Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

Diane and I decided we were going to travel to see the eclipse in it totality this year. At the last minute we got an invitation to travel to southern Illinois, very near the point of longest duration of the total eclipse. We were offered the use of a small motor home so we decided to take 4 of the grandchildren. The 4-day road trip was memorable to say the least. The heat and humidity was unbelievable. 95-degrees with 77% humidity. The children did not have a lot to keep them amused.(Very rural) My telescope mount broke and was not usable.We were miserable and exhausted much of the time we were there. Traffic jams were crazy. But for the 2 minutes and 36 seconds that the sun was behind the moon everyone was mesmerized. Like nothing I have ever seen and way better than I expected. I decided to share two of my favorite shots from the trip. First, the six of us right after we pulled in on Tuesday evening. (I found that my grandchildren are only happy 75% of the time so mathematically, one will always be unhappy. It was Cleo's turn in the photo.)
The second was taken with my 1DX attached to an Orion Apex 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope, ( I picked up the scope for about $100.) 1250mm focal length. I like how it turned out.

Thanks for looking.

The eclipse-chasing road warriors.

The moment that made the trip worthwhile.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:52 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

Despite the problems, I'm sure your grandkids will treasure the trip in the years to come.

The little telescope did a great job! That's a terrific eclipse photo! Nova did a special Wednesday night on the eclipse and explained the streamers in the corona (magnetic fields on the sun's surface). You did a great job of capturing them. Also, you got a solar flare!

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:07 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

Nice that you took that trip. We're already planning to do so for the next eclipse in 2024.

Really nice shot of the eclipse!

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:30 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

dmacmillan wrote:
Despite the problems, I'm sure your grandkids will treasure the trip in the years to come.

The little telescope did a great job! That's a terrific eclipse photo! Nova did a special Wednesday night on the eclipse and explained the streamers in the corona (magnetic fields on the sun's surface). You did a great job of capturing them. Also, you got a solar flare!

Thanks Doug. I have a few print-worthy shots that I will give to the kids to help them remember.

---------------------------------------------

friscoron wrote:
Nice that you took that trip. We're already planning to do so for the next eclipse in 2024.

Really nice shot of the eclipse!

Thanks Ron. I'm hoping to take the younger 3 grandchildren to the 2024 eclipse.

Aug 25, 2017 at 05:45 PM
chas
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

Greg,
Outstanding eclipse shot!! I am sure as time moves on, the grandchildren will only remember the high points of the trip, and will really treasure the memory. You cannot give many better treasures to your grandkids than this. Well done.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:51 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

chas wrote:
Greg,
Outstanding eclipse shot!! I am sure as time moves on, the grandchildren will only remember the high points of the trip, and will really treasure the memory. You cannot give many better treasures to your grandkids than this. Well done.

Thank you Chas.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:27 AM
Pibblepictures

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

How fun! As an astrophysics geek (layman/amateur for sure aside from an undergrad degree in the stuff when I realized I didn't want to research or teach...) this is GREAT stuff. Amazing composition and you nailed the money shot!

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:09 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eclipse trip with the grand kids.

Pibblepictures wrote:
How fun! As an astrophysics geek (layman/amateur for sure aside from an undergrad degree in the stuff when I realized I didn't want to research or teach...) this is GREAT stuff. Amazing composition and you nailed the money shot!

It was fun. I'm still processing photos and the grandkids are still talking about it.
Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.
Greg

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.