FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

New rumored Profoto product

cambyses
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New rumored Profoto product

http://www.lightingrumours.com/profoto-rumour-9013

Heard the same rumor from the rep at a local camera store. He said he has seen it but cannot say what it is. He just said it will be a nice complement to their B1/B2 lights, and in particular, would be useful for wedding photogs.

Some people are guessing that it will be a smaller speedlight-type flash with lithium batteries working within their Air-TTL platform and competing with the new line of Chinese flashes (Godox, Hähnel, etc.)...

Care to guess what we will see from Profoto? or perhaps what you would wish this to be...

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:40 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New rumored Profoto product

I want the IGBT version of the AcuteB.

Aug 26, 2017 at 06:48 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New rumored Profoto product

If I had to guess it'd be battery powered and small. Godox has already shown photographers there are completely "new possibilities" and Profoto is going to enter the space with a premium product that will be overpriced but link up with their installed base of (also overpriced) excellent modifiers.

Aug 26, 2017 at 02:44 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New rumored Profoto product

One thing that I find hard to replicate with flash in a small, efficient, battery powered, portable form factor, is the equivalent to a dedolight (with or without DP1). I'd love to see the flash equivalent to a dedolight.

At worse, the IGBT version of the AcuteB would be quite exciting as well .

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:03 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New rumored Profoto product

rico wrote:
I want the IGBT version of the AcuteB.

Yes!

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:59 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New rumored Profoto product

This is probably what it is, official announcement expected soon:
http://www.diyphotography.net/photos-show-profoto-expanding-range-first-ever-speedlight/

Looks cool but expensive! And I rarely, if ever, use on camera flash anyway!

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:19 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New rumored Profoto product

If the head is zoomable, I might be in !

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New rumored Profoto product

The display shows 30° beam angle, so presumably there is some zoom capability.

EBH

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:56 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New rumored Profoto product

Thanks, noticed that as well. And now the big question that I've got is : have they succeeded in matching the modelling light to the flash tube ? I'm curious to see.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New rumored Profoto product

It better be weather sealed. There is something that annoys me every time I look at my D1's and can see circuit boards through the vents.

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New rumored Profoto product

Fresnel head is interesting but 76ws and 1.2s recycle not so interesting. Godox has that already for under £100. Doesn't even look to be a bare bulb option either.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New rumored Profoto product

There isn't much you can do to go beyond the A1's Ws rating in a compact package.

Since it's got a fresnel, if the zoom goes tight enough, it will easily match or even surpass a 250 Ws B2 with a grid for example.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New rumored Profoto product

I find claims like these to be dubious. At best the center of a narrow beam of coverage might approach 200ws output but the coverage is a limitation. Put it in a modifier that gets 3/4 or full length coverage at 6-8ft and then we'll see how it really stands.

MayaTlab wrote:
There isn't much you can do to go beyond the A1's Ws rating in a compact package.

Since it's got a fresnel, if the zoom goes tight enough, it will easily match or even surpass a 250 Ws B2 with a grid for example.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:18 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New rumored Profoto product

jlafferty wrote:
I find claims like these to be dubious. At best the center of a narrow beam of coverage might approach 200ws output but the coverage is a limitation. Put it in a modifier that gets 3/4 or full length coverage at 6-8ft and then we'll see how it really stands.

Which is exactly why I explicitely compared it to a B2 with a grid, i.e exactly where an optical modifier (here, the fresnel) will easily close the gap. The grid absorbs light rays, meaning that the light output at the centre is close to the head, when bare. The fresnel re-directs them, so you get more light hitting a smaller area.

Heck, even a lowly 430 EX III at 100mm can match in terms of light output a B2 with a 10° grid. I've got both of them, and tested it.

Put them in an umbrella or a soft box, and yep, of course the B2 will be far more powerful. Because that's a scenario where the fresnel isn't bringing any advantage since you aren't exploiting its optical properties.

In the example below, the silver umbrella (which is a sort of optical modifier) on the left sends a beam of light that's roughly comparable in terms of angle to a 20° grid. To get the same light output on the wall in front of the setup, the pack was set at 5.0 for the umbrella, and around 7.5 for the grid, so the umbrella is around 2.5 stops more efficient. Depending on how the A1 fresnel works, it can reach similar figures. Of course the light quality is totally different, but the point is : an optical modifier is more efficient than a grid.

Edited on Sep 16, 2017 at 04:23 PM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:00 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New rumored Profoto product

OK. But then what's the point in comparing 10 degree coverage? In a decade or so of working, apart from tabletop jewelry, I've never had use of coverage that narrow. For most photography it's an irrelevant spec & context.

MayaTlab wrote:
Which is exactly why I explicitely compared it to a B2 with a grid, i.e exactly where an optical modifier (here, the fresnel) will easily close the gap. The grid absorbs light rays, meaning that the light output at the centre is close to the head, when bare. The fresnel re-directs them, so you get more light hitting a smaller area.

Heck, even a lowly 430 EX III can match in terms of light output a B2 with a 10° grid. I've got both of them, and tested it.

Put them in an umbrella or a soft box, and yep,
...Show more

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:06 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New rumored Profoto product

jlafferty wrote:
OK. But then what's the point in comparing 10 degree coverage? In a decade or so of working, apart from tabletop jewelry, I've never had use of coverage that narrow. For most photography it's an irrelevant spec & context.

10° is an extreme example. The question is where is the cutoff point at which the A1's optical modifier is effective enough that it can close the gap to a B2 with a grid. We'll know soon enough . It might very well be 30° for example.

In addition, it means that if you're looking for a small point source light with a relatively narrow beam angle, you won't have to carry 250 Ws of power to do that. The A1 will be a much lighter proposition.

Currently, I sometimes carry two B2 packs. With this, if it really does what I hope it does, I could see myself replacing one pack with the A1 in some situations, for an overall lighter weight, and a different set of versatile options.

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:21 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New rumored Profoto product

I saw your edit. You make a comparison that's a good starting point. Thanks for sharing. TBH the character of a 20 degree fresnel or grid versus a 20 degree spread from another modifier has more complications, not just efficiency.

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:22 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New rumored Profoto product

jlafferty wrote:
I saw your edit. You make a comparison that's a good starting point. Thanks for sharing. TBH the character of a 20 degree fresnel or grid versus a 20 degree spread from another modifier has more complications, not just efficiency.

I totally agree, I edited the post to clarify that .

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:24 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New rumored Profoto product

And the modelling light zooms with the head !

https://youtu.be/0cbEagqmdQU?t=10m10s

It's also confirmed in the manual.

Let's hope that it's a reasonably accurate match.

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:52 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New rumored Profoto product

With the announcement what I'm dying to know is two fold:

1) Will an A1-N trigger (and TTL function) and A1-C or A1-S (when the Sony model comes)?
2) Will an A1-N trigger/work in TTL with a X1D?

If anyone is wondering why I'd want to know if an A1-N will work (full TTL) with an A1-C and S is because I'm using a A9 for events and this flash doesn't seem bad. I have considered buying back a small Canon kit hence the A1-C and I have a X1D which by right should work with an A1-N... And coincidentally I'd want three A1 units one on camera and two off camera. So saves me from buying 9 of them if they all talk to each other...

Also if I do use triggers.. Will an Air TTL-N trigger a A1-C? Sorta the same question as #1 but yeah.

I mean of course pending quality of light.. I mean if I don't really see a noticeable difference in colour quality then I'd just stick with various speed lights I own and overkill B1x lights and have various flash triggers.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:06 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password