Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Feisol makes two travel tripods and I'm trying to decide on which one. The obvious difference is that the S version folds down a bit smaller and seems to stand a bit taller. But I'm really struggling to figure out any other meaningful differences.

Feisol's material says they built the T version around the CT-3442 legs (a tripod in their Tournament series). But the maximum carrying load is the same so I'm not sure if that means sturdier.

I know some FM'ers have the S version and are very happy with it. And some have the T version and are happy with it.

Has anyone handled or owned both, and is therefore able to point out any meaningful differences other than the folded length?

Aug 23, 2017 at 02:59 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I have the 3441-T and used it for several years with both a Photoclam 38mm ball head, and an RRS BH-25 to go light. It's very light for a Gitzo 2-series equivalent set of legs, and I could use it without extending the center column and have the viewfinder at eye level, at 5'11". It's really a great travel tripod if you're going to strap it to a backpack or carry it over the shoulder bandolier style in the included case. I can't remember how much more folded length it has than the 3441-S.

That said, for city excursions I found it to be too bulky and ended up leaving it in the hotel room unless I had a pre-planned shot in mind. I've also pared down my kit to a smaller sling bag. So I picked up a Gitzo 1555T for maximal compactness, knowing I would be more limited in challenging conditions, and would have to stoop to use the viewfinder if I wanted to keep the center column down. In limited use so far it's been great, and much less bulky to carry. It would have been much harder to justify picking up if I had the 3441S though, as the size advantage would have been less pronounced.

If cost was not an issue I'd have gone all out and gotten an RRS TFC-14. It's only marginally larger than the Gitzo and significantly sturdier. Best of all you can get replacement parts for an RRS in a couple days. My Gitzo replacement foot will take weeks

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:51 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Great feedback, thanks!

For a super-light I used to have a Siriu T-025C, but I found it to be pointless (although well made for what it costs). Now when I need just a bit of support I find I can do a lot with a monopod.

My tripod search is for something I can put in a carry-on bag. The 3441T is just under 19" folded down, while the 3441S is just under 17", and that can be the difference between getting it in the bag and not. My gear is very light (Fuji X-T2 and mostly small primes) so my current legs are overkill. One of these Feisols may just be the ticket.

The RRS TFC-14 looks terrific -- but it's a fair bit more than my budget!

Aug 23, 2017 at 04:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I've been using the 3441S as my main travel tripod for years. I use it with RRS BH-30, an Acratech/Feisol level/panning base, and an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube; each with their own centre column. I use a BH-25 on my Gizo GT-0540 CF, for a super-light setup.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:54 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Thanks Jim. You were the person I was thinking of when I wrote that some FM'ers have been very happy with the 3441S.

The big mystery for me remains what the heck the difference is between those two tripods! I suspect most people bought one or the other, and not both, so I may have to call Feisol directly and ask them to spell it out for me.

jcolwell wrote:
I've been using the 3441S as my main travel tripod for years. I use it with RRS BH-30, an Acratech/Feisol level/panning base, and an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube; each with their own centre column. I use a BH-25 on my Gizo GT-0540 CF, for a super-light setup.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:31 AM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I have the 3441T, and it's been working very well as a travel tripod. What tipped the balance for me was that the "T" can be used at eye level without raising the center column. I have relatively heavy photo gear (Nikon D800E + Sigma ART, Chamonix 045n 4x5 + brass lenses) and wanted the extra security. I ended up removing the center column and replacing it with short column--essentially no center column at all. I use a Photoclam 38 ballhead but think I might eventually replace it with something smaller. It works quite well though.

Kent in SD

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

rdeloe wrote:
Thanks Jim. You were the person I was thinking of when I wrote that some FM'ers have been very happy with the 3441S.

The big mystery for me remains what the heck the difference is between those two tripods! I suspect most people bought one or the other, and not both, so I may have to call Feisol directly and ask them to spell it out for me.

Hi Rob,

I bought the 3441S over the 3441T because of the shorter folded-length; otherwise, they're pretty similar (with the 3441T's longer folded-length translating into higher max height). I use the 3441S with loads up to 500/4L IS + 1D-series camera, although my typical travel max. weight is lower; probably a big TS-E lens or 70-200/2.8L IS II + 6D.

I'm 6'-1" tall. I use the centre column, or not, depending on what I'm shooting. Sometimes I don't use the bottom one or two leg-sections, and sometimes I use the legs and centre column at max extension. Even with the centre column fully-extended, the stability is better than I can get with a monopod or free-hand; regardless of what is "better". (Same goes for my GT-0540).

Here's what the Feisol site has to say about, "why 3441T?".

\begin{quotation}
"The best of both worlds - for the taller traveler

In order to gain a few extra centimeters of height - useful for tall photographers - without having to rely on a fully extended telescopic Center Column, FEISOL engineers created the new CT-3441T Rapid model which is a fusion of the time-proven CT-3441S main-frame with the taller CT-3442 legs, and equipped the CT-3441T with a one-section Center Column which further increases stability."

\end{quotation}

Ref. http://www.feisol.net/tripods/feisol-travel-tripod-ct-3441t-rapid.html

They both have a one-section centre column, and they both have "an attractive tripod bag" included.

Cheers,
Jim

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Mystery solved! Thanks Jim. What threw me was the reference to using the CT-3442 legs. I was under the impression that the "tournament" and "travel" lines were very different in terms of durability, expected use, etc. It sounds like that's not really the case and it simply comes down to height and folded size. Their specs don't support the idea that the tournament legs can carry more. It sounds like either the S or the T would be more than fine for my purposes.

