Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

bozziovai
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

just a simple question.

will people be selling their d5's to get the d850 with grip. the d5 sells around 6400 USD while the d850 sells 3700 USD with grip.

with that 9 fps of the d850, that's already in the d3s realm, and we all know how happy people were with 9 fps and with that mighty resolution, the d850 have the option of cropping not to mention the very decent high ISO capabilities ... it has the same auto focus as the d5 and wonderful video options,

so, is the d850 the cannibal in the nikon camp ??

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:15 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

bozziovai wrote:
just a simple question.

will people be selling their d5's to get the d850 with grip. the d5 sells around 6400 USD while the d850 sells 3700 USD with grip.

with that 9 fps of the d850, that's already in the d3s realm, and we all know how happy people were with 9 fps and with that mighty resolution, the d850 have the option of cropping not to mention the very decent high ISO capabilities ... it has the same auto focus as the d5 and wonderful video options,

so, is the d850 the cannibal in the nikon camp ??

I don't think Nikon cares. The D5 has been out for over 1.5 years now and the vast majority of D5 customers have already purchased one. Nikon has never shy'd away from cannibalizing it's own lineup (D3X --> D800, D2X --> D300, D3 --> D700 w/grip, etc.) They usually just time the releases so that it doesn't matter what people do because they already have their money. If existing D5 owners are tempted to go out and buy D850's, Nikon wins again. The amount of people just starting to shop for a new D5 now have got to be extremely small regardless of what they choose, and a D5s likely isn't too far away (probably Olympics).

The D5 is still the ISO and FPS champ, and of course has the unique Pro body. A lot of people won't be willing to give that up for their work.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:21 AM
bozziovai
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
I don't think Nikon cares. The D5 has been out for over 1.5 years now and the vast majority of D5 customers have already purchased one. Nikon has never shy'd away from cannibalizing it's own lineup (D3X --> D800, D2X --> D300, D3 --> D700 w/grip, etc.) They usually just time the releases so that it doesn't matter what people do because they already have their money. If existing D5 owners are tempted to go out and buy D850's, Nikon wins again. The amount of people just starting to shop for a new D5 now have got to be extremely
...Show more

yeah, the pro body alone will be it's number one selling point. coz to be honest, i'm not so fond about this tilting screen. i feel it's so vulnerable. when i had the toss up between d750 and d810, i chose the d810 solely bcoz of ti's body, a singular body so to speak.

but back to the d850, thankfully nikon has released a WOW !! WHOA !! camera that says that dslr is still relevant ...

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Glad they finally got rid of the pop-up flash. Assuming similar pixel quality to the D810, I'll be upgrading my ancient D800E's. I think I'll wait and see what niggling issue they come with before I order though.

Josh

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:31 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Already discounted in Canada by 2%....must be terrible sales

http://www.cameracanada.com/products/productDetail.aspx?pid=33722

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

arbitrage wrote:

Further proof that you Canadians have it easy on pricing.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:40 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

bozziovai wrote:
yeah, the pro body alone will be it's number one selling point. coz to be honest, i'm not so fond about this tilting screen. i feel it's so vulnerable. when i had the toss up between d750 and d810, i chose the d810 solely bcoz of ti's body, a singular body so to speak.

Perhaps it would ease your mind then to know that Nikon reps would take the D500, hold it solely by it's LCD screen, and swing it around with a 5 pound 200-500 attached. There are no durability concerns whatsoever with the way Nikon does it.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:47 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Merry Xmas to me!

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:47 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

arbitrage wrote:

I realize you're joking, but Nikon used an inflated FX rate for the MSRP, so I would expect some MAP pricing "sales" to happen which we are already starting to see. Also a small premium for double the warranty is fair.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Danner
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Looks like Nikon is going to sell a boat-load of these D850's. Good news.

Now, where the heck is my Df2?!?!?!?!?

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:53 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

bozziovai wrote:
......., i'm not so fond about this tilting screen. i feel it's so vulnerable.

Well if you don't use the tilting screen, when it is kept closed, it is hardly any more vulnerable than the LCD screen.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM
low325
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

d850 might have just placed my SL plans on hold.

edit: i just want to shoot this thing with my Otus55!!

Edited on Aug 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:21 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

ggreene wrote:
Further proof that you Canadians have it easy on pricing.

But the scales of justice are righted because they have such bad beer.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:22 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I read something on Imaging Resource where Nikon claims the D850 sensor is 'entirely' their design, just contracted out for fabrication (Sony probably). They also said DR is same or better than the D810.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:43 AM
bozziovai
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
Perhaps it would ease your mind then to know that Nikon reps would take the D500, hold it solely by it's LCD screen, and swing it around with a 5 pound 200-500 attached. There are no durability concerns whatsoever with the way Nikon does it.

yes, i 've heard about that. i told our official nikon dealer here to do just that, but not with that heavy lens, but only with a 70-300 VR. the vendor was afraid hehe.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Anyone know when the B&H pre-order page went up? I was checking it until about 1:35am CST but then I got sidetracked and didn't check again until 2:04 (at which point it was up and I pre-ordered). I hope I'm not too far back in the queue.

I really don't need this camera, I'm sure I would've been happy with the eventual D760 (or whatever), but dang it this one is available NOW

jhinkey wrote:
...the quality of LiveView for critical focusing are key for me...

Yes! This is a big issue for me. The ancient 640x480 pixel LCD that stuck around for the D3 and D4 generations let them get away with too much degrading the live view (and even image review, for really fine detail/macro, at least on the D750). With a more powerful processor and a less forgiving 1024x768 LCD, I'm hoping that's changed. Although I supposed I should've checked a D5 or D500 to verify that before pre-ordering...

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

By the way, I see this camera is made in Thailand. I don't remember if the D800/D810 were made at Sendai, but IIRC the D700 was. Presumably this is how thing has a lower (inflation adjusted) MSRP than either. I'm not one of the people who believes production location matters (at least if you own the factory or have the resources to install your own QC team at the factory), but I am curious: what *does* Nikon still make in Japan?

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM
akul
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I don't know for sure whether this is the first time in DSLR, but it is a very cool feature. I have bucket full of films, and had the best intention to buy slide scanner for years, but never did. Instead, just use your camera, a nice idea if it works well.

>>
Negative Digitizer

Digitize the gems from your film days at D850’s full 45.7 MP using the new optional ES-2 Film Digitizer Adapter on a compatible Micro-NIKKOR lens.
<<<

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

it went up at 3AM Eastern. YOu missed it by 25 minutes. If you ordered at 2:04 Central you did very well. YOu ordered within 2-3 minutes of it going live.

Lee Saxon wrote:
Anyone know when the B&H pre-order page went up? I was checking it until about 1:35am CST but then I got sidetracked and didn't check again until 2:04 (at which point it was up and I pre-ordered). I hope I'm not too far back in the queue.

I really don't need this camera, I'm sure I would've been happy with the eventual D760 (or whatever), but dang it this one is available NOW

Yes! This is a big issue for me. The ancient 640x480 pixel LCD that stuck around for the D3 and D4 generations let them get away with
...Show more

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:11 PM
JohanEickmeyer
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Funny how in all the announcements and talk about this new camera, I see very few people discussing how well the focus stacking feature is implemented. Focus stacking, especially in landscapes, has blown up a lot over the last several years. Considering that the D8xx cameras have become the standard for high-end landscape photography, I would think of this feature being a huge plus for Nikon's new camera. Focus stacking is a royal pain in the butt, even if you are an expert at it. Being able to just click a button and have it automate and go far faster than manual (along with more accurate hopefully), is freaking huge.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.