New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

For anyone who cares

DaleBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For anyone who cares

I know this is not the best photograph, but it is the location where I watched the total eclipse. To keep from being distracted, I did not shoot during the total eclipse. I tried to focus on the surroundings, and for anyone who cares, this is what I observed one mile from the centerline:

It was a warm afternoon in the mid 80s. In the distance, a herd of cows were laying in the shade of a small group of trees.

About 45 seconds before totality I was looking toward the approaching shadow. I saw a small portion of the horizon begin to turn orange. The orange grew brighter and larger as totality approached. Dimming seemed to accelerate during these final seconds, it was a very moving time for me.

When totality occurred, it was like a switch turned off. It became twilight immediately. Venus was very bright, and a few other stars were visible. I would compare the lighting to about 30 or 40 minuets after sunset.

The corona appeared just like a black and white photograph. To my eyes, It looked like brilliant silver with no color. Its plumes stretched 1 to 2 times the sunís diameter. It was otherworldly.

The steady breeze had stopped. It was very calm, I heard no insects or animals. The orange spot on the horizon had grown, and was now 360 degrees around the horizon. I was looking out past the shadow in all directions.

The 2nd diamond ring effect was the most beautiful part of the eclipse for me. It only lasted a couple seconds before it was too bright to look. It was a burst of beautiful silver light.

As the surroundings quickly brightened, I could see the cows had walked some distance away from the shade trees and were heading towards the barn.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For anyone who cares

a very nice composition, Dale. I like the road placement and the balance of the contrast.
It is a super shot, regardless of what went on above you!

regards, tom

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:22 PM
luigi645
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For anyone who cares

Nicely done, Dale, with full disclosure!

Aug 26, 2017 at 07:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For anyone who cares

Nice and I applaud the different perspective.

To me the totality must be seen in person to appreciate it as you describe, the rapid darkening, drop in temperature, etc. - otherwise if you've seen one totality photograph, you've pretty much seen them all, IMO anyway.

Bob

Aug 26, 2017 at 08:44 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For anyone who cares

Nice - in Oregon?

Aug 26, 2017 at 09:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Dockery
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For anyone who cares

My spot in OR, right on the line just north of Sheep Rock on Dick Creek road, taken the day before:

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For anyone who cares

Jim Dockery wrote:
My spot in OR, right on the line just north of Sheep Rock on Dick Creek road, taken the day before:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4423/36828201905_b86423af75_b.jpg

Ahh, John Day Fossil Bed

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:12 AM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For anyone who cares

rw11 wrote:
Nice - in Oregon?

South of Crossville Tennessee

---------------------------------------------

Jim Dockery wrote:

That looks like a sweet spot to view from. Did you have the 360 deg "sunrise" effect there?

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM
Jim Dockery
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · For anyone who cares

Dale, it was a great spot, not only for the big show, but in general - I managed to get a few good sunset shots too. I searched Google Earth for weeks trying to find a spot where I could integrate a nice landscape with the eclipse and this was my choice. I'm still working on the time-lapse I shot with my Sony A7rII and 18mm lens, which included sunset/stars/sunrise/eclipse.

Your shot could have passed for OR with those nice hill/mt. in the background.

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · For anyone who cares

Yes Dale, the local surroundings got lost in the hype of the eclipse. It was an eerie moment. The light, the atmosphere was surreal. Nice work!
Dan

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password