New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Monument Valley

Jred
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley

Shot this on a trip out to Monument Valley last May - it was very windy and dusty. Thoughts?

Aug 22, 2017 at 01:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley

It has a vibe that we don't often see in pics of the monuments. I think you have captured / presented some presence.

Clouds might be blown, but I'm viewing on cell, atm.

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:57 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley

Sweet shot! Clouds look fine to over on this end.

Might be a little underexposed and I think I could trim some of that greenery off the bottom (mainly that huge chunk - LOVE the rest). TOUCH heavy on contrast/sat, but personal preference there.

Jeff

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley

RustyBug wrote:
It has a vibe that we don't often see in pics of the monuments. I think you have captured / presented some presence.

Clouds might be blown, but I'm viewing on cell, atm.

Thanks Rusty - I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback.

Aug 23, 2017 at 08:26 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley

Love that place and you did it justice.

Aug 23, 2017 at 09:39 AM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley

beavens wrote:
Sweet shot! Clouds look fine to over on this end.

Might be a little underexposed and I think I could trim some of that greenery off the bottom (mainly that huge chunk - LOVE the rest). TOUCH heavy on contrast/sat, but personal preference there.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:38 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley

Beautiful landscape Jred. Dramatically captured and processed. To taste, but maybe lighten the bottom right quadrant slightly. You had the cloud gds with you when you shot this. Would love to see this printed.

Steve

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:51 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley

ben egbert wrote:
Love that place and you did it justice.

Thanks Ben. I appreciate that.

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:33 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monument Valley

Very nice! Opposite of what Jeff suggested, I might ADD a little on the bottom to include the little bush and then crop down from the top just a bit.

Wall hanger material no matter how you slice it.

Dave

Aug 24, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monument Valley

eeneryma wrote:
Beautiful landscape Jred. Dramatically captured and processed. To taste, but maybe lighten the bottom right quadrant slightly. You had the cloud gds with you when you shot this. Would love to see this printed.

Steve

Thank you Steve - greatly appreciate your feedback.

I was there for seven hours and actually missed a double rainbow when we were eating lunch.

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monument Valley

lighthound wrote:
Very nice! Opposite of what Jeff suggested, I might ADD a little on the bottom to include the little bush and then crop down from the top just a bit.

Wall hanger material no matter how you slice it.

Dave

Thanks Dave - appreciate your thoughts!

Aug 25, 2017 at 08:23 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monument Valley

For some reason, in the last decade so, there seems to a trend for folks to compose by taking the visual nexus and plopping in squarely in the center of the frame. Some cinematographers are quite explicit about their intent. Traditionally, landscape photographers have usually found compositions to be stronger when the center of visual interest was not dead center on either axis and especially not both. Traditionally, center placement has been perceived as creating a static composition and a more dynamic one is preferable. Perhaps more folks placing the nexus in the center is simply boredom with the conventional. But perhaps the conventional was conventional for good reason. What was your intent? Did you intentionally choose a center static composition as an artistic choice?

For example, a more traditional composition may have been something like this:

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:22 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monument Valley

Digging Karen's recrop (might include more of the greenery at the bottom), but I feel that there is better flow and now the sky "explodes" if that makes sense.

Jeff

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Monument Valley

AuntiPode wrote:
For some reason, in the last decade so, there seems to a trend for folks to compose by taking the visual nexus and plopping in squarely in the center of the frame. Some cinematographers are quite explicit about their intent. Traditionally, landscape photographers have usually found compositions to be stronger when the center of visual interest was not dead center on either axis and especially not both. Traditionally, center placement has been perceived as creating a static composition and a more dynamic one is preferable. Perhaps more folks placing the nexus in the center is simply boredom with the conventional.
...Show more

AntiPode - thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, they are well stated. I really did not think about the rule of thirds or subject placement, except of course when originally composing in camera.

The main reason I kept my image without a crop is the feel it gave me of scale and grandeur - which tells the tale of Monument Valley. I hope this makes sense.

WTS - you have me wondering what a top down crop would achieve in terms of composition strength?

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Monument Valley

Here is a redo with a crop from the top down (mostly). Thoughts?

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Monument Valley

Off center. I try to make my main subject off center left to right if there is one. Sometimes it's hard to eliminate anything when it's all this beautiful. I often want to include all the clouds if they are dramatic, otherwise I plan a top down crop but bottom up is more common.

I almost always prefer some landscape aspect ratio, so I know I can take something from the top or bottom. I will not tilt the camera more than a very small amount to get the vertical off center, as the distortion is worse than the centering and fixing it affects image quality.

I want to use as much of the raw as possible for printing so over shooting and cropping a lot later is not desirable.

So my strategy is off center left right and plan a crop either top or bottom. I seldom get things at the 2/3 so I am content with a bit off center.

I suspect many current landscapers take this approach which may account for why centeredness occurs as often as it does.

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:52 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Monument Valley

I'm not at all married to the "rule of thirds". There are many ways to compose in a pleasing way. At best, it's a reminder to try to find a composition that feels dynamic, rather than static, UNLESS you want to make a statement that is best made with a static composition. The real issue is to think about your composition and decide what you are trying to say and compose to say it. The choice of centering the nexus ought to be a conscious one. Do it for a reason and it should be good. Do it without thinking and there's probably a better composition you missed. Our notions of pleasing landscape (and portrait composition, for that matter) goes back at least to the old oil painting masters.

Aug 25, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Monument Valley

Great stuff folks. Learning a lot...thank you.

Aug 25, 2017 at 07:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Monument Valley

nothing to add but praise!
I love the look of this image, the scene, the offered variations....all good
the lighting on that cloud upper left really makes the image a standout

Scott

Aug 26, 2017 at 08:06 AM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Monument Valley

sbeme wrote:
nothing to add but praise!
I love the look of this image, the scene, the offered variations....all good
the lighting on that cloud upper left really makes the image a standout

Scott

Thank you Scott!

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.