New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Anyone else tempted by the D850?

David Garcia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

arbitrage wrote:
Like me you are already one foot into the Nikon camp....D850 is just the next step

I almost bought an A7r, then almost bought an A7R2, then almost bought an A9, then almost bought a A72....now I'm most interested in an A73....I only want 20-24MP but with rear joystick, bigger battery, new menus and other things the A7R3 and A9 have now....then I will adapt my Canon wider lenses and use that for travel. But for birds there is no way I would go Sony at this point. Can't wait to see the price on that 400 f/2.8 GM....my guess is
...Show more

For the price of that 400 F2.8, you'll probably be able to buy the D850 along with a Nikon 400f2.8 with money to spare

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:35 AM
Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

I'm more or less locked into Canon. 4 bodies and 8 lenses. Hopefully Canon's next body will close the gap, or better it.
Today's bodies all take good pictures, the differences are small IMO.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

That's true. Take the 1D3 for example - still awesome.

Waiting for Canon's compact FF fixed lens mirrorless line.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

arbitrage wrote:
Like me you are already one foot into the Nikon camp....D850 is just the next step

I almost bought an A7r, then almost bought an A7R2, then almost bought an A9, then almost bought a A72....now I'm most interested in an A73....I only want 20-24MP but with rear joystick, bigger battery, new menus and other things the A7R3 and A9 have now....then I will adapt my Canon wider lenses and use that for travel. But for birds there is no way I would go Sony at this point. Can't wait to see the price on that 400 f/2.8 GM....my guess is
...Show more

I was more interested in their 400 f/4, but it was always suspected the sports f/2.8 would be the priority. Hopefully Sigma will release FE mount superteles.

I wouldn't mind a higher res version of the A9, 36MP would be fine, and 12-15fps, but stacked BSI sensor, full e-shutter, more ergonomic tweaks. Would jump on that ahead of A7RIII, but need glass.

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

technic
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I was more interested in their 400 f/4, but it was always suspected the sports f/2.8 would be the priority. Hopefully Sigma will release FE mount superteles.

I wouldn't mind a higher res version of the A9, 36MP would be fine, and 12-15fps, but stacked BSI sensor, full e-shutter, more ergonomic tweaks. Would jump on that ahead of A7RIII, but need glass.

Yes, I would also be potentially interested in the new Sony cameras like A7R / A9 series if they provided relatively light/compact tele lenses in the 300-400mm range (with high IQ, good closeup capability and reasonable price); but there is none available. My impression is that there are still too many issues with adapted lenses on Sony in general (sometimes wiping out most of the potential advantage of the camera over DSLRs). For landscape etc. I can imagine using Sony now but not for most wildlife and fast action photography. Although Nikon is maybe more a dead-end in the long run, for the moment they are a more viable alternative for me.

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:38 AM
fpoet
• •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

The D850 has great specs, but I am much more interested in the new Sony gear. I will give the A7r III and the 100-400mm GM combo a good try as soon as the the camera becomes available. I already have a good, sharp copy of the lens.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Anyone else tempted by the D850?

Knowing how well the D500 performs, the D850 holds a lot of interest, but that lack of on-sensor PDAF and the fact I'd need a lot of new glass is why the Sony is more compelling. I can at least use the Sony for landscape and larger animals and birds but lack of telephoto options is frustrating. Sony's lens prices are ridiculous, but still no one has announced long glass options for FE yet, despite A9 being a game changer for them.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:30 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password