New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13       end

Nikon D850 officially announced!

kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Bill Claff's site says "yes" re: ISO64. http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20D850

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:49 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

charles.K wrote:
This is an excellent more long term review

https://www.richardpeters.co.uk/nikon-d850-review-the-best-wildlife-photography-camera-ever-made/

No translation issue here

Read that review last night, fantastic insight and definitely more "hands on" than most. He also shows what the crop masking looks like and I am impressed, the image also verifies masking works in 1.5x mode. Also looks like the AF points are still active even with the masking Mark. All good news, the more info that comes out about the D850 the more impressed I am. I think the big thing right now are RAW images, hopefully Adobe will come out with Lightroom 7 soon with D850 support!

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Bohemien
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

TAM63 wrote:
I agree, I use the AE-L button, I don't know why they removed it. Well hopefully some other button will be convenient to map that to.

The ISO button is great, on my D810 I have the movie record button mapped to ISO, so basically the same.

Ah, the Richard Peters review addresses that "problem":

Along with the flash, we also lose the AE Lock button. Its a button I used quite a bit on the D810 but much like the D500, its an easy fix by simply programming the centre press of the nearby joystick to function the same way.

Cool, I'm ok with that solution. Or is the center press needed for some other function, e.g. jump back to central AF point?

Markus

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:41 PM
Blakehfreeman
• •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Thanks for sharing!

charles.K wrote:

https://www.richardpeters.co.uk/nikon-d850-review-the-best-wildlife-photography-camera-ever-made/

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:32 PM
blurredvision
• •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Saw on Best Buy's website that for BB cardholders, they're offering 24-month financing for D850 pre-orders. This work like other "free" financing offers where there's no interest unless you miss a payment, then you're charged for any past interest that would have accrued plus any moving forward.

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:53 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

charles.K wrote:

No translation issue here [/quote

The moment I saw the name richardpeters I knew it would be an excellent review. He's top shelf. I'll read this before the day is done! Thank you much!

Robert

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:28 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

blurredvision wrote:
Saw on Best Buy's website that for BB cardholders, they're offering 24-month financing for D850 pre-orders. This work like other "free" financing offers where there's no interest unless you miss a payment, then you're charged for any past interest that would have accrued plus any moving forward.

that's true
being 20 minutes from tax free delaware, that was tempting

but I chose to go with adorama this time, still tax free here in PA.

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:47 PM
Danner
• • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Resistance is futile. Time to scrape the cash together...

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Ai_Print

p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

charles.K wrote:

The guy has what I would consider to be good initial use insights, but certainly no where near long term ( no raw output yet). The is the second time I have heard the shutter noise is louder than the D810 so this concerns me a bit as the D750 is downright obnoxious and I am not sure how viable an alternative the silent / electronic shutter mode is.

Anything under 4-6 weeks is a short term review. It takes months of assignments and thousands of frames to really come up with what would be called a long term review. Twice I was offered to be paid for reviews of the Fuji X100 cameras and each time it was when I first got it so I passed.

I understand this camera review thing is a new hobby / revenue stream for some, but most of it is kind of silly if not enough time has been spent with really pushing the equipment being reviewed.

Now...this one is really odd and I am not sure if the guy knows what he is talking about:

"D850 high resolution, full frame for wider views and better depth of field."

So, I am assuming he means greater depth of field, IE more in focus in front of and behind the set focus point. If that is the case, then how does this new camera with the same exact sensor size as any other 24x36mm sensor impart "Better Depth of Field"? One might actually argue that if the same angle of view is covered in the frame of the D500, then it, not the D850, would have "Better Depth of Field".

What on earth is this guy talking about?

Sep 01, 2017 at 08:49 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

EDIT: Did not see this was literally in the post above mine haha

Edited on Sep 01, 2017 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

henry albert
• • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Ai_Print wrote:
The guy has what I would consider to be good initial use insights, but certainly no where near long term ( no raw output yet). The is the second time I have heard the shutter noise is louder than the D810 so this concerns me a bit as the D750 is downright obnoxious and I am not sure how viable an alternative the silent / electronic shutter mode is.

Anything under 4-6 weeks is a short term review. It takes months of assignments and thousands of frames to really come up with what would be called a long term review. Twice
...Show more

He must be of the school that believes that less DOF is better.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:28 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Ai_Print wrote:

Since the shutter has a high durability rating and is built for 9FPS it's expected to be a bit louder. From what I have heard it's still on the quieter side of things, and there is a silent shooting mode too if needed. The D810 was incredibly quiet, I would be very surprised if that managed that + 9FPS capability.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:38 PM
pieceofdebri

p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
Since the shutter has a high durability rating and is built for 9FPS it's expected to be a bit louder. From what I have heard it's still on the quieter side of things, and there is a silent shooting mode too if needed. The D810 was incredibly quiet, I would be very surprised if that managed that + 9FPS capability.

I want a louder shutter. I want it to sound like I'm unsheathing a two-handed broad sword. "waaashink!" Love the sound of my D800. That said, yeah, wish I had the option for silent shooting. Nothing worse than having people turn around looking at you at a wedding because you're...taking pictures?

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:51 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

For experienced users, a few week is enough to know most of the body's capability, a few day can tell how much improvement over previous body on most frequently used function.

As for DOF, it has to associate with pixel and print size.

Ai_Print wrote:

Anything under 4-6 weeks is a short term review. It takes months of assignments and thousands of frames to really come up with what would be called a long term review. Twice
...Show more

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Ai_Print

p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

zhangyue wrote:
For experienced users, a few week is enough to know most of the body's capability, a few day can tell how much improvement over previous body on most frequently used function.

