New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

One of my main applications for my XT2 is shooting landscapes, typically with the 10-24 mounted. I often use my Olympus EM1.2 for other shooting needs, such as handheld stuff, longer tele shots etc.

I think the 10-24 is one of the best ultra wides on the market today, combining a modest price, great optics, and unlike lenses such as the Olympus 7-14mm, it can take filters easily.

Given I'm not using the XT2 to its full feature set, and often using the LCD anyways, I've been toying with the idea of selling the XT2 and getting a cheaper/smaller XT20.

Same great image quality, but with the very useful addition of a touch LCD. I admit I'm often tapping the XT2 screen and taken back when nothing happens lol.

Granted the XT20 isn't weatherproof, but then again, neither is the 10-24, so I don't know if its a huge dealbreaker either way.

I've handled the XT10 and found it a little small, and the EVF was a bit lackluster, but that was from the standpoint of a main camera, using larger glass etc.

If my application would be just using the 10-24 and maybe a lens like the 35/1.4, what do you all think of the move to the XT20 ??

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:22 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

millsart wrote:
One of my main applications for my XT2 is shooting landscapes, typically with the 10-24 mounted. I often use my Olympus EM1.2 for other shooting needs, such as handheld stuff, longer tele shots etc.

I think the 10-24 is one of the best ultra wides on the market today, combining a modest price, great optics, and unlike lenses such as the Olympus 7-14mm, it can take filters easily.

Given I'm not using the XT2 to its full feature set, and often using the LCD anyways, I've been toying with the idea of selling the XT2 and getting a cheaper/smaller XT20.

Same great
...Show more

I shoot a lot of times with my old Nikkors, so focusing with that big X-T2 viewfinder is key. That was the main reason I switched from the smaller X-T10. Otherwise, I was quite happy with the gripped T10. I'm not sure I'd switch just for the touch screen. YMMV.

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:54 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

I really enjoy shooting landscapes as well, though I don't get out as much as I'd like to. Here are a couple reasons I've stuck with the X-T2 for landscape after considering the switch:

-Vertical power grip. Do you shoot long periods of time, long hikes or timelapse?
-Personally I have found the X-T2 almost too small for my hands. I have a hand grip or power grip always on. So the xt20 just wouldn't work for me. It's personal but maybe try to pick it up in a store somewhere.
-T mode. The X-T2 can take exposures up to 15 minutes without a trigger. Combining that with the 2/10 second delay options...I never use or bring a trigger anywhere. Does the 20 have this feature?
-Viewfinder. If you compose with the viewfinder, you may find the 2 much easier to compose and focus than the 20 due to the larger size.

If budget is a concern, I say go for it. The extra several hundred dollars could buy you a used 55-200. You would get shots that you never got before. Or having a more stable tripod. Or have extra filters, etc. In other words, if your kit isn't "complete", I'd favor selling despite what I say above to better round out your total package of gear.

EDIT: Something else I missed is the huge amount of bracket options you have with the X-T2. Do you do any exposure blending, HDR, etc. If so, are the X-T20 bracket options less than that of the X-T2?

Edited on Aug 25, 2017 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:16 AM
spoupard
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

I'll chime in with an X-T20 perspective. Keep in mind that I've never held an X-T2, so I don't know what I'm missing.

I don't find the size of the viewfinder of the X-T20 to be a problem. If you are thinking about getting the X-T20 specifically for the touchscreen, you won't be using the viewfinder anyway. That said, I understand that the viewfinder on the X-T2 is much nicer. I'm used to using rangefinder viewfinders from the 50's, so small viewfinders are nothing new to me.

As far as size of the camera goes, it takes some getting used to. I put one of those cheap grips on mine and it helps tremendously. Quite frankly, I don't think I could use the camera without the grip. I haven't had my X-T20 very long and I'm still getting used to it, but I still inadvertently press buttons sometimes. However, this is getting much less frequent as I adapt to the camera.

I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the X-T2, but the X-T20 has everything I need. As mentioned above, I used the savings from buying the less expensive camera and purchased a used 55-200mm. All in all, I'm very happy with my decision.

To answer a couple of questions raised above, the Time function on the X-T20 goes up to 30 seconds. Of course, you can use Bulb if a longer exposure is needed. I love that Fuji gives us the option of using an old-fashioned cable release on all of its cameras.

Also, the X-T20 does have the 2/10 self-timer delay.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:00 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

I know the xt20 can be charged via usb, but can the camera be powered on while charging?

It would be fantastic for things like a long time lapse if I could hook up a usb battery pack, such as the a7rII allowed.

I've had other cameras with usb charging but they need to be turned off in order to charge, so nice for topping off the battery while out and about, but far less useful overall

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:16 PM
spoupard
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

millsart wrote:
I know the xt20 can be charged via usb, but can the camera be powered on while charging?

It would be fantastic for things like a long time lapse if I could hook up a usb battery pack, such as the a7rII allowed.

I've had other cameras with usb charging but they need to be turned off in order to charge, so nice for topping off the battery while out and about, but far less useful overall

The instructions say to turn the camera off before charging via USB, so I assume that means that you may not turn the camera on while charging.

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:51 PM
liggy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

At one point I had an X-T10 and X-T1. I actually used the T10 more often.

