New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Trouble with my horizons

eriet30
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trouble with my horizons

I hate the "white" bleed around the horizon from the mountains to the sky. Is there a way to adjust this in post without looking odd with the sky?

_DSC6294.jpg by Paul, on Flickr

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:33 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trouble with my horizons

I think adjusting to eliminate the 'bleed' would make it look odd.
Nice alternate approach to Schawbacher Landing

Aug 27, 2017 at 04:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trouble with my horizons

Oh I thought it looked familiar.

EBH

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trouble with my horizons

It's normal for the sky to get lighter as it approaches the horizon. You can easily darken it somewhat if you want with a masked Curves Adjustment Layer. You have the choice of either making a very intricate mask - one that exactly follows the horizon, which isn't hard but time consuming to get it perfect, or brushing in broad soft adjustments that also somewhat darken the peaks, which wouldn't hurt them a bit. Here's a three minute version with a trackpad to give you an idea of where it might go, subjective, no doubt, but illustrative. If you take out all the gradation it will definitely look fake, but you could tone it down a bit and still be believable.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:55 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trouble with my horizons

Sweet... Peter.... can you show how this is done?

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trouble with my horizons

Maybe later in the day I can re-do it and post the layer stack. Really, it's not hard at all and quick too.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trouble with my horizons

Okay, hopefully this is self explanatory enough, but if it's not don't hesitate to ask questions and we'll get it all straightened out. These are the kind of basic layering skill that once you "get" them, you'll wonder how you ever did without. This is aimed at trying to get people over that initial hump that scares too many away from more complicated photoshop skills.

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:17 AM
eriet30
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trouble with my horizons

Peter Figen wrote:
It's normal for the sky to get lighter as it approaches the horizon. You can easily darken it somewhat if you want with a masked Curves Adjustment Layer. You have the choice of either making a very intricate mask - one that exactly follows the horizon, which isn't hard but time consuming to get it perfect, or brushing in broad soft adjustments that also somewhat darken the peaks, which wouldn't hurt them a bit. Here's a three minute version with a trackpad to give you an idea of where it might go, subjective, no doubt, but illustrative. If you
...Show more

Oh I like that... it just takes the "edginess" off my harsh white.

Thank you all

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trouble with my horizons

Guess I'm inept. I can get as far as the below but with white color selected, painting on the photo does nothing. Note the curves layer bottom right is all white. Shouldn't it be black if I haven't painted anything? I can change the color to black and painting on the photo shows up as white. Thought painting is supposed to reveal what you were after but again this is no doubted me and my very poor PS skills. You hit the nail on the head regarding the part of 'not getting it'

Matt

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:43 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trouble with my horizons

You're on the right track, you need to invert the mask (image-adjustments-invert) so you can paint white on black to reveal the effect. Just make sure that you have the mask selected (like it is in your screen capture) before you invert.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trouble with my horizons

I probably left out a couple of steps.
1. Make Adjustment Layer
2. Click on the Mask icon in the Layer stack
3. Fill with Black (Cmd-Delete or Opt-Delete on a Mac or Ctrl-Delete on a PC) Cmd-Delete fills with Background color. Option Delete fills with foreground color. When you're in Mask mode - clicked on the layer mask icon, you'll also be in black or white mode, no color
4. Paint with Paintbrush in your image with white or percentages of white while clicked on the Layer Mask icon. You will now be painting IN the effect of the adjustment layer. If you screw up, hit the X key to swap foreground and background colors and paint out your mistake, hit X again and re-do it.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM
shadowdancer36

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trouble with my horizons

In PS just create a vibrance adjustment layer and increase that. Will wipe the white glow right out. Can't say this will work with every photo, but in this case, I think it's the quickest way and doesn't take away from the rest of the image.

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:14 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trouble with my horizons

Thanks for the additional steps Peter, that got me over the hump!

Matt

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trouble with my horizons

Matt - No problem. I remember when I was first learning this stuff - probably around 1995 or 96 and there was no help anywhere and I just stumbled on this layer stuff and literally lucked into finishing a project without the slightest idea of what I was doing or how to do it again if I had to.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:20 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trouble with my horizons

Looking at the original image, you might want to try a little of the dehaze adjustment in Lightroom. I think it will give you a pleasing and authentic solution.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:11 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password