New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

solarishead
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

I went on a walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland about a month ago. First time out with a Nikon D750 after making the move from Canon. All shot with a 35mm prime which I absolutely love. Beautiful day with a variety of subjects. Didn't manage to see many people in a good setting for portraits, but was happy with what I got.

I also played around with making a slideshow out of them in Lightroom which I had never done before. Pretty cool the way it works. I posted it here:

As always, I appreciate any comments or suggestions

Image 1:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/7.1    1/125s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Image 2:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/4.0    1/800s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Image 3:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/22.0    1/25s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Image 4:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/6.3    1/320s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Image 5:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/2.5    1/400s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Image 6:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/320s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Image 7:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/40s    220 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Image 8:

NIKON D750    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/100s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:40 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

You did a good job testing out your new camera on home ground, putting it through it's paces, showing us some well composed and processed photos. Lately I find when I buy a new camera, there's a break in period, not for the new camera, but for me, the operator. The latest cameras have so much technology built into them that you need a PHD to understand all the possibilities and fine points.

Steve

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:23 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

Very nice set. The 35mm f/1.8DX does a super job on the D7200 but I've been seduced by zooms for that body.

Like the WB, mine always seem a bit hot...maybe because I see mainly Fuji images which tend toward being cool.

Bob

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:03 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

Nice set, 3 and 7 are the stand outs for me.

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

solarishead
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Aug 26, 2017 at 07:44 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

I like the slideshow concept
In general I think these images need more pop, created in part by a strong black point, increased contrast and a few other tweaks

Here are two I reworked
First I aligned the brick edge to reduce ditrractions and heighten geometries and the ironwork
Second I bumped vibrance, selectively increased some yellow and orange luminosity, increased contrast. Both have clarity bumps.

Scott

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:50 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Walk through downtown Bel Air Maryland

Scott,

Thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to re-edit a couple images. I like what you did with both images, especially the flowerbox image.

I generally use the "Alt" key method in Lightroom to help set the black point, but I generally stop when a just start to see black clipping. I pulled your image back into lightroom and I can see that you took it a bit further which presents much stronger pure blacks in the image. From a personal preference, I might not go quite as far as you did, but I will on images like this take the blacks further as I can see the overall improvement that it makes.

The second image is significantly better. The richness of the blues is much more pleasing, and the clarity adds texture to the wall which I like. The darkening of the blue in the steps adds to the image as well.

Definitely learning that I don't need to be quite so conservative in post, but that the edits I apply to each image may vary considerably based on the content.

Thanks again.

Mark

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password