FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

First Sony Impression

sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · First Sony Impression

There's plenty of times working professionals tether in the field. I had an advertising shoot last week where the client was vetting the viability of each location and portraits as we were photographing via a tethered ipad, and would direct the flow of the shoot and resetting of locations based on the images they were seeing. The makeup artist was checking the tethered images to make adjustments, and the production manager was using it to check off the shotlist. You see what I mean about getting it right in camera?

Telling a client that "oh well you see, I'm using an exposing to the right shooting technique and that's why the frames you're seeing are almost completely dark, but once I get a chance to post--process the 2000 photos from this shoot I'll send you proofs" absolutely will not work. It's not good business and yes it absolutely does matter how you shoot the images in that instance. Training yourself to shoot like this is a technological crutch, and once you actually start to make money shooting it starts to become unsustainable.

Mystik wrote:
Eh the only time I shoot tethered is in studio where ETTR doesn't apply. For outdoor shoots, yes I show clients the images on the back of the camera all of the time so they can preview, and no its never an issue because people in this day and age understand that there is a digital post processing phase that happens before the final product is delivered.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:04 PM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · First Sony Impression

sungphoto wrote:
There's plenty of times working professionals tether in the field. I had an advertising shoot last week where the client was vetting the viability of each location and portraits as we were photographing via a tethered ipad, and would direct the flow of the shoot and resetting of locations based on the images they were seeing. The makeup artist was checking the tethered images to make adjustments, and the production manager was using it to check off the shotlist. You see what I mean about getting it right in camera?

Telling a client that "oh well you see, I'm using an
...Show more

You keep bringing up staged shoots where you can control the light with reflectors and strobes. How about times when you cannot control the light, like street shooting...oh yeh, you don't shoot in bad light.

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:30 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · First Sony Impression

I don't make money on street photography. I can't think of anyone that makes money on it aside from ones that are ones that are ripping off aspiring photographers with exorbitantly priced and worthless workshops and branded gear.

I love to shoot on the street, and have gotten client work because of the street photography I do. But I shoot travel and street photography for my own personal inspiration, and when I do I prioritize capturing a moment over making sure every portion of the image is perfectly exposed.

The street photographers I admire all follow a philosophy of finding good light. And they can make a great photo with a film Leica or an iphone because they have great technique, not because they rely on technology.

Opinions differ, and like I've said multiple times I think shooting images knowing you're going to push it to the extremes of dynamic range in post is risky and not wise as a regular practice, and I maintain if you're a professional photographer there are many reasons why you wouldn't do this. This is why I haven't noticed a real advantage going between Sony and Canon, but hey for your personal work it doesn't matter what I think.

chez wrote:
You keep bringing up staged shoots where you can control the light with reflectors and strobes. How about times when you cannot control the light, like street shooting...oh yeh, you don't shoot in bad light.

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:58 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · First Sony Impression

sungphoto wrote:
Opinions differ, and like I've said multiple times I think shooting images knowing you're going to push it to the extremes of dynamic range in post is risky and not wise as a regular practice, and I maintain if you're a professional photographer there are many reasons why you wouldn't do this. This is why I haven't noticed a real advantage going between Sony and Canon, but hey for your personal work it doesn't matter what I think.

I don't believe anyone here claims to always expose their images so as to push extremes in post...but it does happen in the real world that there are times when you either expose knowing you'll have to push in post...or just walk on by the shot.

Here are a couple examples where I exposed for the bright light outside and pushed the shadows in post. It's reassuring to have a camera which allows me to do this.

Oct 06, 2017 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mystik
• •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · First Sony Impression

sungphoto wrote:
Telling a client that "oh well you see, I'm using an exposing to the right shooting technique and that's why the frames you're seeing are almost completely dark, but once I get a chance to post--process the 2000 photos from this shoot I'll send you proofs" absolutely will not work. It's not good business and yes it absolutely does matter how you shoot the images in that instance. Training yourself to shoot like this is a technological crutch, and once you actually start to make money shooting it starts to become unsustainable.

So you're basically saying that what you shoot in camera is representative of the final product you're delivering to the client? If that's true, I hope you realize that in this day in age that is not true of all modern day professional photography. It may be true for you, but for many of the rest of us it is not.

Basically everything I shoot requires some level of post processing, and pushing the exposure is probably the least of the things I do in post. And no not everything is underexposed by 4 stops....that's actually an extreme case to show the extent of what is possible and it's most regularly at around -2EV. Either way, what I show a client in the field or whatever raw files I send to a client when requested is not representative of the final deliverable and they understand that.

Edited on Oct 06, 2017 at 11:53 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Mystik
• •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · First Sony Impression

chez wrote:

This is a particularly key point in wedding photography, where I'm more often than not shooting is poor lighting conditions. So yes I lean a lot on the capabilities of the camera in terms of DR and high ISO noise because
1. I can't control when I'm hired to shoot
2. I don't always have time to set up lights
3. There are often restrictions in terms of what I can do with lighting.

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:52 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · First Sony Impression

I'm kind of bored of this discussion, as I believe I've explained why it doesn't make sense to do what you're doing multiple ways. You do you

Mystik wrote:
So you're basically saying that what you shoot in camera is representative of the final product you're delivering to the client? If that's true, I hope you realize that in this day in age that is not true of all modern day professional photography. It may be true for you, but for many of the rest of us it is not.

Basically everything I shoot requires some level of post processing, and pushing the exposure is probably the least of the things I do in post. And no not everything is underexposed by 4 stops....that's actually an extreme case to show
...Show more

Oct 07, 2017 at 06:34 AM
Mystik
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · First Sony Impression

sungphoto wrote:
I'm kind of bored of this discussion, as I believe I've explained why it doesn't make sense to do what you're doing multiple ways. You do you

May not make sense to you. The point is, you don't represent all professional photographers

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password