New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Drop-in Filter Question

Johnwocher

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drop-in Filter Question

I have the EF200-400 f/4 which takes drop-in filters and I have the polarizing filter (expensive!). I have screw on ND 10 stop and graduated ND filters for several of my other lenses and wonder if ND filters are available as drop-in filters for these big zooms. B&H doesn't list them and Canon site is absent any information. Going to the Tetons next month, unlikely I will use this lens for landscapes, but am curious. Thank you,
John

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:47 AM
Mike_5D
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drop-in Filter Question

What about this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186092-REG/Canon_2612A002_Drop_In_Filter_Holder_for.html/pageID/accessory

If I understand it correctly, you just screw any 52mm filter into it, then drop the whole thing into the Big White. The part is on back order though.

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:53 AM
Johnwocher

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drop-in Filter Question

Mike - Thanks - Saw it, but didn't understand it. Now I do, thanks to you. I'll get this holder and these ND filters in 52mm and try them out.
Greatly appreciated,
John

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:03 AM
Johnwocher

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drop-in Filter Question

An add-on question:

For 52mm screw in ND filters for this lens, is there any one brand that out performs or is more highly rated than others? I like my Hoyas for the other lenses and probably should look to them. Thanks,
John

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:55 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Drop-in Filter Question

That holder is exactly the way to add regular glass filters to the Canon super telephoto lenses that accept drop in filters. Most 52mm screw in filters fit fine, but occasionally you will run in to one that is too thick to fit in the lens slot when screwed in to the holder. If you have a choice, choose a "thin" style of filter to avoid any fit issues. Also, you should try to get a high quality filter that is at least coated, and ideally multicoated. Do not take shortcuts with the cost of a filter that you are putting in a $10,000 lens.

A good neutral density filter of 3 or more stops can be very useful to shoot with a wider aperture to limit depth of field in a daylight image. A contrast enhancing filter might also be useful, but I have not tried one. Otherwise, there is not much use for other filters, because almost every filter effect can be achieved in post.

I like long lenses for landscape, and find my self reaching out to many scenes that your eye does not see well because of the distance. Your polarizer is very useful for landscape with a big lens. I love cutting haze and controlling reflections, but additionally you can significantly enhance the color saturation of green foliage. You can quickly adjust the polarizer to visually see the effect you may be getting, and be sure to check almost every scene you are working on. And if you are shooting wildlife, the polarizer can sometimes be helpful with the background.

Depending on what part of next month you are there, the Tetons may have a beautiful mix of the gold from Aspen leaves, the white bark from the Aspens, and of course lots of green from evergreens. Wish I was going to the Tetons this year, but perhaps I might make it to Yellowstone in October.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:13 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Drop-in Filter Question

Breakthrough and Formatt-HiTech make the best quality ND filters. B&H has been selling the Formatt filters at a pretty big discount lately. The difference between these two brands and the others are the lack of color shifts compared to the less other. There's a great comparison of different brands on the Breakthrough website.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:44 AM
Johnwocher

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Drop-in Filter Question

Thanks Roland. I live and work in Japan, having been here almost 30 years this time. Each year two photography friends and I go to somewhere for about a week, just for photography. This year, starting 21 September we go to Estes, Yellowstone (only for Prismatic Lake) and then Jackson Hole. Last year was Arizona (Antelope Canyons, Cottonwood for Milky Way, and Horseshoe Bend, prior to that Zion and Bryce Canyon. Next year, insects in Malaysia! I have never been to the Tetons before, and these locations reflect our collective bucket lists, so to speak. Great tip on thinness. I will pick these up in Tokyo and buy the holder at the same time, trying them in one of the big white lenses. Really appreciate your great input. Specially on the polarizing filter. Many, many thanks,
John

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Johnwocher

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Drop-in Filter Question

Peter - Thank you. Will check it out.
John

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:55 AM
Johnwocher

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Drop-in Filter Question

Greetings - I heard from B&H not to use graduated drop in ND filters, as it is hard to straighten horizon. but 10 stop ND is useable and recommended. Good advice. Could not find 52mm ND filters from Breakthrough, so will look to Hoya or another brand, wanting to get the best available. . Also oing a Snake River float trip (not white water), hoping to spot wildlife

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Drop-in Filter Question

yes, you have to buy the Canon 52mm screw in filter holder and this is just 1 of 3 different that I bought for my 200-400

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752852-REG/B_W_1066140_52mm_103_Solid_Neutral.html

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:37 AM
Johnwocher

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Drop-in Filter Question

Thank you Herb.
John

Aug 29, 2017 at 08:01 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Drop-in Filter Question

You will need "low profile" filters or they won't go in the slot.

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:14 PM
Johnwocher

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Drop-in Filter Question

Thank you Andrew.
Tried one in the camera store and it fit nicely, so bought it.
Most appreciatively,
John

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password