Panasonic G/GX Series
Olympus EM1/EM1.2 Series
Olympus EM5/10 Series
Olympus PEN Series

What Brand/Camera do you have?

Sagar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I know we have Olympus majority here. Just for fun and curiosity and to check FM members gear distribution.

Feel Free to add comments on why you chose particular brand/Model

Edited on Aug 22, 2017 at 08:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2017 at 06:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

The E-M1.2 is by far the more popular m43 camera for photographers, and the Panasonic is without a doubt better for video work.

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/lumix-gh5-vs-olympus-omd-em1-ii/

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170106_1628-PanasonicGH5-vs-OlympusEM1_II.html

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/round-ups/camera_comparisons/panasonic-gh5-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m1-ii-99376

Aug 22, 2017 at 07:15 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I think saying the gh5 is better for video is a bit overstated on the net and can be counter-productive

Gh5 is a great video spec'D camera, sure, but it's also a great still camera and I see too many people say they won't consider the gh5 because "they don't do video"

Likewise the em1.2 is a great video camera too, gives up a few features, but has some strengths of its own such as improved and easier to use c-AF for video that actually works reliably.

See too many folks say they won't even consider Olympus because they "aren't good for video" , and while true in the past, the em1.2 at least is a very well spec'D camera

I think both options are great still and video cameras and there is no one correct choice for any and all users.

I think it's counter productive if 'we', as in photo forums as a whole, tried to make it a black and white question

I for one have owned both cameras and for me, the em1.2 proved to be the better video camera, based upon what and how I use it. I'm not saying the gh5 isn't better for some applications, but generally for those who it is will already clearly know what features apply to them such as 10bit internal

Aug 22, 2017 at 07:36 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

E-M1.2 is undoubtedly the most ambitious camera I've ever owned. Olympus have really done a lot to try to give photographers a camera that can do it all, and do it all very well. They've not held back when it comes to specs, and have given us some super cool technology in the camera, like Hi-Res mode, Pro Capture, Live Composite, 60 FPS at full res, etc.

Unfortunately, they can't beat physics, but they sure are giving us a lot of power in that small little m4/3 sensor .

Aug 22, 2017 at 07:46 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

M43 is my second system.

I still use a GX7 (previously dipped my toe into M43 with a Oly PL2).

GX7 is a wonderful camera and I love the tilting EVF.

If I could get my A7s and GX7 to breed I would be as happy as could be (though knowing my luck I would end up with the bits I would prefer not to have).

Aug 22, 2017 at 08:08 PM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

Rejoining m4/3... sold a mix of Oly/Pany gear and used Sony FF from the original A7 forward, then switched to Fuji in the last year and added an RX10II for video. Shooting more and more video so am getting the GH5 and 12-35v2 this week and selling the RX10II (will miss built in ND filters, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the somewhat limited dynamic range of the RX10II and will shoot vlog and in camera LUT on the GH5).

GH5/12-35 will replace the RX10II as my video setup and general purpose all-in-one camera when I don't want to carry a bigger format camera (might get the 12-60 PL instead of the 12-35 to better serve that role, the 12-100/4 Oly is too big for me).

I've always liked Panasonic UI/UX, and felt the GH4 was one of the best handling cameras I've ever had (preferred over the EM-1). I'd kill for a full frame version of the GH5.

Aug 23, 2017 at 05:37 PM
snappu

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

If m43 were my main system, I'd definitely get the E-M1.2. But it isn't. It's my 3rd system. I've tried both the E-M1.2 and GX8 for a few months and settled on the GX8, mostly due to the simplicity of the controls/UI.

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:17 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I didn't add my vote because I own both GH and G Series cameras (GH3 and three GS bodies) and the system did not allow selecting both. We make video for pay download programs (we shoot multi-cam and second system sound). We also use one of the G6s to shoot on-location workshop images.

In time, I would like to get a Oly EM1 mk II, for its much better video (than previous Olys, I mean) and the IB stabilisation. This will extend the shooting opportunities for both stills and video, for all the primes we own. Panasonic video is excellent on both body models (1080p/30, .mp4, so no transcoding).

