New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

cajer wrote:
What's the best way to get a screw-on polarizer on the lens in addition to the PCX setup?

In any scenario you need to use step-up ring for G21, if you use PCX, or you will get hard vignetting on corners. In my setup I have 55mm thread visible, so I just add there 55mm->82mm step-up and use 82mm filters.

On all solutions using 52mm step-down or any kind of 52mm filter thread, adding just the 52mm->82mm step-up ring will cause hard vignetting. Also all solution with Leica Elpro retention ring will cause vignetting.

If you don't like 82mm, then use smaller. I have tested and 55->67mm + 67mm polarizer is also OK, but I doubt you could use polarizer and ND at same time without vignetting.

Samuli

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Not a 21, but the 28 with the filter (thanks Derek) is awesome. I was trying to avoid the 21 telling myself I wouldn't use it often, but I think I need to cave in...

Aug 26, 2017 at 03:38 PM
genji
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Mathieu18 wrote:
Not a 21, but the 28 with the filter (thanks Derek) is awesome. I was trying to avoid the 21 telling myself I wouldn't use it often, but I think I need to cave in...

Mathieu, I saw your G28 samples in the FE Images Thread and was really impressed. Really glad I ordered the OptoSigma filter for my G28. I've been resolutely avoiding the G21 but the photos by nehemiahphoto, Derek, and Samuli have me wavering. The black G21 has disappeared from the KEH website so I hope you did cave. You have black G28, G45, and G90 lenses, don't you?

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM
cajer

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

I caved and bought a G21 from ebay. I hope it's well centered and as good as it seems!

Let's hope the polarizer setup isn't too complicated/large. As this will complete my compact kit setup of G21, Zony 55, and G90.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:46 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Thanks, it's certainly out performed my expectations, might even convince me to be a 28mm guy and maybe (blasphemy!) give up my RX1. The Techart has disappointed but I think I may have had a bad copy, occasionally just wouldn't focus. It's going back and another is on the way, and I'll pick up a dedicated MF adapter for walks like this morning where I don't need or want AF. Something between Techart and the A7II isn't working well at the moment either (I suspect A7II related.) The TAP I have has a lot of trouble as well using flexible spot at the borders of the PDAF area and TA-GA3 is showing similar behavior. Might need to go back to A7RII for these lenses.

I do have a black set but someone did snatch that up, it wasn't me! I'm okay with it actually, I've owned a couple of 20-21mm lenses and I don't use them too often. I'll probably save a couple hundred and get the 21 in Titanium to see how much I use it first.

Enjoy!

genji wrote:
Mathieu, I saw your G28 samples in the FE Images Thread and was really impressed. Really glad I ordered the OptoSigma filter for my G28. I've been resolutely avoiding the G21 but the photos by nehemiahphoto, Derek, and Samuli have me wavering. The black G21 has disappeared from the KEH website so I hope you did cave. You have black G28, G45, and G90 lenses, don't you?

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Random related question... Would you rather have a stock A7II and a UT A7, or just a stock A7RII?

I guess third option I could UT my A7II, but as I use adapted AF more I'm not as sold on the A7II and leaning against it.

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:41 AM
genji
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Mathieu18 wrote:
Thanks, it's certainly out performed my expectations, might even convince me to be a 28mm guy and maybe (blasphemy!) give up my RX1. The Techart has disappointed but I think I may have had a bad copy, occasionally just wouldn't focus. It's going back and another is on the way, and I'll pick up a dedicated MF adapter for walks like this morning where I don't need or want AF. Something between Techart and the A7II isn't working well at the moment either (I suspect A7II related.) The TAP I have has a lot of trouble as well using flexible
...Show more

Regarding the MF G -> E adapter, I'd recommend the ULATA. Although it's regarded as a copy of the Metabones, the ULATA is definitely superior: much smoother focusing action and, unlike the MB, you can attach/detach a lens without removing the adapter from the camera.

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:37 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

If only they made a black one! But yea I've had the larger adapters before and definitely better in general. I'll probably order one tomorrow. Thanks.

genji wrote:
Regarding the MF G -> E adapter, I'd recommend the ULATA. Although it's regarded as a copy of the Metabones, the ULATA is definitely superior: much smoother focusing action and, unlike the MB, you can attach/detach a lens without removing the adapter from the camera.

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:41 AM
Sam_W
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

A more useful, though expensive, option is to do a lens conversion from Contax G to Leica M. There's a couple of skilled shops that can do it for a decent price, or you can get a kit on FleaBay and do it yourself. It's not too difficult for the 21/28/35/45s. The 90 requires more specialized surgery. The Hologon I would only recommend having a professional do the conversion.

Then it's way easier to adapt from Leica M to something like Sony FE. Plus you get a proper manual focussing helicoid. And, arguably, better resale value.

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:39 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

genji wrote:

+1 Ulata has given least crappy focus feeling of G-adapters. I had also issue with Metabones that G28 with 1400mm PCX reversed did not focus to infinity.

Samuli

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

genji
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Mathieu18 wrote:
If only they made a black one! But yea I've had the larger adapters before and definitely better in general. I'll probably order one tomorrow. Thanks.

If you want a black one, I'm happy to give you my Metabones adapter.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

I'd take you up on that, but if it doesn't focus to infinity Id have to pass. Can you test when your PCX comes in? Otherwise I'll probably order the Ulata. I'm not really in a rush.

genji wrote:
If you want a black one, I'm happy to give you my Metabones adapter.

Aug 27, 2017 at 01:47 PM
cajer

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

I just got the lens in today. It's tiny! I've been pretty happy playing around with it assuming that the filter helps the corners a good bit. The only thing I don't like is the long minimal focus distance. As people were saying that the lens had issues focusing to infinity with a filter, does the PCX filter reduce minimal focus distance??

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:44 AM
genji
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Mathieu18 wrote:
I'd take you up on that, but if it doesn't focus to infinity Id have to pass. Can you test when your PCX comes in? Otherwise I'll probably order the Ulata. I'm not really in a rush.

Sure thing. I'll definitely be reporting back here when the PCX arrives.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

cajer wrote:
The only thing I don't like is the long minimal focus distance. As people were saying that the lens had issues focusing to infinity with a filter, does the PCX filter reduce minimal focus distance??

Yes PCX will reduce minimum focus distance a little. Do not expect it to become macro-lens because of PCX.

Samuli

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:01 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Didn't try it on the 28, but I did try a 10mm tube with the TA-GA3 and the 90mm and seems to work fine. Might be an option if you want to get closer, though on a 28, that'll be pretty close.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:01 PM
genji
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Mathieu18 wrote:
Didn't try it on the 28, but I did try a 10mm tube with the TA-GA3 and the 90mm and seems to work fine. Might be an option if you want to get closer, though on a 28, that'll be pretty close.

The closer the better, IMO, even with a 28 (that's one reason I like the Distagon C/Y 28/2 so much).

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

Fair enough! I think I have the tube in my bag, I'll see about some samples for you in the morning.

genji wrote:
The closer the better, IMO, even with a 28 (that's one reason I like the Distagon C/Y 28/2 so much).

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:53 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

g21:

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:59 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Contax G 21mm Samples/Experience?

g28:

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:28 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password