New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              12       13       end

Nikon D850 officially announced!

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Full-sized samples:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2806794155/nikon-d850-first-full-resolution-sample-images

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:19 PM
worldexclus1ve

p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Full Frame 4K, even BETTER battery life than the already amazing D810 battery life.. 1800 shots from 1200 shots on full resolution. This thing is amazing. So it does 4K recording without overheating and it lasts much longer? Goodnight Sony.

It can go up to 3 hours with the battery grip.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

henry albert wrote:
But the scales of justice are righted because they have such bad beer.

Does the fact that our beer actually contains alcohol make it bad?

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

akul wrote:
I don't know for sure whether this is the first time in DSLR, but it is a very cool feature. I have bucket full of films, and had the best intention to buy slide scanner for years, but never did. Instead, just use your camera, a nice idea if it works well.

>>
Negative Digitizer

Digitize the gems from your film days at D850ís full 45.7 MP using the new optional ES-2 Film Digitizer Adapter on a compatible Micro-NIKKOR lens.
<<<

Many people have been doing this for years with the Nikon ES-1 slide copying attachment. It looks like the new one just adds some holders for film strips so it's easier to scan unmounted slides and negatives.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:33 PM
worldexclus1ve

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

snapsy wrote:
Full-sized samples:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2806794155/nikon-d850-first-full-resolution-sample-images

Images looks nearly medium format. Nice.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Alistair1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

molson wrote:
Many people have been doing this for years with the Nikon ES-1 slide copying attachment. It looks like the new one just adds some holders for film strips so it's easier to scan unmounted slides and negatives.

It also adds negative conversion in camera.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:39 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Alistair1 wrote:
It also adds negative conversion in camera.

"It' is just an attachment that threads onto to front of a lens. Photoshop or Lightroom does the negative conversion - unless you want the file saved as a JPEG only, then you can do it in-camera.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:43 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Nice summaries. thanks!
As for 50% more battery, this might come from no flash after think about it.
CanadaMark wrote:
Some interesting things from reading the Nikon interview and around the web that may not be obvious from the press releases:

- Focus peaking not just in video, but also stills (live view)
- Nikon themselves claim a full stop better ISO performance from the D810
- 100% Nikon designed sensor, built specifically to their specifications (presumably fabricated by Sony)
- A change in voltage is required for 9FPS, which is why there is no increase without the grip
- Weight is 25g more than the D810 (with batteries), 35g heavier without batteries
- Smaller RAW modes does not increase buffer size, they actually take longer
...Show more

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Alistair1
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

molson wrote:
"It' is just an attachment that threads onto to front of a lens. Photoshop or Lightroom does the negative conversion - unless you want the file saved as a JPEG only, then you can do it in-camera.

Yes, that is what I mean. For my 35mm film, Jpeg usually suffices.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

EOS20 wrote:
One of the major retail chains here in Australia says the D850 will be available on September 7

Yeah all for the cheap as chips price of $5400, that would be a big no thanks Nikon Australia. I'll wait 6 months or so and grab grey for low $4K. Hopefully all the recalls will be out of the way

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
I read something on Imaging Resource where Nikon claims the D850 sensor is 'entirely' their design, just contracted out for fabrication (Sony probably). They also said DR is same or better than the D810.

Same as D500 and D5 sensors were their design, but using Sony tech and fabbed by Sony

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:11 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Imagemaster wrote:
Well if you don't use the tilting screen, when it is kept closed, it is hardly any more vulnerable than the LCD screen.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the tilting screen of my A7RII, but in practice it's just not been an issue at all and I love having the tilt screen capability.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:24 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Same as D500 and D5 sensors were their design, but using Sony tech and fabbed by Sony

Nope.

Nikon designs many of its own sensors and fabs them out. Sony has been buying various sensor companies, to control manufacturing, but those companies (e.g., Toshiba, etc.) already had their own tech. Before Sony purchased Toshiba, Nikon sent their technology to Toshiba to manufacture.

Sony buying sensor companies/sensor-fab plants doesn't make the technology 'Sony's.' It makes Sony the new manufacturer of others' technologies. In some cases, Sony produces their own.

However, if Nikon creates the design of its own camera sensor, and fabs it out to Sony to produce, this makes Nikon the patent-holder and creator, with Sony merely being the physical plant implementing Nikon's idea.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:30 AM
TonyMelt

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Ordered one at 4 AM this morning. I plan to keep my D810 as a backup since it is still an awesome body.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:56 AM
PIOK
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

http://www.lukeaustinphotography.com/gallery/latest-releases

This is a guy who tested Nikon D850 for a Nikon official video _ Some shots to see

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:07 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Looks like a smidge less DR at low ISO and a smidge more at high ISO. I'm a little disappointed. I know that's an achievement at such a pixel density, but personally I would've rather had a lower pixel density and an increase in DR.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20D850

I wish Nikon would stop arbitrarily restricting features and using two control layouts so I could wait for the D760 with confidence.

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:19 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yeah all for the cheap as chips price of $5400, that would be a big no thanks Nikon Australia. I'll wait 6 months or so and grab grey for low $4K. Hopefully all the recalls will be out of the way

MyNikon email offered me the option to pre-order at $5799 !

A straight exchange rate would make it $4180

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:25 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Full Frame 4K, even BETTER battery life than the already amazing D810 battery life.. 1800 shots from 1200 shots on full resolution. This thing is amazing. So it does 4K recording without overheating and it lasts much longer? Goodnight Sony.

Not if you rely on any type of useable AF. There's a place and use for each of them.

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:33 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Well . who wants to buy my 40days old D810? it is a marvelous camera, until Nikon revealed the D850. The parents love to think they are the best, but the children, grand children always are better and better.

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:38 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

nugeny wrote:
Well . who wants to buy my 40days old D810? it is a marvelous camera, until Nikon revealed the D850. The parents love to think they are the best, but the children, grand children always are better and better.

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:58 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password