FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Twistedimg wrote:
Not to knock the shot, it's a great one, but he is not the only one who got it.

As someone who lives in the path of totality and has seen the mayhem over the last year leading up to the eclipse, there are literally thousands of photos of the eclipse in this fashion.

None of which compare to Andrew Studer's photo from Smith Rock in my opinion but that is a whole other story. I put my energy into a video of it from my drone but did manage to get one decent photo. To my surprise it made the
...Show more
Glad to hear it. In FM, I see just this great picture. Would appreciate a link to other great pics, including yours.

Edited on Aug 26, 2017 at 10:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2017 at 05:54 PM
liggy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Twistedimg wrote:
Not to knock the shot, it's a great one, but he is not the only one who got it.

As someone who lives in the path of totality and has seen the mayhem over the last year leading up to the eclipse, there are literally thousands of photos of the eclipse in this fashion.

None of which compare to Andrew Studer's photo from Smith Rock in my opinion but that is a whole other story. I put my energy into a video of it from my drone but did manage to get one decent photo. To my surprise it made the
...Show more

Damn, dude - that's a bit harsh. And Studer's shot is awesome but I like voltare's better. The waves and spiky rays do it for me.

Aug 26, 2017 at 06:55 PM
Stephaniespix
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Stunning image!!

Aug 27, 2017 at 04:55 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

it's a beauty Voltaire

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:27 AM
hamish11

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Love this shot, but I am curious what caused what you guys are calling the "wave effect", those hard straight lines of light? I am guessing it is the extremely small aperture?

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:15 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Hi Twistedimg,
I agree, Andrew's shot is amazing. We all appreciate good / great photos.

When I posted this photo it was to share with other photographers with no intention to it being the best or anything. But I'm curious to see how you came to the conclusion that thousands of photographers had the same shot. :-) I know Don shared with me a shot taken by a press photographer in South Carolina.

Please share with us your drone photo. Sure would like to see it.

Thanks,
Voltaire

Edited on Aug 28, 2017 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Twistedimg
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

voltaire wrote:
Hi Twistedimg,
I agree, Andrew's shot is amazing. We all appreciate good / great photos.

When I posted this photo it was to share with other photographers with no intention to it being the best or anything. But I'm curious to see how you came to the conclusion that thousands of photographers had the same shot. :-) I know Don shared with me a shot taken by a press photographer in South Carolina.

Please share with us your drone photo. Sure would like to see it.

Thanks,
Voltaire

For starters, your shot is one to be proud of. It's a great shot and I am not in any way trying to take that away. My original reply was to the comment from someone that "You may be the only one who got this. You should challenge any one who got a similar shot to post."

While there may not be an identical twin shot, it's kind of like pictures of snowflakes in the sense that while no two snowflakes are the same, for the most part a snowflake photo is a snowflake photo.

If you just jump on Instagram and search #eclipse or #solareclipse or whatever, scroll back a week, and you'll see pages upon pages of photos from folks who took shots of the sun in totality. Perhaps it isn't or wasn't as noticed for folks not in the path as those of us in but within a few hours of the eclipse all my social media was filled with photos of the sun during. I knew it would happen and it's not so much a complaint, but is also why I didn't buy a solar filter or put plans in place to do that same photo.

I don't feel right posting up image or video from the event in your thread. I did start a new thread of my own with both in this same Landscape section if you'd like to check it out.

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:04 AM
D_80x

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Your choice of using black & white is great! I like it!

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:06 AM
bgorum
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

That's a pretty cool shot! I'm curious though about your choice of exposure settings. I think I know why you used f22, (to get the star burst effect), but was there a reason for the fast shutter speed and high ISO? I've never had the opportunity to shoot this sort of picture, but I think I would probably have used a slower shutter speed and lower ISO to have an image with as little noise as possible. Would that have been a mistake? Just wondering since I guess I might have a chance to try this seven years from now!

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:00 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Even though it is eclipsed it is still pretty bright, or at least where I saw it in Idaho. I think the slowest I shot it was 1/8 second and a lot was blown out at iso400. The sun and moon are also moving so a faster shutter is needed for detail. The OP selected those setting for his own reasons, so can't comment on that aspect.

Depending on where you were totality was only 2 minutes, which may sound like a lot, but when you are watching it, it sure seemed a lot quicker than that. For me I did not want to watch it from the back of the camera, so I made my settings and bracketed as much as I could. During totality there is not a lot time to fiddle with the camera, you make your choices and run with it.

Alan

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:08 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Eclipse From Madras, Oregon

Beautiful capture..!!

Marcelo

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end