New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Help me decide!

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help me decide!

So, here goes. I've been hanging on to my Canon gear through a couple forays into the Fuji system, because I was holding on to the idea that I would somehow turn into a pro shooter someday. I recently did some jewelry shots for a client, which she loved and paid me for, but it made me realize that shooting for money sucked all the enjoyment of photography from me. Time to move on from that concept and get back to shooting for me.

So now I am lining up to perform a Canon exorcism in favor of a smaller system. I love the Fuji concept of lenses mated to cameras. I had the XPro1, the XT1, and a couple of different X100 series cameras, and sold it all because it was just to fidgety and frankly, slow. Slow to operate and slow to focus. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Xpro2 and XT2. As in; major improvements in functional and focus speed. I already know about the IQ from all the great shots I see here.

So, from those who've evolved from the first Fuji X generation to the latest, I would love to hear if it is really that much better these days?

For context, I don't shoot birds or sports. Mostly static subjects (still life, landscapes, architecture, etc.), and an occasional party here and there, and I don't care about having a trillion pixels to work with.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Greg

Aug 24, 2017 at 01:50 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help me decide!

Much quicker overall, pretty much every parameter you'd ever want to adjust had a dedicated dial or button, and the camera is just snappier in general.

Focus can be slower in low indoor light, but usable, and outdoors in good light its pretty near instant in AF-S and AF-C actually works quite reliability

They've come a pretty long way with the newest bodies, and IQ of course saw some nice gains too

Aug 24, 2017 at 02:08 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help me decide!

Thanks for the reply millsart. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an XT2 w/kit zoom and give it a go.

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help me decide!

Hi Greg,

Started with an X-E2 (which I really like and still use), then picked up an X-T1. The T1 was OK for static subjects, but frustrated me for action work. Swapped it for an X-T2 and there is a very noticeable difference in AF speed, as well as many other improvements. The T2 joystick is also a very neat feature you would probably find useful.

If you do get the T2 with the 18-55 zoom lens, you'll have a very nice combo to work with.

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:46 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help me decide!

Greg, I'll just reiterate what they said. I came from a Nikon FF system to the 16mp X-T2. That little Fuji made me switch and when I got the X-T2, things only got better.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:08 AM
spoupard
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help me decide!

I, too, recently switched from Nikon FF because I wanted a lighter system and couldn't be happier. Like you, I don't need a billion pixels for my work. I bought the X-T20 because it has the same focusing system and sensor as the X-T2, but with reduced features and size. I'm sure you will be very happy with the X-T2.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:07 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help me decide!

Thanks Guys. I ordered the XT2 with the 18-55/2.8-4 lens. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and probably use it to photograph my Canon gear!

Then I'll get the 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2 (I've used all but the 90 but hear it's a fantastic lens) to go with the kit zoom and that should cover most, if not all, of what I do with a camera. Who knows, maybe I'll have enough left over cash to pick up a used XPro2!

Edited on Aug 25, 2017 at 02:55 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:42 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help me decide!

gregfountain wrote:
Thanks Guys. I ordered the XT2 with the 18-55/2.8-4 lens. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and probably use it to photograph my Canon gear!

Then I'll get the 16/2.8, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2 (I've used all but the 90 but hear it's a fantastic lens) to go with the kit zoom and that should cover most, if not all, of what I do with a camera. Who knows, maybe I'll have enough left over cash to pick up a used XPro2!

Greg, don't forget shooting with legacy glass via an adapter. I really enjoy using my ol MF Nikkors on the X-T2.

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:46 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help me decide!

gregfountain wrote:
So now I am lining up to perform a Canon exorcism in favor of a smaller system. I love the Fuji concept of lenses mated to cameras. I had the XPro1, the XT1, and a couple of different X100 series cameras, and sold it all because it was just to fidgety and frankly, slow. Slow to operate and slow to focus. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Xpro2 and XT2. As in; major improvements in functional and focus speed. I already know about the IQ from all the great shots I see here.

So, from those who've
...Show more

I'll be the contrarian. The XT2 represents incremental improvement - not what I believe would be something I'd call major. I have used a couple of XT1 bodies for nearly three years, for event and lowlight club shooting mostly. Range of lenses, primarily 16/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 70-200/2.8. I bought a couple XT2 bodies a short while ago, believing they would be a significant improvement in 2 areas: lowlight/high contrast AF and high iso.

I was mistaken. AF is slightly better for my uses, but nowhere near "major." High iso is about 0.5-1 stop better. Also, I don't find the files in LR6 from the XT2 to have the same skin and overall color quality as the XT1.

I'm in the minority, probably a tiny one. But I'm putting my money where my mouth is and will probably sell the XT2 bodies very soon, keeping the XT1s. You can buy a used XT1 for nearly 1/3 the price of an XT2. Is that difference commensurate with value? Not for me. I put my money into glass.

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:09 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help me decide!

Mike Tuomey wrote:
I'll be the contrarian. The XT2 represents incremental improvement - not what I believe would be something I'd call major. I have used a couple of XT1 bodies for nearly three years, for event and lowlight club shooting mostly. Range of lenses, primarily 16/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 70-200/2.8. I bought a couple XT2 bodies a short while ago, believing they would be a significant improvement in 2 areas: lowlight/high contrast AF and high iso.

