New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

wylu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Hello guys

I have seen sandog_79's post about fixing the USM problem of the same lens.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1389786/0

Last month I found that the first 2 and the last 3 glasses of my 600mm have got fungus possibly due to moisture. I tried to open the lens and cleaned the glasses but without success. In fact, when I saw so many cables inside, I simply gave up.

I am new to this forum and also the cleaning thing, so any practical advises or links (to how-to videos/step to step guide) would be very welcome.

Edited on Aug 24, 2017 at 07:06 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:24 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Well, some folks have the mechanical aptitude and nerves of steel to DIY such, but I'm not one of them. If that were my 600, I'd send it to Canon service.

Welcome to FM, BTW.

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:44 AM
wylu

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Thanks,Liquidstone

I may have this kind of "mechanical aptitude and nerves of steel to DIY", but I have no prior experiences, so that's why I am here asking for professional help.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:07 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

I'd also suggest sending it for cleaning by a lab. I've only disassembled one lens, a 17-85mm which was not worth anything. The complexity involved was incredible.

I've learned over time that everything is easy if you have the right tools. But my major concerns for this lens would be the appropriate tools aren't easily or cheaply available.

There's a part diagram available which shows you the basic assembly but I have no idea how one might realign elements once they've been disassembled and cleaned. This is where the specialized jigs or equipment would come in.

ETA:
http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/EF%20600%204.0%20L%20USM.PDF

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:51 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

wylu wrote:
Thanks,Liquidstone

I may have this kind of "mechanical aptitude and nerves of steel to DIY", but I have no prior experiences, so that's why I am here asking for professional help.

Good luck on the job.... better to do it sooner than later, whether DIY or Canon service. Meantime, it's probably a good idea to regularly expose the lens to UV light (e.g. early morning sunlight) to arrest or slow down the fungal growth.

I see that you're from Taiwan and it's often the case that typhoons slamming our northern islands go your way. The high humidity in our parts are indeed tough on lenses. I've lost these favorite glass to fungus - my prime sharp 100-400, 400 5.6L, 100 2.8 macro, and many consumer lenses. I tried to save my 100-400 by having it cleaned by the local Canon service, but when it came back it wasn't as sharp as before (I suspect the complex design makes it tough to put everything back in good specs).

Interestingly, my 400 2.8 IS and my previous 500 f4 IS weren't affected by fungus even after over a decade of use, and these big whites were sometimes exposed to rain during birding.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:54 PM
wylu

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Thanks for the kind help, the parts catalog is of some help. I am trying to find a service manual for the lens.

Well, as for sending it to a lab, it is quite a difficult story. The Canon dealer here refused to take the lens for I didn't purchase it from them. I bought the lens 2nd hand from ebay.

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:12 AM
wylu

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Indeed, Liquidstone

Typhoons and rainy seasons are tough for optics.

You mentioned the local Canon service thing, it seems they don't have a very good training for that. Local Canon here doesn't even bother to take my lens for perhaps the same reason, although they told a different story.

Because I've read that sandog_79 have said:

The replacing them (USM stuff) if they were available is cake, perhaps, two hours tops.

I was shocked that this forum does have some great guys who 're so experienced in this sort of things, and that's why I am here.

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:21 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Canon has not serviced that lens for a decade. Toshio does:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/t-f-camera-repair-east-brunswick

Aug 25, 2017 at 05:05 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

Takahashi Telescopes in Texas(Texas Nautical) will do it. At least 5 years ago..... Had my 500mm(very 1st version) sent in and cleaned. PERFECT!
I chose to let a "pro" do it versus myself. But I see you are in Taiwan.....maybe better to find someone closer. Shipping could be a "bummer" handling wise.

Aug 25, 2017 at 07:38 AM
wylu

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

It would be difficult to send such a huge lens to the US though. Thanks just the same.

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:48 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

It's done every day. Sent a 400/2.8L vI non-IS to Australia.

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:27 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 600mm f4 USM lens cleaning problem

I am not an expert on these by any means but I've always been under the impression that certain operations on these and all L series lenses are designed to be quick and easy, specifically things known to go bad in regular operation. Eg focus motors, stabilizers etc

Also, some lenses supposedly snap apart deliberately when shock hits them, eg at the mounts.

The problem is if disassembling all these inner lens events is supposed to be "easy" or "hard"

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.