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Rob,

I bought the 3441S over the 3441T because of the shorter folded-length; otherwise, they're pretty similar (with the 3441T's longer folded-length translating into higher max height). I use the 3441S with loads up to 500/4L IS + 1D-series camera, although my typical travel max. weight is lower; probably a big TS-E lens or 70-200/2.8L IS II + 6D.

I'm 6'-1" tall. I use the centre column, or not, depending on what I'm shooting. Sometimes I don't use the bottom one or two leg-sections, and sometimes I use the legs and centre column at max extension. Even with the centre column
...Show more

Aug 24, 2017 at 01:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jharter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I have the T. It is a great tripod for the money and extremely light. I am not sure if there is a lighter tripod of its size. It is great for travel and I have no problem hand carrying it all day.

On the other hand, if I were to buy again, and if I did any air travel, I would likely get the S. The reason is that the T won't easily fit in standard carry on bags. It might fit in a soft sided bag that flexes to the tripods folded length. But it won't fit in my hard-sided spinner unless it is on the diagonal and therefore taking up way too much room.

With the T, it is tall enough for me that I almost never have to use the center column. However, the column is sturdy so if you needed to use it with the S it should be no problem with good technique and most travel lenses.

Aug 24, 2017 at 01:30 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Great advice, thanks -- especially the bit about the T not fitting easily into a carry on unless diagonal. I've gone that route and it uses up loads of space that I usually can't afford.

jharter wrote:
I have the T. It is a great tripod for the money and extremely light. I am not sure if there is a lighter tripod of its size. It is great for travel and I have no problem hand carrying it all day.

On the other hand, if I were to buy again, and if I did any air travel, I would likely get the S. The reason is that the T won't easily fit in standard carry on bags. It might fit in a soft sided bag that flexes to the tripods folded length. But it won't fit in my
...Show more

Aug 26, 2017 at 02:45 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Yes the T only fits vertically in bags too large to carry on. That said I generally check a bag for trips longer than 2 days so it works for me. I think S would be the way to go for your needs.

rdeloe wrote:
Great advice, thanks -- especially the bit about the T not fitting easily into a carry on unless diagonal. I've gone that route and it uses up loads of space that I usually can't afford.

Aug 26, 2017 at 07:47 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I have the Feisol CT-3472 Elite legs and I chose it as I can easily add the Feisol quick leveling head to it in seconds and this is a great feature for landscape photography and for video. The tripod weighs less than 4 lbs. and collapses down to a short 21.7 inches while providing a working height of 58.9 inches with no center column extension required (though a center column can be added later.

It is short enough to go cross ways into an overhead bin and so I hand carry it one hand and have a small backpack in the other hand as my "personal item" and a large backpack on my back as my piece of luggage. Inside the bin it takes 4 inches of space and I put my wife's tripod on top of it and then are jackets on top of the legs and this is never a problem even on very small prop planes.

If I needed to pack the tripod in a case it can be along one side with its less than 22 inch length and so I consider this to be as long a tripod as I want to own for air travel.

The CT-3472 is accurately rated at 66 lb. load capacity. With my 11 lb. 600mm f/4 lens on this tripod at full extension it is rock solid with no leg flexing and no torsional twisting at the top of the tripod as with most tripods I have used over the years.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:43 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

To close the circle on my original post, I ended up buying the Feisol CT-3441T. This isn't a proper field report -- rather some quick first impressions. And they are good impressions.

As promised, the legs are light and sturdy. The steep leg angle that some have worried about is not a concern for me. I found it to be quite steady so far. It sets up quickly and easily. The "rapid release" leg locks work well and, as advertised, twist easily and lock firmly.

In the fully extended (column all the way down) position, it's already at perfect height for me with my Acratech GP-SS head. I'm 5' 10". The column gives a lot of extra height. Fully extended, you'd need to be really tall to see through the viewfinder. It's so high off the ground fully extended that to use the screen I had to tilt it backwards (Fuji X-T2).

Speaking of the Acratech GP-SS head with lever, it's a very good fit for these legs. With the head on, it still fits in the carrying bag. A nice feature of the Acratech head is you can flip it around so that it works like an Arca Swiss P0 head: in the upside-down position, you level the clamp and it becomes a quick and dirty panning base.

All of my other tripods had some kind of set screw underneath that bit into the base of the head. The Feisol doesn't have those, so you just twist to remove. That makes it easy to get the head on and off (perfect for the Acratech), but could become a problem if it has a tendency to loosen. Time will tell if that's an issue.

And best of all for me, the bag with legs and head fits perfectly inside my carry on bag -- so travelling with a tripod when I only have a carry on bag (which is most of the time) is now easy.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in with advice and experiences!

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I've been using a 3441T since May, in many different conditions, many different places (prairies to mountains,) and with many different cameras (Kodak Brownie to Nikon D800E to Chamonix 4x5.) It's light enough for strenuous mountain hikes, solid enough for macro & large format.

Kent in SD

Sep 02, 2017 at 12:56 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

I use a wave or Belleville washer between the tripod and the base of the ball head. I can still easily remove the ball head but it is less like to loosen on its own. Sold by WW Grainger and others.

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:26 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Feisol CT-3441S versus CT-3441T -- insights?

Ah, very nice! Works rather like a lock washer for a nut and bolt I guess. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

elkhornsun wrote:
I use a wave or Belleville washer between the tripod and the base of the ball head. I can still easily remove the ball head but it is less like to loosen on its own. Sold by WW Grainger and others.

Sep 04, 2017 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password