New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Gitzo 1532 or 2531EX?

sabeast

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo 1532 or 2531EX?

I can't decide between 2 gitzo tripods. The GT1532 & GT2531EX. Im 5'7 with a Sony a7r II mated with a 24-70 gm 2.8. Should i put into consideration that i may get a 20-700 2.8 later down the line? Tripod will be used for in studio shots of products & people. Mostly for street style/fashion & editorial photography. Most images maybe of myself with outfits for my lookbook. Some video will also be done.

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:39 PM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo 1532 or 2531EX?

For my main (or only) tripod, I would take a 2 series over a 1 series. I think the 1 is more of a travel tripod and the 2 as more of an everyday. I would probably do a traveler or systematic over the explorer model, but that just might be my aversion to tiltable center column.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo 1532 or 2531EX?

The EX is a special purpose tripod with that funky adjustable column. Are you doing a lot of macros or have a specific reason for it other than the stated purpose? Depending on the winds I would not want to leave a 1 series standing by itself for self portraits.

EBH

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:24 PM
sabeast

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo 1532 or 2531EX?

I ended up going with a GT2532, BH55

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo 1532 or 2531EX?

I have the Gitzo 2531LVL and it is great for landscapes and for video with its quick leveling feature. Only drawback is that with 3 sections it is too long for travel by air and so I have a Feisol 4-section as well that I use most of the time.

The Feisol is better built than the Gitzo and the Feisol comes with a first class tripod case, unlike the Gitzo that comes with a cloth sack.

I bought two Gitzo tripods a year ago and both arrived with parts broken off in the Gitzo box. That is when I started shopping around and found the fantastic Feisol tripods. I also have a RRS tripod which is taller than the Feisol and no better built that I use for bird photography with its greater height, needed with birds high up in the trees.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password