As for DOF, it has to associate with pixel and print size.

I have 30 years experience as a full time professional & I totally disagree.

First of all, raw support needs to come about so those files can be evaluated in commonly used workflows, that is a big one. Next would be to have put at least 5,000-10,000 *highly* varied images through it as to see how it does in all kinds of lighting, color casts, focus scenarios, etc. And finally, all kinds of uses need to be applied over enough time as to get a real read on actual battery usage, IE stills, live view, video and timelapse.

Secondly, by definition, Depth of Field is: "The distance between the nearest and the furthest objects that give an image judged to be in focus in a camera".

This changes with the size of the recording medium in use. For example, a photograph made at F16 with a 300mm lens on 8x10 format will have less depth of field than a 50mm lens at F4 on a full frame or 35mm format camera if focused at the same distance. This assumes the same framing also as these lenses impart the same apparent angle of view being "normal" lenses in their given format.
It has nothing at all to do with print or pixel size, only the lens in use, the aperture selected and the size of the recording medium.

So to say "Better Depth of Field" especially when differentiating between the D850 and D810 referenced directly above, the guy did him self a disservice as to how much he actually knows about photography.

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:48 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

So I was just getting used to my new D500 and Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 which is an amazing combo, but now I've pre ordered the D850 hoping it will be the D700 replacement I've hoped for. I could still use the 50-100 with the D850 in 1.2x or 1.5x mode while still using my 70-200 f/4 OR should I consider selling both for a 70-200 f/2.8? I really love the 70-200 f/4 for its portability and light weight and would hate to give that up so maybe I wait to see how much I like the Siggy 50-100 with the D850. Curious if anyone has been through a similar situation and what your thoughts are.

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I don't doubt your skill and knowledge. Just point out review don't need to be long term to be useful. And he seems didn't claim so( a long term D850 review)

You seems already take whatever useful to you such as shutter is louder than D810 which I also was worried after heard capable of 9frame/s and now know it is louder.

His review also cover a few topic I feel interesting and useful such as how 4X5, 1.2X etc implemented. The all useful information I took from his review don't need weeks of usage not even a few day.

About DOF, I thought he might refer D850 has shallower DOF compare to D500 since he mention about wider also. I won't picky about his use of "better". It is better in a sense it can go shallower and as deep as D500 can go but not other way around. Even if it was compared to D810,(which I doubt) for DOF, you need define circle of confusion for DOF, is it one pixel size or 5, or 10 which will affect DOF depend on print size(how much pix need be used)

I don't see he claim anything false but review is helpful to me. You keep imply his capability as photographer which I feel it is unnesscory to me IMHO.

Ai_Print wrote:

First of all, raw support needs to come about so those files can be evaluated. Next would be to have put at least 5,000-10,000 *highly* varied images through it as to see how it does in all kinds of lighting, color casts, focus scenarios, etc.

Secondly, by definition, Depth of Field is: "The distance between the nearest and the furthest objects that give an image judged to be in focus in a camera".

This changes with the size of the recording medium in use. For example,
...Show more

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:10 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Ai_Print wrote:
So to say "Better Depth of Field" especially when differentiating between the D850 and D810 referenced directly above, the guy did him self a disservice as to how much he actually knows about photography.

I don't think it's fair to infer the author of the article doesn't know much about photography based on the comment regarding depth of field without finding out what he meant. I don't know the guy but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I agree that a few days or even a few weeks is not long enough to be a "long term" review but it definitely sounds like he's had more time with the camera than any other reviewer so far. The proof is in the pudding, and I agree with you here that the pudding is in true RAW evaluation, but the ingredients so far are adding up to be one of the best puddings ever...

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:13 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

charles.K wrote:

When I posted this link above, it is one of few longer term reviews considering the D850 has been just released. As the reviewer had clearly mentioned we still need to fully evaluate the RAW files and really see how they compare with D810. As mentioned before I also wish to evaluate the RAW files with an updated Lr/PS and see how the files really compare with my D810/D750.

It is still early days with respect to the introduction of the D850 and let us enjoy the journey

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:32 PM
Ai_Print

p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Ai_Print wrote:

First of all, raw support needs to come about so those files can be evaluated in commonly used workflows, that is a big one. Next would be to have put at least 5,000-10,000 *highly* varied images through it as to see how it does in all kinds of lighting, color casts, focus scenarios, etc. And finally, all kinds of uses need to be applied over enough time as to get a real read on actual battery usage, IE stills, live view, video and timelapse.

Secondly, by
...Show more

The person who originally posted the link said "This is an excellent more long term review".

I initially took issue with that especially considering how many people put up "My D750 unboxing review" after a day or so. The insights given were good, but not worthy of what I would call a full on review.

As far as DOF, the fundamentals apply regardless of COC, print size, etc, so he simply should have clarified what he meant, hence the disservice he did to himself. The more I see people getting either cute or lazy with terminology that is basic and fundamental, the more irritated I get, like when someone says "The ISO performance is much improved" that is like saying the inches on the ruler are much improved.

Last year I started teaching a class at a very well respected photo program as a means to give back and properly mentor young photographers. The sheer amount of "stylized" or false information they seem to glean from the internet is truly astounding, so pardon me for having little to no tolerance of that and calling it out whenever I see it.

I'll let you all have a break now, for most it's your hobby after all, so how seriously do you really need to take it?

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:39 PM
       13       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password