3       end

New rumored Profoto product

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New rumored Profoto product

adamdewilde wrote:
With the announcement what I'm dying to know is two fold:

1) Will an A1-N trigger (and TTL function) and A1-C or A1-S (when the Sony model comes)?
2) Will an A1-N trigger/work in TTL with a X1D?

If anyone is wondering why I'd want to know if an A1-N will work (full TTL) with an A1-C and S is because I'm using a A9 for events and this flash doesn't seem bad. I have considered buying back a small Canon kit hence the A1-C and I have a X1D which by right should work with an A1-N... And coincidentally I'd want
...Show more

I'm wondering the same thing. I would assume that the Air TTL-N would trigger any A1 that is off-camera, but who knows?

It would be highly annoying if an A1-C, A1-N or A1-S is tied to that system when used off camera.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New rumored Profoto product

Ahh! FAQ to the rescue!

Can I use A1 off-camera with Sony, Olympus or Fujifilm?
Yes, A1 can be used with full functionality with any Profoto Air Remote TTL on camera. It doesn’t matter which brand A1 is made for when it is used off-camera.

http://profoto.com/int/products/lights/on-camera-flashes/profoto-a1

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:36 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New rumored Profoto product

The A1 version for Sony won't be out before next year. Get on the program, Profoto!

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New rumored Profoto product

This is a product wedding photographers been waiting for (who own a Profoto system as their OCF at receptions, etc)

However, they're late to the game and I'm definitely skipping this A1 product for a few reasons:
1) I've already figured out a way to trigger my on camera SB-900 flashes and my B1's + B2's
2) I'm getting out of the wedding business.

Again, great product but VERY overpriced for a 76 W/s unit.

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:00 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New rumored Profoto product

This is exactly what I've been waiting for as a wedding photographer! As long as it can trigger and control the power of B1's, I'm in.

The watt seconds sounds like it is around the same power as most other flashes, which is fine for me for an on camera flash as long as it recycles fast enough and has a good battery life. The controls and layout look very slick.

People are going to bitch about the price, but Profoto is the best in the biz IMHO. From build quality, usability, and they really won a place in my heart by updating the B1's to basically match the features of the B1x. Let's not forget a new high end Nikon or Canon speedlight costs around $600 new. And personally I've never felt like the other third party options have consistently good TTL output.

Sep 19, 2017 at 07:47 PM
Jay Ford

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New rumored Profoto product

I will NEVER forget a major camera brand speedlight costs too much, nor that Profoto costs even more. Never fear.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New rumored Profoto product

I'm already a Profoto junkie, so the price doesn't faze. The lack of fan cooling is a problem, however. Particularly in the studio, my Speedlights are worked hard and thermal shutdown at full energy happens quickly. The Nikon SB-5000 is the breakthrough product in this regard, while A1 drops the ball.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:55 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New rumored Profoto product

rico wrote:
I'm already a Profoto junkie, so the price doesn't faze. The lack of fan cooling is a problem, however. Particularly in the studio, my Speedlights are worked hard and thermal shutdown at full energy happens quickly. The Nikon SB-5000 is the breakthrough product in this regard, while A1 drops the ball.

Where's the reports of overheating?

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:41 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New rumored Profoto product

Stoffer wrote:
Ahh! FAQ to the rescue!

http://profoto.com/int/products/lights/on-camera-flashes/profoto-a1

NICE... I didn't even know they had an FAQ didn't see it the other day.

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:58 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New rumored Profoto product

I own and love a lot of Profoto stuff, but this offering kind of mystifies me from a cost/benefit perspective. $1000 for what is basically a Speedlite? Sure the ergonomics are nice (especially the magnetic attachment ring) but is this really worth 2 SB900s? Is the battery life that much better? And how much are the batteries as compared to AAs?

I'm definitely going to wait-and-see on this one. Also, can a single unit be used across more than one system, or are you locked into different versions for Canon, Nikon, and/or Sony? In other words, could either my Sony or Nikon cameras use the same A1?

