New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Strange thing in the sky

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange thing in the sky

In typical Dave fashion "oh look! shiny!"
With over 450 frames to sort through, this is happening to me a lot this week.

I found myself compelled to take a closer look at this image. I originally wasn't thrilled with it due to the funky lens flare, but unless I'm smokin something, I think this might be a rather cool shot. Only basic LR edit work done.

I have no emotional attachment to this particular shot as I have a ton more that are of more "traditional" quality that you have all probably seen this week. So if I'm way out in left field on this let me know.

Still working on my "master" eclipse image(s) so this is just a side distraction.

What say you folks?

Dave

Eclipse Flare

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange thing in the sky

This has a sort of gee whiz factor to it, but I suspect that your other shots will retain a longer sense of satisfaction.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange thing in the sky

Love the framing and flares!

Jeff

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange thing in the sky

I dig it! Looks cool AND has a real story to go along with it. Gimmicky? Maybe? I guess the impact depends on your intended audience.

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:39 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange thing in the sky

Weird - a lot more flare is coming through on the monitor at home. Maybe I'm just brain dead?

I'd pull that back a fair amount to not be as dominating.

Jeff

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:55 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange thing in the sky

ben egbert wrote:
This has a sort of gee whiz factor to it, but I suspect that your other shots will retain a longer sense of satisfaction.

That's the kind of honest feedback I like Ben. Thanks, I was wondering if that "gee wiz" thing might be going on here.
I'l let this one stew for a bit while I work on the "real deal" images.

And speaking of the real deal images.....
I just finished a rough draft of one of my totality sets!
All I can say is, Holy crap!!! Wait till you see this beast! It's looking real good so far but I need to do a lot more work to get the next run cleaned up and more accurate. My brain is leaking a little after this excersize but it's so going to be worth it.

Dave

---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
Love the framing and flares!

Jeff

Thank ya Jeff!

Kevin T wrote:
I dig it! Looks cool AND has a real story to go along with it. Gimmicky? Maybe? I guess the impact depends on your intended audience.

Thanks Kevin! I'm not sure if Lens flare is the right terminology for what ever that is. I think it's actually the polishing process done on a lens and due to the intense light it bloomed or something. IDK
Speaking of story behind it. This was one of my F-up shots where I forgot to put the filter back on.
I just switch settings and was in the clicking my butt off mode. I was just so overwhelmed with what I was seeing with my naked eyes that all my training and practicing went right out the window by this point.
Quit literally a mind blowing sight.

beavens wrote:
Weird - a lot more flare is coming through on the monitor at home. Maybe I'm just brain dead?

I'd pull that back a fair amount to not be as dominating.

Jeff

When you say "pull back" what do you mean? The brightness of the flares?
Thanks again Mr!

Dave

Aug 25, 2017 at 05:22 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange thing in the sky

I love this Dave!! Like Ben said, there is a gee whiz factor to this photo, a uniqueness that is unlike any other eclipse photo I've ever seen. Beautifully composed and processed. All your time and preparation paid off with this and other shots you've shown us.

Steve

Aug 25, 2017 at 05:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange thing in the sky

I think it is a wonderful image that tells us a story about light that represents it's origin (for us at least), its diametric (white - black) qualities, and the impact of how color is derived from the origin.

I might spend some time working on it, but I really think this can be rather spectacular as a representative study / presentation.

Here's a crude "concept" (really needs to be worked from raw) of where I might try to take it.

Aug 26, 2017 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.