I was mistaken. AF is slightly better for my uses, but nowhere near "major." High iso is about 0.5-1 stop better. Also, I don't find the files
...Show more

Thanks for the counter viewpoint Mike. Yeah, I know it's not going to be a DSLR experience, and perhaps only incremental improvements in certain things, but for my uses, I think it will serve me well. In any case, I'll start with the body and kit zoom and see how it compares to my memory of the XT1....In fact, I'll come back here, mark the thread "Updated" and share my thoughts....

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help me decide!

gregfountain wrote:
Thanks for the counter viewpoint Mike. Yeah, I know it's not going to be a DSLR experience, and perhaps only incremental improvements in certain things, but for my uses, I think it will serve me well. In any case, I'll start with the body and kit zoom and see how it compares to my memory of the XT1....In fact, I'll come back here, mark the thread "Updated" and share my thoughts....

I'd appreciate your views, Greg. Enjoy that new camera!

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:47 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help me decide!

So far, so good. I used the XT2 and 18-55 to photograph my Canon gear, and while it's not a torture test by any means, the IQ is wonderful!

http://www.gregfountainphotography.com/Proofs/Canon-Gear/

Please note I'm just sharing my first images with the Fuji. I have a "real" listing in the B&S forum.....

Aug 26, 2017 at 08:12 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help me decide!

Update: I've purchased the 16-55/2.8 and the 50-140/2.8. So now I need to decide on a prime or two. The 90 is tempting, but having used the 56 in the past, I think I'm leaning that way since it's at least a fair replacement for my 85L....then for the wide stuff, probably the 14/2.8.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:32 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help me decide!

Greg,

if you like the 24mm primes on a full frame you'll absolutely love the 16mm f/1.4.

The fuji 56mm is sort of like having a baby 85L. I used my X-t2 with 56mm and really enjoyed the image quality and reasonably well controlled purple fringing.

Your style of photography seems to be a perfect match for Fuji's AF. In low light you'll notice that the AF does have a slower behavior compared to "good light" shooting. This is where I get uncomfortable and love my 5dmk4 and 5dmk3 for low light shooting using red focus assist beam in dark venues with zero issues in autofocus. fuji X-t2 has not given me that performance in low light and has changed my confidence level keeping fuji as my secondary fun system.

Buy the Battery booster for your X-t2. Take it off when you want small form factor. Keeping the battery booster on still is considered a "light camera body" in my books.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:54 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help me decide!

gregfountain wrote:
Update: I've purchased the 16-55/2.8 and the 50-140/2.8. So now I need to decide on a prime or two. The 90 is tempting, but having used the 56 in the past, I think I'm leaning that way since it's at least a fair replacement for my 85L....then for the wide stuff, probably the 14/2.8.

Definitely the XF 56/1.4

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:51 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help me decide!

charles.K wrote:
Definitely the XF 56/1.4

My 56/1.2 usually ends up being a f1.4 or f1.6 etc because I always bump the darn aperture ring somehow even though I think I'm shooting it at f1.2 (which is what I paid for right ?)

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:57 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help me decide!

Two thoughts: First, I'd also recommend the battery grip for the XT-2 if you're going to use the 50-140. The extra weight balances better. Second, depending on what you shoot, I'd go for the 56 before the 90. I find that the extra distance required to work with a portrait subject at 90mm is much more difficult than with the 56. And because you have the 50-140 already (which is a great lens, by the way), you have that extra focal distance covered. And while the 90 is also a great lens, I think the 56 is just about perfect for portraiture. At that focal distance, I'd grab the 56 before the 50-140 any day.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:30 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help me decide!

Greg, re deciding between the 90/2 and 56/1.2, couple points. First, the 90/2 requires minimum shutter speed of 1/180, maybe even 1/250 depending on your hands and conditions. It is not imho a low light lens. The 56/1.2 otoh I can handle to 1/90, making it one of my two lowlight go-to's (other being the 16/1.4). You have the 50-140 whose OIS is so good it can give you just about two stops better low light performance than the 90/2.

90/2 is a very fine lens, the one to get for portraits in controlled or good ambient light.

+1 to Alanu's comment above re the 16/1.4. Such a lens, my my my.

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:57 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help me decide!

Mike Tuomey wrote:
+1 to Alanu's comment above re the 16/1.4. Such a lens, my my my.

I made the mistake of renting this lens while testing Fuji. That lens alone almost pushed me to order an X-T2 on the spot. It's one of my favorite angle of views.

If money were no object, I'd build a kit with the Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8, 16mm 1.4, 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 and 90mm f2.0.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:29 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help me decide!

dmacmillan wrote:
I made the mistake of renting this lens while testing Fuji. That lens alone almost pushed me to order an X-T2 on the spot. It's one of my favorite angle of views.

If money were no object, I'd build a kit with the Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8, 16mm 1.4, 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 and 90mm f2.0.

Yep, I'd follow your lead.

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password