New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Remote flash

Vinnie_VdB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remote flash

I am in need of advice as the more I read the more options I am presented with and pretty sure some are not for the good either.
So, I am looking for a solution for remote triggering my speedlight(s) with radio signals.
- Bodies to use: D500 - D810 - D4s
- Current speedlights: SB-900 - SB700
- In the future might there be some studio material

The transmitter and receiver module do not have to be the el cheapo style but must be simply reliable.
Somebody that can give me some input what models would work here?

Thank you already.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:44 AM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remote flash

Pocket Wizard is one of the best out there.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remote flash

I went for the ability to generate light from the most points possible. My goal was lightweight, fast to set up, reliable, economical. I've been using CyberSync triggers connected to eight to ten Nikon SB-25 flash. The flash are very robust, have high WS output, and can be had on ebay for under fifty bucks. The CyberSync triggers have proven to be reliable out to 200 yards and at 42F below zero (using lithium AA batteries.) You gave no clue what you want the flash for, though. That's the whole thing: match the gear to the use. I like to light up freight trains, often in below zero weather. I assume that's what you are doing too? .

Kent in SD

BNSF at Mina, SD

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:51 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remote flash

I quite like my Yongnuo 622N set. I've got 1 transmitter and 4 receivers. Bought them right here on FM.

I use them with a SB-910 as well as several Yongnuo flashes.

I haven't tested them for range yet, but once you figure out how to work them (it takes some fiddling, the manual is near useless) they're great.

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:35 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remote flash

Thank you all for the reactions.
@Kent, my ambition is smaller and will mainly be in a home made studio for now on both products and people. Beautiful picture man

And these pocket wizard devices are indeed popping in many articles but they have so much different models that is becomes difficult, for me, to choose between the various models.
I will contact a few shops as well and see what they have for advice on models.

More input is however still welcome

Aug 22, 2017 at 09:07 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Remote flash

If you're working in small controlled no spaces, then dumb optical triggering or even Nikon CLS should be fine (better still, free). If you are going to be outdoors often, in larger spaces at greater distances, etc then you may want to think about dumping your Nikon soeedlights all together and investing in something third party with radio triggering built in. Phottix, Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint, Cactus, Yongnuo, etc. Phottix and Godox stand out as they also have strobes with the same radio system built in.

Aug 22, 2017 at 09:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Remote flash

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Thank you all for the reactions.
@Kent@, my ambition is smaller and will mainly be in a home made studio for now on both products and people. Beautiful picture man

For photos of people, I generally use my monolights. They have enough power to use modifiers (umbrella, shoot-throughs, soft box, etc.) If you go outdoors, the monolights generally have enough WS to overpower the sun--the result is much softer light and more control. For shots of small items, the SB flash with a small softbox is plenty. The new Godox with some triggers would probably be the best all around. I have two Nikon SB-900 and while they are very handy and quick, what I don't like is: (1) CLS does not work well outdoors (2) not quite enough power for many jobs.

Kent in SD

Aug 22, 2017 at 09:38 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Remote flash

I forgot to mention one important thing as well. I also do hide photography and like to get a speedlight (or two) in the trees flashing towards pool so I do need radio signal as there is no line of sight.

Aug 22, 2017 at 09:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Remote flash

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
I forgot to mention one important thing as well. I also do hide photography and like to get a speedlight (or two) in the trees flashing towards pool so I do need radio signal as there is no line of sight.

What I've found is that the little 4AA flash (i.e. Nikon SB flash) don't have a lot of power when used outdoors in daytime. If the flash is relatively close you will be OK, but if you start setting the flash off at a distance the power drops pretty fast. And yes, this is a job for radio triggers.

Kent in SD

Aug 23, 2017 at 08:05 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Remote flash

I've gone through a load of radio triggers, from cheapy eBay jobs, Cybersyncs, Cactus 4s and then 6s, Yongnuo 622s and now I'm using the Godox X1 system, which I'm extremely happy with.

Your decision may well be dictated by any potential future investment in studio strobes, as the various brands tend to work best with their house-brand trigger systems. One of the many benefits of the Godox system is that you can pick up an X1-T for each Nikon Speedlight you have, and they will then integrate more-or-less seamlessly with any Godox strobes you end up with.

Also, it pays to make an early decision as to whether you require your trigger system to be TTL and/or HSS capable.

C

Aug 23, 2017 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.