reset those off-camera up on stands. And off-brand, units like the Godox AD-200, eventually hit a prescribed number of consecutive pops that force a shutdown, though it's a much higher number (100 at 1/4, 150 at 1/8, 200 at 1/16, 300 at 1/32..).

Someone posted their (possibly Profoto sponsored) review of the A1 over in the General Photography forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1510297

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM
stuuke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New rumored Profoto product

It is expensive but I'm heavily invested in the Profoto Air system so I'm considering it. I really haven't used my speedlites off camera since I bought my B1s. With Nikon the price of the radio strobes and transmitter needed to shoot with radio signals isn't quite at A1 level but it's not as far off as some might think. An on-camera flash that works seamlessly with my strobes and air remote definitely has perks.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:56 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.