We shoot all video in portrait picture setting, with contrast -1 and sharpening +1, and do not grade the video. Stills we shoot only jpeg with same settings, and this yields a fast workflow in both mediums. Exposure is judged by both histogram and appearance on LCD; we often lift shadow detail in jpegs in PP, and images are perfectly acceptable.

Not art, in any sense, but a decent record of events, our main concern. These cameras are just tools; thre is not particular pleasure in their use, I must say, but no headaches, either!

Aug 27, 2017 at 06:39 AM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I guess I went with Olympus because of the 300mmf4 and 40-150f2.8. My "impression" was that Panasonic was better for video, which I have little interest in, and Olympus more a stills choice. The introduction of the M1 Mark 2 has made me switch over to Olympus from Canon for the majority of my photography. The aggravation of flying with a 600mmf 4 and a 1D series camera is not missed.

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:28 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I have a Lumix GX8, which is my secondary system to my full frame Nikons

I love using the GX8, as the size and handling are great. Obviously it can't compete with my Nikons for image quality, especially as the ISO rises, but I am very happy with it all the same

Aug 28, 2017 at 09:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mikehit
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I have the Pana GX7 and Oly E-M5 with a mixed bag of lenses. I use it mainly for wide angle (DSLR for long telephoto) and taking my camera when travelling on business.
I like the GX7 for its tilting LCD (I prefer tilting to fully articulated) and for the tilting EVF.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I didn't vote because your poll doesn't allow for multiple selections and does not have a comprehensive set of choices. I've had about seven Panasonic bodies over the years and then switched to Olympus with the release of the EM5 mki, which I had three of over time, but in truth have always not liked the body much at all. I still have one for my cycling though.

Now I have the EM1 mk i and no desire what so ever to upgrade to the EM1 mkii. I also have the Em5 mk ii but that is going to be my last Olympus.

I always thought at some point Olympus would improve on those crazy menus and eventually release a larger heavier camera. They sure need to, as a choice, with those humongous new zooms and primes. It's so unbalanced now, as far as I'm concerned.

So what the EM1 either dies or I sell it ... I'm going with Panasonic from now on. The G5 feels solid and the controls somehow fit my brain better. It's just a personal thing, the Olympus bodies are super capable, and I've given it a fair shot, but it's for me it's like driving a nice fast car where the steering wheel is in the wrong place, and the clutch doesn't feel right. Sort of like preferring a Miata to a Porsche even thought the Porsche is faster. (which I do )

But I do admire Olympus for how they've moved the M43 and the whole mirror-free concept forward. I think Olympus did that a lot better that Panasonic.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

bobbytan wrote:
The E-M1.2 is by far the more popular m43 camera for photographers, and the Panasonic is without a doubt better for video work.

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/lumix-gh5-vs-olympus-omd-em1-ii/

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170106_1628-PanasonicGH5-vs-OlympusEM1_II.html

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/round-ups/camera_comparisons/panasonic-gh5-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m1-ii-99376

I'm not sure what you mean by "popular" there. Do you mean as a lust object? Because the camera is so expensive, there is no way on earth that it is the most popular camera. The lower priced bodies sell volume. The top end stuff sells to more dedicated types, few and far between by contrast.

Fred Miranda is a spot for enthusiasts. I belong to a video centric set of sites from when it used to be part of my job, and there Olympus does not exist. On the video front it's panasonic by 700 to 1. For video it's the ecosystem, not just the performance of one body that is important, and well, Olympus just isn't a player.

In reverse, here the viewpoint is distorted in the other direction because it does not seem to be home for dedicated video fans. Here it is Olympus .. probably five to one.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:29 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

Pavel wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "popular" there. Do you mean as a lust object? Because the camera is so expensive, there is no way on earth that it is the most popular camera. The lower priced bodies sell volume. The top end stuff sells to more dedicated types, few and far between by contrast.

