New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              12       13       end

Nikon D850 officially announced!

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Hmm . . . imagine that, suddenly a lot of D810's for sale locally on Craigslist today . .

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Danner
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

JohanEickmeyer wrote:
Funny how in all the announcements and talk about this new camera, I see very few people discussing how well the focus stacking feature is implemented. Focus stacking, especially in landscapes, has blown up a lot over the last several years. Considering that the D8xx cameras have become the standard for high-end landscape photography, I would think of this feature being a huge plus for Nikon's new camera. Focus stacking is a royal pain in the butt, even if you are an expert at it. Being able to just click a button and have it automate and go far faster
...Show more

Yes, and macro too. I would love that for in studio macro and product shots.

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:36 PM
la puffin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

bozziovai wrote:
just a simple question.

will people be selling their d5's to get the d850 with grip. the d5 sells around 6400 USD while the d850 sells 3700 USD with grip.

with that 9 fps of the d850, that's already in the d3s realm, and we all know how happy people were with 9 fps and with that mighty resolution, the d850 have the option of cropping not to mention the very decent high ISO capabilities ... it has the same auto focus as the d5 and wonderful video options,

so, is the d850 the cannibal in the nikon camp ??

I doubt it. The two bodies may share the same AF system, but there are more features that make the D5 the choice for most of it's target audience. A D850 might be a great compliment to a D5, but not a replacement.

On the D3s/9 fps comment - that was eight years ago. 33% more fps is significant and hopefully the next D5 model will have at least 14 fps like the 1Dx2 or even more. If you shoot a D5 in bursts then pick up a D500, the 2 fps (20% increase over the D500) becomes very noticeable.

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:42 PM
huddy
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Two23 wrote:
I'm heartened to hear the price isn't close to $4K as was speculated (I was dubious they would price it that high in current market.) However, it's an evolution not a revolution. I don't see this camera making much difference in what I shoot, although the -4EV focus would be nice. My plan is to wait until used ones are selling for under $2K and then buy two. I can't justify spending $6,500 on them. The money I save will be spent on travel, maybe a winter trip to Iceland. It's warmer there in winter than where I live.

Kent in
...Show more

Definitely glad to see this price point too. My drowned D700 was in need of a replacement and I was leaning between buying a D700 and waiting for a used D850 next year, or buying a D810 now. Based on initial look, the D850 next year will be just the ticket.

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

jhinkey wrote:
Hmm . . . imagine that, suddenly a lot of D810's for sale locally on Craigslist today . .

A whole three new ads.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Sub $1500 clean D810 on chicago craigslist today, dang.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:10 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

One of the major retail chains here in Australia says the D850 will be available on September 7

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:15 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

EOS20 wrote:
One of the major retail chains here in Australia says the D850 will be available on September 7

It's September 7 for Canada too.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:13 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Son of a gun, why can't Nikon get their act together with their accessories compatibility? Yet another new pro camera body but the WT-6 is not compatible. That means no grip plus transmitter at the same time, and the WT-7 looks like a kludge with all those cables. If the high ISO performance plus downsizing was going to be equal to the D5, I was considering a trade, but this rules it out.

Erich

Edited on Aug 24, 2017 at 07:19 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:17 PM
worldexclus1ve

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

From another article, "the D850 also includes the Power Aperture feature that allows the camera to open and close the lens iris smoothly when in live view mode."

Anyone knows how this functions?

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ICee
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

their saying 7th September for the UK too.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:34 PM
JohanEickmeyer
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

worldexclus1ve wrote:
From another article, "the D850 also includes the Power Aperture feature that allows the camera to open and close the lens iris smoothly when in live view mode."

Anyone knows how this functions?

It has a dedicated motor that drives the aperture. Nikons sometimes have no such motor and rely on the shutter/mirror movement to adjust the aperture.

Not a new feature. This was in the d800 and d810. As well as the d750. Would be nice if Nikon just updated all their lenses to electronic apertures so they no longer have to implement a sort of hacky way of aperture control in LV.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
It's September 7 for Canada too.

Fred shows Sept 7th on the opening statement of this thread. So, 7th of Sept everywhere!
YeeeHawww, maybe I'll get mine mid November, I am pre-ordered.

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:20 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

ckcarr wrote:
A whole three new ads.

Yep three posted today alone vs. just the one weeks before. I'd say that's a lot with more likely to come. I bet I see for the first time a D810 in the used case of the local pro shop this coming week.

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Just put a SOOC D850 image at ISO6400 in this thread

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:03 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Some interesting things from reading the Nikon interview and around the web that may not be obvious from the press releases:

- Focus peaking not just in video, but also stills (live view)
- Nikon themselves claim a full stop better ISO performance from the D810
- 100% Nikon designed sensor, built specifically to their specifications (presumably fabricated by Sony)
- A change in voltage is required for 9FPS, which is why there is no increase without the grip
- Weight is 25g more than the D810 (with batteries), 35g heavier without batteries
- Smaller RAW modes does not increase buffer size, they actually take longer for the camera to process. Medium is 25.5MP, small is 11.3MP.
- Entirely redesigned shutter/mirror mechanism with counterbalancer for speed and extra vibration dampening
- Shutter life is tested to 200,000
- Time to clear a completely full buffer is only 7 seconds if using XQD
- 14bit RAW buffer is 51 frames, DX RAW buffer is 200 frames, 12bit RAW buffer is 170 frames
- Primary reason for using a BSI sensor was for its speed advantages
- Simultaneous, clean-out recording both to camera and external recorder with 4K possible (4:2:2 8bit), 30 min limit, MOV or MP4, H264/MPEG-4
- Identical AF to D5 including back-end processing and dedicated AF processor
- EFCS still available in M-UP mode
- Focus stacked images are saved in a separate folder for easier retrieval and organization
- Minimum focus stacking gradations are equates to a focus step equal to the lens focal length divided by 30. 10 levels of focus, up to 30 sec each.
- Over 50% better battery life than the D810 using CIPA measurement

Still haven't found out if electronic shutter images are 12 or 14 bit.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

@CANADAMARK thx for all of your insight with this release.
I asked a NPS rep to get back to me about the raw S and raw M with regard to w/b

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:41 PM
SouthwestS2K
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Full Frame 4K, even BETTER battery life than the already amazing D810 battery life.. 1800 shots from 1200 shots on full resolution. This thing is amazing. So it does 4K recording without overheating and it lasts much longer? Goodnight Sony.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:44 PM
Danner
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Other than the small RAW file weaknesses CanadaMark posted, this camera is a freaking winner all the way around.

If the stereo audio circuits are good enough to record for BBQ video, it will be an out-of-the-park winner go a camera.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:53 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

As a canon shooter ...this is shaping up to be a sweet camera.
Cool to see nikon bring the heat.

Nikon has been hurting for the last couple of years in a business sense.

Me, I am just fine where am at with the 5DmkIV.

The smart previews in Lr should be just fine with the native files coming out of the D850.

-Mark

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:13 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password