New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

Would have been nice to get the 85 for the tail end of this year's weddings up here in the northern hemisphere... Oh well. Will have to make due with the old 85L.

Aug 29, 2017 at 04:52 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

I'll take the 85!

Aug 29, 2017 at 04:57 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

Shame "macro" doesn't really mean "macro," especially given the size. This 90 is closer focusing than my PC-TS 90, but "macro" ought to be reserved for 1:1 (or nearly so) dagnabbit.

RobDickinson wrote:
Canon have to be careful on price the Schneider ones are very good

You're talking about the PC-TS? Do you speak from personal experience? The 90 is excellent but I've read that the 50 is junk and the 28, particularly due to CA problems, is just okay (which isn't good enough at that price).

The 50 does seem to be priced about like the TS-E, but the 28 is $5k (and IIRC was $7-8k when released) and the 90 I believe was $4.5k when available new.

I think the PC-TS mechanical design is far better than either the TS-E or PC-E, but I doubt Canon with brand new ULD-utilizing designs is particularly scared of some ancient rehoused medium format designs at up to double the price.

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:49 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

You need closer, just slap on auto tubes- given that these are new designs likely expected to produce for the 5Ds cameras, I'd bet that they'll stand up to tubes well enough.

Aug 29, 2017 at 02:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

I mean, sure, I'm just saying that's not justification to put the word "macro" in the product name...

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:42 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

Lee Saxon wrote:
Shame "macro" doesn't really mean "macro," especially given the size. This 90 is closer focusing than my PC-TS 90, but "macro" ought to be reserved for 1:1 (or nearly so) dagnabbit.

You're talking about the PC-TS? Do you speak from personal experience? The 90 is excellent but I've read that the 50 is junk and the 28, particularly due to CA problems, is just okay (which isn't good enough at that price).

The 50 does seem to be priced about like the TS-E, but the 28 is $5k (and IIRC was $7-8k when released) and the 90 I believe was $4.5k
...Show more

I know someone who used them all, they often dont review well esp wide open but for what he uses them for (landscape) they are excellent. He's just moved to a gfx50s with the zoom but it(*the lens) is not as good.

Ive seen the results he gets but he is usually shooting f16 or something..

https://500px.com/tpoulton001

Aug 29, 2017 at 08:49 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

I would have taken it with out the IS for the price of the Sigma. The reduced giggle in the video mode is interesting, the 1/8 shutter speed is technically cool. I don't care. I dont shoot video. It's a portrait lens, so frankly, much slower and people start to blur themselves. To me, IS is if you are taking stills of still objects with short lenses, or long lenses where the 1/focal length is actually faster than you need. Sure, I'll take the IS, but I might just go with the Sigma.

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:47 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

Lee Saxon wrote:
I mean, sure, I'm just saying that's not justification to put the word "macro" in the product name...

So, is Nikon totally out of line using Micro instead of macro ?
The ABSOLUTE requirement for 1:1 is a "convention" that is not set down in law or etymology, either. Just like resolution has taken on a new meaning, many people (maybe even the majority, given how many have fancy cameras these days) use macro simply to mean close-up (the logic is unassailable because the subject is quite big on the focus plane) - but then Nikon means the subject on the sensor is quite small in real life.

Just sayin'

Sep 04, 2017 at 12:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password