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New rumored Profoto product

Arka wrote:
I own and love a lot of Profoto stuff, but this offering kind of mystifies me from a cost/benefit perspective. $1000 for what is basically a Speedlite? Sure the ergonomics are nice (especially the magnetic attachment ring) but is this really worth 2 SB900s? Is the battery life that much better? And how much are the batteries as compared to AAs?

I'm definitely going to wait-and-see on this one. Also, can a single unit be used across more than one system, or are you locked into different versions for Canon, Nikon, and/or Sony? In other words, could either my Sony or
...Show more

Those are my thoughts as well. I'm heavily invested into Profoto, own two B1's and one B2, tons of batteries, strip boxes, reflectors and modifiers. But this "speedlite" is really a bit too costly IMO. I'll keep on shooting the poor mans way (if that) with my current SB900's with TTL pass through the Phottix Strato units.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New rumored Profoto product

I just read that they are platform limited, meaning I'd need to buy different units for my Nikon versus my Sony. Forget it. Not worth the money to me. I'd rather go with a B2.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:06 PM
daggah
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New rumored Profoto product

It's a thousand dollars per unit because Profoto knows that if you've already invested thousands into their AirTTL system and need a speedlight that would play well with the system, you don't really have any other choice.

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:53 AM
zurkzees
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New rumored Profoto product

Arka wrote:

Same, until recently. I had Acute2, AcuteB, B1, B2 (listed for sale right now in the buy and sell forum).
Sold/selling them all and except the 7B that can cover both on location/studio so I can still use some of the
unique Profoto modifiers I still have.

What pushed me to offload almost all Profotos are lack of Fuji support when I switch Camera brand. Then objectively looking at cost for the first time. $300 for 250 pops on the original B1 battery and you can't even re-cell them I bet it's the same for these lights. I've been running with an AD200 in the last few months and they work great with my workflow.

I was a huge Profoto all the way fan boy, built my portfolio using their lights for the last 7 years.
However in the last couple of years their new products doesn't hold much weight as they use to.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:50 AM
stuuke
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New rumored Profoto product

Not that you need it with the Air system but does the A1 have slave mode?

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:55 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New rumored Profoto product

There is no mention of it in the manual I believe, so I guess that it can be ruled out :

https://profoto.azureedge.net/cdn/04a6e72/globalassets/inriver/resources/profoto-a1-user-guide_en.pdf

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New rumored Profoto product

daggah wrote:
It's a thousand dollars per unit because Profoto knows that if you've already invested thousands into their AirTTL system and need a speedlight that would play well with the system, you don't really have any other choice.

But if I have a TTL-N trigger, could I use it to fire a remote A1 that is designed to work with Canon (or later, Sony?)

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:21 AM
story_teller
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New rumored Profoto product

Arka wrote:
But if I have a TTL-N trigger, could I use it to fire a remote A1 that is designed to work with Canon (or later, Sony?)

It will not work in TTL or HSS, but it may be possible to fire a remote A1 for a different camera brand if it's in manual. It will be interested to try it out.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:36 PM
bka20d
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New rumored Profoto product

story_teller wrote:

It will not work in TTL or HSS, but it may be possible to fire a remote A1 for a different camera brand if it's in manual. It will be interested to try it out.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. This came up on the previous page. From the A1 FAQs:

"Can I use A1 off-camera with Sony, Olympus or Fujifilm?

Yes, A1 can be used with full functionality with any Profoto Air Remote TTL on camera. It doesn’t matter which brand A1 is made for when it is used off-camera."

Edited on Sep 25, 2017 at 12:05 AM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:03 AM
story_teller
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New rumored Profoto product

bka20d wrote:
Sorry, but you are incorrect. This came up on the previous page. From the A1 FAQs:

"Can I use A1 off-camera with Sony, Olympus or Fujifilm?

Yes, A1 can be used with full functionality with any Profoto Air Remote TTL on camera. It doesn’t matter which brand A1 is made for when it is used off-camera."

Ok, it sounds like they made it a universal receiver for any Air Remote TTL. I could see where it would be necessary to have the on-camera TTL transmitter designated to work with a specific camera manufacturer's software and the receiver be universal. A nice feature if you use more than one camera manufacturer's equipment.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:20 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password