Fred Miranda is a spot for enthusiasts. I belong to a video centric set of sites from when it used to be part of my job, and there Olympus does not exist. On the video front it's panasonic by 700 to 1. For video it's
...Show more

I think you have basically repeated what Bobby said. He said Panasonic is generally regarded as the better choice for video, while it seems that still photographers gravitate more towards Olympus, with the E-M1.2 being considered the body that most would want to shoot.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

mitesh wrote:
I think you have basically repeated what Bobby said. He said Panasonic is generally regarded as the better choice for video, while it seems that still photographers gravitate more towards Olympus, with the E-M1.2 being considered the body that most would want to shoot.

Yes, I've not negated that argument. I however do not do any video what so ever now, and so that Panasonic aspect did not factor into my decision. Ergonomic did. I should've stressed that better.

Us photographers tend to be a fickle lot. I wonder if recently Olympus is not losing percentages to Pani. I've recently noticed a lot more non-video enthusiasts praise and chose Pani than seemed to be the case years ago. I think the EM5 ust hit it out of the park and cemented Olympus as the de-facto m43 choice. That was a long time ago in camera years. With the high cos, and narrow focust of the OM1.2 the balance may be shifting.

And yes I think most photographers here would want to shoot with thee flagship camera from any brand and that makes them most popular by desire. Costs get in the way, however, and its the lower end, lower priced models that become most popular by distribution. I was curious as to what bobby meant.

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

The one counter-argument to Pavel's position (and having owned more than a dozen Panasonics and three Olympus bodies over the years) is Olympus's amazing IBIS. And I agree with Pavel re. ergonomics (and menus are much better on the Pannys too, IMHO). Most video pros do like Hollywood, though, and shoot multiple static angles off tripods and second system sound (we always do, too) and leave most camera movements to YouTube. My main interest these days is video, and I have asked Fred to have a video-centric part of the site, but I think most here are stills people first and last, and I understand that.

But I can see the day is coming where I will want to put an OMD-EM1 mkII in a cage and fly that baby around the room for (say) on-the-spot interviews, and none of the Pannys can do that. Olympus IBIS is literally a steadycam, handled right. I have been hoping that Panasonic would come out with a body that has good IBIS (so video colour signature is the same as the fur bodies I own) but I have not seen that body yet.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:50 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
The one counter-argument to Pavel's position (and having owned more than a dozen Panasonics and three Olympus bodies over the years) is Olympus's amazing IBIS. And I agree with Pavel re. ergonomics (and menus are much better on the Pannys too, IMHO). Most video pros do like Hollywood, though, and shoot multiple static angles off tripods and second system sound (we always do, too) and leave most camera movements to YouTube. My main interest these days is video, and I have asked Fred to have a video-centric part of the site, but I think most here are stills people
...Show more

That's actually a really good point that I had not thought of. I've normally got IBIS turned off for photos so I've never valued it as much as some have, but for video work, yes that is a steady-cam on the cheap and that is so important. Now the GH5 has in body image stabilization but I've no idea how well it works as I've been in the Olympus fold for years now.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:20 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

I am getting a used GX85 next week from a member here; I will be seeing if its IBIS can be used this way (and it was a lot cheaper than the EM1 mk II!). Another factor in my thinking was the Panasonic video colour signature: it should be a lot easier to match it to the other four Panny bodies I have. And, thinking aloud, if the IBIS does work well enough with the widish lenses I usually use on my 'steadycam', I think this body will work well. If it does, I will sell the GH3 (no one needs five 4/3rds bodies!!!).

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:52 AM
scbwr

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

Pavel wrote:
I always thought at some point Olympus would improve on those crazy menus and eventually release a larger heavier camera. They sure need to, as a choice, with those humongous new zooms and primes. It's so unbalanced now, as far as I'm concerned.

I own the OM 10 and have a OM 10ii arriving shortly. I found that adding the Olympus grip to my OM 10 made a huge difference in handling the camera, especially with the 12-40 Pro lens and the 75-300 zoom lens, which are the heaviest and largest lenses I own.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM
pmeheut

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What Brand/Camera do you have?

EM1 Mk II, PEN-F, GM1 & GM5. I use mostly the Olympus, the GM1 is only for underwater and the GM5 is the camera I have with me when I go to work "just in case".
Love the small GM sometimes when I travel, go to a restaurant, etc. The rest of the time, the PEN-F is small enough.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password