Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

  

Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one
  
 
billsamuels
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


I took photos of the eclipse and while I have Lightroom down, I can't seem to get anywhere with Photoshop CC. Even after getting how-to books, I haven't found any good detailed instructions on how to do things successfully.

I want to create one photo that has all of the different phases of totality together in a line by where they fit in across the sky. I also want to have a background that looks like what the real sky looked like, which was that time when the first few stars came out after sunset. So I've been trying to accomplish:

1. How do I create a background from a photo of the sky (I have the photo)?
2. How do I import each phase of totality into this background in a line?

I've been trying to do the import with a black background, but the problem has been getting the second, third, fourth, etc. photos into the scene. The first photo I use the commands Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V and it places photo #1 in the center.

However, when I try to do this for the second photo, no matter which photo it is, it's a lot bigger than the first photo and it comes in over the first, and then I can't remove it from the first photo - it's as if it sticks to the first photo!!!

I also haven't been able to use cut & paste either.

Any help on importing these photos as stated above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Bill



Aug 25, 2017 at 05:30 PM
Ho1972
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


Create a panorama background, say 10x30, or whatever's most appropriate, which contains your sky. Drag each image into PS and note that doing so should create a new layer for each image (it can also create a smart object, depending on your settings). Each layer can be resized if needed by one of the Transform commands (Free or Scale should do). Try the Lighten mode for each of your eclipse layers. This should allow all to be visible against the presumably darker background but note that any overlap of layers will also be visible. You will probably need to use layer masks.

Sorry to be so brief but I'm at work and break is over. Good luck.




Aug 25, 2017 at 06:43 PM
billsamuels
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


Ho1972 wrote:
Create a panorama background, say 10x30, or whatever's most appropriate, which contains your sky. Drag each image into PS and note that doing so should create a new layer for each image (it can also create a smart object, depending on your settings). Each layer can be resized if needed by one of the Transform commands (Free or Scale should do). Try the Lighten mode for each of your eclipse layers. This should allow all to be visible against the presumably darker background but note that any overlap of layers will also be visible. You will probably need to use
...Show more

Wow, the drag and drop worked great! The only thing I couldn't figure out is putting the background into it. PS didn't give me an option for the background, it gave me either black, white, or translucent. Any ideas or am I doing it wrong?
I started with File - Open - and it gave me dimensions for a new box, which I typed in 8.5 x 11. That's where it gave me the color choices, but no choice for a photo instead. Do I have the right starting box? Am I doing it right?



Aug 25, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


"Can I drag a new photo directly into the pano background? How would I do that?"

To make this easier make you you turn OFF the Application Frame and disable Tabbed Files. With your background image open, open one of the other images you want to drag into the new background. Select the Move Tool (shortcut Press the V key or simply hold down the Command or Ctrl key if your Mac or PC) Click and hold in the image you want to drag and simply drag it and drop it onto the background image. It will automatically create a new layer with that image - a new layer that you can move around using the Move Tool, resize using Free Transform, mask using any of the masking tools or alter color and tone using Adjustment Layers.



Aug 25, 2017 at 07:45 PM
billsamuels
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


Peter Figen wrote:
"Can I drag a new photo directly into the pano background? How would I do that?"

To make this easier make you you turn OFF the Application Frame and disable Tabbed Files. With your background image open, open one of the other images you want to drag into the new background. Select the Move Tool (shortcut Press the V key or simply hold down the Command or Ctrl key if your Mac or PC) Click and hold in the image you want to drag and simply drag it and drop it onto the background image. It will automatically create a
...Show more

That worked - thanks.

The last thing I'm trying to figure out (because it hasn't worked yet) is getting the background image. I wanted to use a sky photo similar to what I saw during the eclipse. When I open and create the application frame or the background that I'm dropping the photos of the eclipse into, using a photo is NOT one of the options. It gives me white, black, and invisible (I know there's a word for that). I suppose it's like a wallpaper, but with only three single-color options and no option for a photo, what am I not seeing here?



Aug 25, 2017 at 10:27 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



mphocus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


This was a good tutorial. https://mattk.com/eclipse/


Aug 25, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Michael White
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


Try putting each image on a different layer then creat a canvas large enough to pan those on then work on your layering techniques when you get them positioned then worry about the blending with masks


Aug 26, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


"It gives me white, black, and invisible (I know there's a word for that). I suppose it's like a wallpaper, but with only three single-color options and no option for a photo, what am I not seeing here?"

When you make a new document, it's just a blank canvas. It won't have any image or images in it. You typically start with either a white background or a transparent one and then drag your other images, in this case, your cloud image or images, which will then create a new background, per se, where you can drag your eclipse images then.



Aug 26, 2017 at 12:22 AM
Ho1972
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


billsamuels wrote:
[The last thing I'm trying to figure out (because it hasn't worked yet) is getting the background image. I wanted to use a sky photo similar to what I saw during the eclipse. When I open and create the application frame or the background that I'm dropping the photos of the eclipse into, using a photo is NOT one of the options. It gives me white, black, and invisible (I know there's a word for that). I suppose it's like a wallpaper, but with only three single-color options and no option for a photo, what am I not seeing here?


Drag the image you wish to use for a background into your PS document the same way you did with the other photos. Put it on the bottom of the layer stack. Voila, background.

If you want to do it the official way:

Convert a Photoshop layer into a background

Select a Photoshop layer in the Layers panel.

Choose Layer > New > Background From Layer.

Any transparent pixels in the layer are converted to the background color, and the layer drops to the bottom of the layer stack.



Aug 26, 2017 at 01:56 PM
billsamuels
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photoshop problem - can't cut & paste photos into one


IT WORKS!!!
Thanks for the great information. Worked like a charm.



Sep 03, 2017 at 05:29 AM







FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password