FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

RobWNY
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

I'm constructing a display for an upcoming bridal show and would like to add some lighting to mount to the top of my display panels where my prints will be be hang from. I don't wish to rely on the venue's ambient alone. I lean toward the adjustable goose neck & cone style but could easily be swayed with a superior bar type of picture light. I don't mind spending a moderate amount of money, but still trying to keep budget from escalating too much higher that it already has. I will need 3 of these lights, one for each panel. I'm looking for a plugin style with screw in mount or clip on. I've seen battery operated ones, but imagine they're not that great and tend to be cheaper. Hoping for good illumination with decent spread.

If anyone has purchased a product the loved and put out enough light I'd be grateful of you shared a link or brand/model.

Thank you,
Rob

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

No experience in the described application, but what about something that could have other professional uses, like a few small video lights? I have Yongnuo YN360 lights and I could see them lighting large prints pretty well, as Iong as there is something to mount them to. I believe these and other stuff have AC adapters available as well.

Aug 23, 2017 at 02:10 AM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

BSPhotog wrote:
No experience in the described application, but what about something that could have other professional uses, like a few small video lights? I have Yongnuo YN360 lights and I could see them lighting large prints pretty well, as Iong as there is something to mount them to. I believe these and other stuff have AC adapters available as well.

That's an interesting option to consider, and control of the light temp is a plus. I suppose I could mount them to the frame structure with a Manfrotto clamp arm, though I'd have to buy two more of them, or mount to light stands behind the frame. I'm not sure how it would look in an aesthetic sense with the rest of the display. Still, an option I have not yet considered. Thanks for the input!

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:50 AM
InSanE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

you could screw in a plastic flash stand and paint it

Aug 23, 2017 at 05:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

InSanE wrote:
you could screw in a plastic flash stand and paint it

Video lights referenced already have a 1/4-20 female.

Aug 23, 2017 at 07:23 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

RobWNY wrote:
That's an interesting option to consider, and control of the light temp is a plus. I suppose I could mount them to the frame structure with a Manfrotto clamp arm, though I'd have to buy two more of them, or mount to light stands behind the frame. I'm not sure how it would look in an aesthetic sense with the rest of the display. Still, an option I have not yet considered. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, as long as there is a way to make them innocuous, it could be s good option. Bluetooth controls might be a nice bonus as well.

Aug 23, 2017 at 07:24 AM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

Going to try out some I found elsewhere and available on Amazon Prime... can send back if no good. Will report back if they're good (and I remember to) Thanks for input!

Aug 23, 2017 at 09:29 PM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lighting suggestions for bridal show display

I don't wish to rely on the venue's ambient alone.

I think the lighting and sound are two Critical things to pay attention to with this sort of promotion.

Whenever I do bridal fairs I pump all the light in the stand I can get in there. The glow alone seen from other parts of the venue will attract attention .... I have proven that dozens of times.

I used 500w halogen floods, 3 on the front and side walls and then have spots on the individual main pics. I used to have to tap into the other exhibitors power allocation which never was a problem because everyone else never used any or any significant power other than the ambient anyway and on the rare occasions they did I just got into the feed behind the stands and ran some more leads. :0)

I now have some LED floods which I'll use in the shows I have coming up in the next months which will be a lot brighter and cooler. Never was cold in any of my stands with 3-3.5Kw of light blasting down.

I'm thinking of making some of my own strip lights to go on the top of the stand walls. I bought nee LED downlights the other day to replace the halogens in the new house here and got them for under $10 ea for 13w units complete.
I already made up a lightboard with similar lights which worked well for portraits and room lighting. Not compact but very effective.

I was thinking if I wired these up and set them in a strip of timber I could set them on the top of the stand at an angle on brackets, plug them in, Bingo.
I'll do one up and see how it goes but if it's not as effective and the 500W floods, I'll just use them again. They sure worked! I just either screwd them to the stand walls or used G clamps to attach them. Ran all the wiring first then covered the stand walls themselves with fabric as I also believe it's important to change the look of the stand not just use the crappy bland grey materials the shell comes in which again, everyone else4 does and looks crap.

The other thing I did at these shows was my own banner ABOVE the stand. Had a 2M tall x 1.5m wide banner printed which I attached to some wooden dowel, suspended on curtain rods secured to the back of the stand with saddle clamps and put it above the stand again with a spotlight or 3 trained on it. Pulled people in from all over the shows.

I used to laugh all the time because I would book the shows last minuted for a substantial discount, take whatever space they had left up the back that no one else wanted, Have my lights, banner and music going and the have people tell me the whole show there was too much of a crowd at the entry and saw my banner and heard the music so decided to start at the back and work forward.

Music is also hugely important in creating a feel good atmosphere.
I always went for upbeat catchy songs and played them low but very bassy. The sound carries and attracts people and creates a sense of excitement especially when they can tell that's where all the lighting is coming from. Had the sound low enough to talk comfortably over but still enough with the bass to carry around.

I wouldn't be worried about little Vid lights to just illuminate the prints, You want to illuminate the roof above your space as well so it looks like something exciting and significant is there and it WILL pull people like moths.

I would also suggest you run a competition at you stand and get peoples details so you can follow up later. I would get a MINIMUM 50% more biz from this than I ever got from the shows direct. Best part is you will get slammed straight after the shot but in a month or so when it gets quieter again you can start working on these leads and pulling in more work which maximizes you ROI on the show.

My suggestion is blow all the light you can in there.
There is Never too much!

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password