New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Up against the Wall!

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Up against the Wall!

Well, it happened. I went to work on my eclipse college and Ps 6 said "Can't open your files." Actually it just failed. Looked all over for camera raw 9.1.2 . (I have one tick back.) The start up dialogue claimed I needed it. No luck and not sure it would help. So Adobe stopped updating for new cameras. Interestingly Lr 6.0 has no problems. If Lr can read the raw, I'd bet you one doughnut hole it's the same code for CS6.

So I have choices:

(1) Convert everything to dng. Don't why I'm skeptical about that. Anyone with an opinion on how faithful it is to the original Canon raw? Also I guess there's someway to do an auto-convert, but it will slow things down.

(2) Say tork it and go over full time to Affinity Photo. A learning curve but maybe it's time.

(3) Stop fighting and just pay the vig. Not like "Guido de Adobe" is going to cut me a break for my what? 20 years of faithfulness. (I don't even want to add up what I've really spend to make sure Adobe's execs get great bonuses. And that includes the late and much lamented Pagemaker.)

Just muttering, using the b-word, and wondering just how "free" this free market is when there is only one seller rather the economic definition of "Many buyers and sellers." Remember that from Econ 101 back in university days.

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:24 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Up against the Wall!

While I personally don't use it, there is Canon's DPP.....

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:35 PM
ChrisAttebery
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Up against the Wall!

If you keep your eyes open you can get Adobe CC (LR+PS) for $90 a year. Maybe it's time to become "one of us".

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Up against the Wall!

I convert to dng on import so I have no bugs about it I've not needed to use ps in months but not been doing to much photography either

Aug 25, 2017 at 07:17 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Up against the Wall!

Capture One Pro + Affinity is a great combo. I switched 18 months ago and am happy about it.

Aug 25, 2017 at 08:01 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Up against the Wall!

Emile Gregoire wrote:
Capture One Pro + Affinity is a great combo. I switched 18 months ago and am happy about it.

I had C1P - ver. 7 I think. Played with it but didn't adopt it. Went to check on current version and they didn't offer a upgrade. $300 is a bit of a bite. I need to get the trial when I have some time and play with it.

Do you find their DAM to be as good as or hopefully better than Lr? At the moment I'm stuck in with its adequate but certainly not great capacities.

Robert

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Up against the Wall!

OntheRez wrote:
Well, it happened. I went to work on my eclipse college and Ps 6 said "Can't open your files." Actually it just failed. Looked all over for camera raw 9.1.2 . (I have one tick back.) The start up dialogue claimed I needed it. No luck and not sure it would help. So Adobe stopped updating for new cameras. Interestingly Lr 6.0 has no problems. If Lr can read the raw, I'd bet you one doughnut hole it's the same code for CS6.

OK I have to confess I don't know the answer as I have CC but if you have LR6 is it not possible to send files to CS6 using the 'edit in' command?

Aug 26, 2017 at 01:59 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Up against the Wall!

If you need a good DAM then C1 is still out. It's getting better and I'm finally at the point of trying their catalog function again but it used to be drama with loading times up to 10 minutes for a catalog of 10000 images, let alone the 50000 images I've got. I've split things up now and 5000 images at least seems to be fine. Maybe they've got it under control?

Then there's Phase One MediaPro, specifically as a DAM. You don't want to go there either. Core functionality hasn't been updated in 10 years. Camera updates are far in between and highly irregular.

So far the negatives. Once we start talking image quality, oh boy

OntheRez wrote:
I had C1P - ver. 7 I think. Played with it but didn't adopt it. Went to check on current version and they didn't offer a upgrade. $300 is a bit of a bite. I need to get the trial when I have some time and play with it.

Do you find their DAM to be as good as or hopefully better than Lr? At the moment I'm stuck in with its adequate but certainly not great capacities.

Robert

Aug 26, 2017 at 06:11 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Up against the Wall!

OntheRez wrote:
If Lr can read the raw, I'd bet you one doughnut hole it's the same code for CS6.

Not quite. There have been several major changes under the hood for both PSCC and ACR since PSCS6 was released. The underlying support for the most recent versions of ACR are not compatible.

Since Lightroom 6 is the most current production version, the ACR architecture is supported.

Another option would be, if you don't have Lr6, you could buy the perpetual version and you can pass over your RAW edits to PSC6 for further editing. It's ACR with a different UI.

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:39 AM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Up against the Wall!

You could try the trial for DXO and see if that fits your style.

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.