New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Hay Bails

eeneryma
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hay Bails

Ghent, NY, a farmer's hay field. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Steve

Hay Bails

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:14 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hay Bails

Hi Steve,

For some reason this image doesn't quite work for me. The bails leaning to the right are what I notice first, then I notice the odd color green on the front bail from whatever wrapping material is being used. I've noticed this wrapping material too in my area and I think someone somewhere has it in for photographers by adding this color to the wrapping. I tried to pull it into Photoshop to make some corrections but I had a difficult time. I'm sure someone with more PS skills could take care of it no problem.

The couple other things I noticed were that the background trees and bails seemed considerably darker than the foreground. Not sure if clouds were rolling through or a gradient was used to darken the sky, or both.

I'm somewhat new here so I hope the feedback is helpful.

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hay Bails

solarishead wrote:
Hi Steve,

For some reason this image doesn't quite work for me. The bails leaning to the right are what I notice first, then I notice the odd color green on the front bail from whatever wrapping material is being used. I've noticed this wrapping material too in my area and I think someone somewhere has it in for photographers by adding this color to the wrapping. I tried to pull it into Photoshop to make some corrections but I had a difficult time. I'm sure someone with more PS skills could take care of it no problem.

The couple other things
...Show more

Hey SH, your feedback much appreciated. There were some overhead clouds that darkened the background. I could try to fix that in post as well as cloning out the green part of the bail wrapper.
Steve

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hay Bails

Ahh ... NUTTS.
(Not Up To Steve Standards, for those who may not already know.)

What's your desired message that you want to convey to your audience? I think this is one where you are trying to emulate something you've seen before, yet without your own internal message for what you were trying to convey ... thus, the "snapshot" look.

That said, what is your goal for the image ... but, I think we are headed for lemonade territory at best.

Aug 26, 2017 at 01:08 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hay Bails

First and foremost a street photographer, but u know me, always dabbling in other genres.
This scene, although a cliche, was delicious eye candy and I couldn't resist. I'm always in awe of some of the landscapers here, whose talent and precision amazes me.
Thanks Kent for your comments.
Steve

Aug 26, 2017 at 02:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hay Bails

Dabbling and spreading your wings ... for certain.

But, as you know ... in order to be a street photographer, you have to think and see like a street photographer. Having a camera taking pics of things on the street isn't what makes a street photographer, it is the "think & see" or "see & think" of the gray matter that makes "street", "street".

Same goes for landscape, you have to "think" landscape (comp, elements, lighting, perspective, etc.) ... not just have a camera pointed at a landscape. As you know, the "thinking" about what you want to convey is a significant part of the pre-capture process in street photography. To borrow from the old American Express ad campaign, "Don't leave home without it." ... your "thinking cap" that is.

Aug 26, 2017 at 03:11 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hay Bails

Not a landscape guy, so take it with a grain of salt. I think that what's holding me back is that while I think the image is nice, it's lacking any real impact.

The scene is classic, but sterile. The colors work well together, but there's no pop. The blocked shadows in the treeline probably aren't helping anything. I know that it's not always doable, but time of day is king! Soft warm light and long shadows could turn this image right around.

What I like most about this shot is the flow of the bails through the scene - your eye catches the largest and then just follows them all around the entire pic.

I like the idea but think that the execution falls short (almost certainly due mainly to timing/light).

$0.02

Jeff

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hay Bails

beavens wrote:
Not a landscape guy, so take it with a grain of salt. I think that what's holding me back is that while I think the image is nice, it's lacking any real impact.

The scene is classic, but sterile. The colors work well together, but there's no pop. The blocked shadows in the treeline probably aren't helping anything. I know that it's not always doable, but time of day is king! Soft warm light and long shadows could turn this image right around.

What I like most about this shot is the flow of the bails through the scene - your eye
...Show more

Agree with everything you've said. The photo was taken late morning, so overhead rather than directional light that was not ideal. Thanks Jeff.

Steve

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hay Bails

I like it, but consider the advantage in visual flow with more negative space on the left and bottom of the frame:

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:23 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hay Bails

AuntiPode wrote:
I like it, but consider the advantage in visual flow with more negative space on the left and bottom of the frame:

Amazing how little changes can make a big difference. Thanks Karen!!

Steve

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password