New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 2 80D ??

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2 80D ??

For years I ran with whatever used 1D and 1Ds model I could afford. With the 1Dx, I sold everything, promised my soul, went in debt, and bought one. Great. It allowed me to meet my journalism responsibilities far better than I had and was a superb tool. I bought a 5DIII as its companion.

The 1Dx II arrives. After studying it for a while I decided to upgrade with the belief I would have something I could use for several years. Part of the cost for doing this was my pardner got custody of the 5DIII to offset the hit on our finances. (The intricacies of interpersonal finance within a partnership can be rather arcane. )

The vII is superb at everything. I have created excellent landscape, portraiture, macro, and sports images with it. Still, there are times and situations were it is just too much. PJ work is often better with a less imposing tool. The form factor would be good in a number of situations. I like the 5DIII and it has served me well. Of course now I have to ask permission to use it and it often isn't available.

Looking for a 1Dx II running mate, the 5DIV would be obvious. It is clearly a very nice bit of kit. It's also $3K USD. Ouch! I then got this bright idea when I noticed that Canon refurb is selling the 80D with the 18-55 stm lens for $850. One third the cost while giving perhaps 20% of the utility.

Done a lot of research on it and while it isn't as powerful as I normally use its cost/benefit ratio is excellent. I haven't been able to find the answers to two questions.

First: Are the focus points illuminated in red as nearly every Canon camera has been?
Second: Can the back dial's rotation be altered in the special settings?

The first is critical for me. One of the reasons I dumped the 1Dx was I just couldn't see the black focus points. The second is muscle memory. I've always had front and rear dial set to increase Tv and Av. I suppose I could adapt, but I've already found that the tactile differences between the 1D and the 5D make me fumble a bit.

So please, those of you with an 80D, would you enlighten me on these points? There was also a recent tread on the 80D vs the 6D. Does anyone have experience with the 80D and the 5DIII?

Thanks,

Robert

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM
WarrenL
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2 80D ??

I have 2x1DX2 and a 80D.

The 80D is a good standby backup camera. But every time I use it, I fumble with it, especially the navigation dial/buttons. I then have to remember it has touch control.

I guess it depends on how much you use it.

Hope this helps

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2 80D ??

First - yes, you can set it so that when you half press the shutter (in AI Servo mode only) the AF point light up in red. They are not illuminated before you half-press the shutter button and only the AF point you have selected will light up. (Search 'illumina' in the manual - page 424).

Second - yes you can reverse the the dial direction for both the top and rear dials (search 'dial direction' in the manual - page 425) but they are both either 'normal' or 'reverse' and the direction you set it 'reverse' in manual mode it will also be 'reverse' in Tv/Av for exposure compensation

I downloaded the manual because my wife has the 80D and have just checked both of these.

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:19 PM
Sharlin

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2 80D ??

The AF points are not individually lit but the whole LCD overlay is optionally illuminated during focusing. I believe this is how it works in all modern Canon cameras except the 1DX2 which has special support for illuminating individual points.

The rotation direction of the dials can be switched (C.Fn III/2), and the manual-mode dial functions can be swapped (Custom Controls; both dials can be set to control either Av or Tv).

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2 80D ??

Thanks folks. I think I'll pull the trigger. I expect to do some fumbling simply because I use the 1Dx so much. In fact I've used the 1D form factor/interface exclusively for years. Just adapt and use the tool.

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.