FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Another Eclipse - Spray, Oregon Population 120

Greg Matty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Eclipse - Spray, Oregon Population 120

I had intended to drive to John Day Oregon and set my alarm for 1:15 in the morning. I left Spokane just before 2:00 and gassed up for the 2nd time just outside Hermiston Oregon just before 5:00 a.m. I have never seen so many people getting gas so early in the morning but everyone was pretty excited. The driver beside me said he was going to Spray, Oregon to try to beat the crowds.

As a person who HATES crowds, I almost didn't put out the effort to drive down in the first place but deep in my heart I would never let myself miss this when totality was only 300 miles from my home. So I detoured south on SR 207 and passed through a few of the small farming community towns that I love so much in this part of the Western US.

As I approached Spray, cars were lining up on the other side of the street and people were in the lawn chairs waiting for the event. I noticed their cars were strategically placed to make a quick getaway once the show was over. Nervous tension began to set in and I thought about pulling over and joining those already in a comfortable spot. But then I saw a sign that said Spray 3 miles. Well I could always turn around if I couldn't find a spot so I continued into the town of 120.

The next road sign indicated a park on the John Day River and of course it would be crammed full of eclipse viewing people but again, I thought I'd see what it was like. Much to my surprise I found a spot beside another photographer right beside the boat launch on the river and there was no crowd! So I backed in, got setup and walked across town. Rest assured walking across a town of 120 people doesn't take long. The school and many private residences all had camping available and if I were more adventurous, I would have headed down a day early on my motorcycle and camped the night. Oh well, I was so glad that I made the trip down and all that was left was for the cosmos to strut it's stuff.

Because I was almost dumb enough to listen to the media and just enjoy the eclipse and not waste time photographing it (leave it to the pros they said), I didn't try to get a solar filter until they were sold out nationwide. I wasn't too worried as it was totality that I wanted to try to capture and you don't need a filter for that. Well the guy beside me, shooting on a tripod that I think had a gimble (Sp?) head happened to have a spare paper filter that folds over a lens. While it didn't fit perfectly, the $20 was well spent as it allowed me to view the eclipse through my camera in addition to the prerequisite viewing glasses. The weather could NOT have been better. Crystal clear desert skies the entire day.

As impressive as the show was, if you didn't get to see totality you really missed out. I know not everyone was able to witness the full event but I would say it is a must do in a lifetime and I hope I get to see another before I check out.

Enough rambling, the first image is just my by my CX-5 with the sun still not yet over the hills. Temps were comfortably cool at this time.

The second picture is as I walked through town.

The third is my setup. Nikon D300 with an 80-400 mounted.

The first three images are just cell phone. I hate to say it but assuming composition is okay, the post processing looks pretty good on any of my iPhone 6 images.

All my shots were taken at f 8.0 with shutter speeds of 1/90, 1/125, 1/250 and 1/350. I did a little bit of bracketing and also increased the ISO as needed. It is amazing to be able to see the sun spots on the surface of a celestial body that is so far away with just a 400mm lens.

Me at the site. Couldn't believe how easy parking was.

Just walking through the tiny town of 120 people.

My camera with a D300 and 80-400 lens mounted.

And here it is in all it's glory.

Aug 23, 2017 at 01:49 PM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Eclipse - Spray, Oregon Population 120

Very cool , thanks for sharing
Paul

Aug 23, 2017 at 02:58 PM
jek-wy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Eclipse - Spray, Oregon Population 120

Great shots and I enjoyed the 'rambling'
Thanks for sharing!
Jim

Aug 23, 2017 at 09:58 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Eclipse - Spray, Oregon Population 120

Great final product. Glad you got there safely and found the right spot.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:48 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.