Now that I have the T2 and T20 it's the T2 85% of the time. The top reasons are that I love the joystick, love the 16-55 which feels better on the T2 and I'm not a fan of the touchscreen.

Having said that I rarely shoot landscapes so this might not be helpful in your use case.

You already know they are both great cameras.

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drewmey
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

millsart wrote:

The X-T2 needs to be powered off to USB charge as well as mentioned above about the X-T20. I was disappointed when I found out and thus planned/did buy both the X-T2 and the vertical power grip. I was also concerned about battery life as this was my first mirrorless camera but it ended up not really being a big deal for the types of shooting I do.

EDIT: It is possible that their is a dummy battery system that can be hooked up to a battery pack for timelapse but I have never looked for one.

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:10 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

I sold my X-T2 and went back to the X-E2 while waiting for the X-E3.
Then I acquired an X-M1 w/ 16-50mm at a really good price that I've decided to use as my landscape system for the time being, main reason being the smaller/lighter body and tilt-screen option (main feature that I miss from the X-T2) as I tend to shoot slightly lower than eye level.

Other features that I miss from the X-T2 is the joystick, ISO dial and shutter/ISO lock but TBH not a deal breaker.

I've used different systems enough that I can easily adapt and still get the shot.

Aug 25, 2017 at 08:01 PM
dannyliao

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

I currently have the XT20. It's a great camera. I love it! I wear glasses and the viewfinder is not a problem for me. I do have two problems with it. 1) The startup lag when camera goes to sleep. Some people suggested that shutting on and off the camera is quicker than waking up the camera while asleep. Which does work better but coming form an XPRO2 where start up is instantaneous, it's still annoying. 2) The tripod hole. It's situated right next to the battery compartment so if you are using a tripod, you would have to remove the quick release plate to replace the battery. Since you're shooting landscape and using mostly the lcd (quicker battery drain), this might become an annoyance. There IS a third party grip that you could buy that works very well and it solves this problem. Look up Haoge XT10 Grip on Amazon. Yes, it'll fit on the XT20. However, you would need an arca swiss type tripod head.

Aug 26, 2017 at 01:45 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

Stopped by my local Best Buy (which amazingly has the full range of Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and even Fuji models on display) and really after 30 seconds hands on with the XT20 I think I can cross it out of consideration as being just too small

Now on a tripod I think it could still handle well, and the touch LCD screen worked well for selecting AF points, but even with the little 16-50 they had mounted on it it just felt awkward in my hand. The thumb grip is just so far to the right edge of the camera, and the body is otherwise so small/thin that I felt like the camera was always wanting to twist to the left in my hand, and then when I tried to change my grip a little to feel more like I was squeezing the center of mass my thumb was hitting the Q menu button or the D-Pad.

I can't say I love the XT2 grip either, it feels a little uncomfortable too, but certainly is usable. I can't see really shooting the XT20 with even a modest sized lens and feeling I had a secure grip on it.

EVF was better than I expected. Good resolution and no real lag, only issue with it that I could see is that there is zero eyecup around it, its essentially a flush hole on the back of the camera, so you've really got to nearly press your eyeball against it to prevent some stray light coming in. Outdoors on the beach with full sun I could foresee this being really an issue.

Its certainly not a bad camera, and I think provides amazing bang for the buck, but as much as I'd like to save a little weight and get a touch screen, I don't think Id be too pleased giving up my XT2.

I'd get maybe $1200 for my XT2 after fees and such, and a XT20 body only is $900, so I'd gain $300 in my pocket, have a smaller camera on the tripod, but I feel like for any other shooting I'd miss the handling and EVF on the XT2.

Thanks for all who responded with some advice, and also if your on the Gulf coast of Florida, check out the Best Buy in Clearwater. They've got a great photo dept.

EM1.2, GH5, XT20, A7rII, X100F, D500, etc all sitting out, powered up, lens attached and ready to play with hands on. They have a pretty good selection of glass too, and seemed to have way more "blue shirts" than they needed all offering to take any other lenses out of the cases to mount.

I'm used to big box retailers having maybe one of the most base models for a given brand, and never seeing the likes of Olympus or Fuji, but this particular store had everything.

Might be worth a bit of a drive for some

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

^^^^
Next time I come across I will check it out

Reagan

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:29 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

Sold 2 XT10s for an XT2. Purchased an XT20 which I had for 2 weeks before purchasing another XT2. I prefer the workings & feel of the XT2. Nothing wrong with the XT20 other than for me it did not feel right by comparison.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone switch from a XT2 to a XT20 ??

I like small lenses but not too small sized bodies, so for me to switch from a X-t2, which is a sort of minimum threshold for me for a comfortable grip and operation, to a smaller body would only lure me if I limited my gear to the smallest of Fuji's primes.

The problem is that I bought into the system partly because the fantastic 16, 23 and 56 high speed jewels and each time I compromise I end up regretting it.

Now I like my X-E2, but compared to when I had the X-T1 it was a bit of that compromise I just mentioned.

I was considering waiting to see the new X-E3 but if they've gone to touch screen as the rumors suggest - no thank you, and I guess I can't expect them to make it a bit larger anyways.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password