New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Sacrificing function for beauty

foto16

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sacrificing function for beauty

I've always had this question, but maybe I'm missing something: Why do so many otherwise great looking bags have these semi-outside pockets without any way to secure the contents in them (e.g., all Ona bags, https://goo.gl/images/mpfNvM)? I would only put napkins in them. I would not trust them with my wallet, phone, batteries, SD cards... When I shoot, I will need to leave the outside main buckles open for easy access to my camera and lenses. That means the contents of these small pockets may fall out with any tilt of the bag. And if I put the bag in the overhead bin on an airplane, I don't know when I open the bag how many of those small items will fly out. Basically for these bags I have to allocate internal space for these accessories, meaning fewer lenses to carry. Isn't this a kind of sacrificing function for beauty for these classic looking bags? Most modern bags from Think Tanks and Lowepro have zippers. In the classic design, Billingham Hadley Pro has buttons to close these pockets, while Domke F-803 has velcro attached flaps to close them. These are more useful.

A related rant: where do I put a water bottle in these good looking bags? They don't have an outside meshed pocket. Inside the bag and risking spilling water on all the equipment?

Aug 22, 2017 at 02:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sacrificing function for beauty

there will never be a true correlation between usability and taste.

Aug 22, 2017 at 02:48 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sacrificing function for beauty

I agree.

For me, when it comes to gear, functionality IS beauty!

I remember a Kickstarter ad that had two guys starting off by saying something like, "there are lots of highly-functional camera bags, but why aren't there any camera bags that are functional AND look good?". Closed the page right after that. This was not going to be bag I would be looking for.

Aug 22, 2017 at 06:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sacrificing function for beauty

There are never enough bags to make everyone happy.
I disdain bags made from natural products, preferring weather resistance.
I have about 15 bags and have not found one yet that is quite right.

EBH

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sacrificing function for beauty

I have a few different bags and they all serve different purposes.

For examples long distance travel in a vehicle v.s. local shoots.

Long distance travel I have everything contained in one bag - like a ThinkTank Streetwalker.

Locally I can get holstery and pouchy on it.

Aug 23, 2017 at 01:10 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sacrificing function for beauty

foto16 wrote:
I've always had this question, but maybe I'm missing something: Why do so many otherwise great looking bags have these semi-outside pockets without any way to secure the contents in them (e.g., all Ona bags, https://goo.gl/images/mpfNvM)? I would only put napkins in them. I would not trust them with my wallet, phone, batteries, SD cards... When I shoot, I will need to leave the outside main buckles open for easy access to my camera and lenses. That means the contents of these small pockets may fall out with any tilt of the bag. And if I put the bag in
...Show more

I have this bag in leather. First I've been able to have 4 lenses in this bag with 3 batteries, phone charger, lens cleaning kit, 1 filter, the little Fuji flash, wallet and passport or tablet. Although, like I said, I've taken 4 lenses, the bag will start getting heavy. Normally I only take 2 lenses. Usually they are prime lenses and only take the Fuji 18-55mm zoom since it's very compact.

I took this same bag to Spain this past April where I took it everywhere including in a torrential down pour when we had to go to another airport due to a deviated flight. The bag held up remarkably good, especially during that storm. Also never have the clips fail and open up in the overhead bin.

I use this bag all the time and got it because I think goes better when I'm wearing suits. Black nylon bags, although very functional, didn't really go when I have suits on.

I also like the clips on the bag because they are much more quite and faster then velcro or zippers. I also usually never leave the bag open because I don't change lenses all the time and don't really go through my accessories so much that I have to leave the bag open. As for the placement of a water bottle, maybe this will suffice?

So, although it might not look very accommodating, it can carry many items quite securely.

So I hope the search for your perfect bag gets rewarded (spoiler: it never does!)

Aug 23, 2017 at 04:05 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sacrificing function for beauty

A good looking bag is one that is not used...

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:57 PM
foto16

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sacrificing function for beauty

Thank you all for the thoughtful inputs!

Aug 24, 2017 at 03:43 AM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sacrificing function for beauty

For an industry with so many players and products, I find so few that are actually the product I want.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sacrificing function for beauty

its also not quite as big as you perceive. but i agree there is little "dedicated product" that is worth my effort

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sacrificing function for beauty

Those

EBH

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sacrificing function for beauty

bags that sacrifice function for beauty are for Leica users

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sacrificing function for beauty

WestTexas Sky wrote:
For an industry with so many players and products, I find so few that are actually the product I want.

+1. I'm still using mostly older bags and packs. Most of the newer designs are worse than the older ones.

EBH

Aug 26, 2017 at 04:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sacrificing function for beauty

It's gotten gay and fetishy following the money - Fuji-toting metrosexuals and hipsters with money to accessorise and gadgetise.

Before you say so, that's not homophobic - it's a reality. Ona, Billingham and Peak Design specifically target the moneyed, fashion-conscious urban male.

Lowepro, sadly, in my opinion, tend to cheap out on material durability.

I even have criticism of ThinkThank, whose products I do use, of being to yuppie-centric - in terms of aesthetic. I wish they'd come out with a butch range for us Malboro smoking, Penthouse loving 1980's action heroes.

Aug 26, 2017 at 07:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sacrificing function for beauty

ah, the tyranny of "beauty" and the color of money.

also

there are plenty of "paramilitary" bags out there that are easily adapted.
example: Maxpedition and all its emulators

Aug 26, 2017 at 09:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sacrificing function for beauty

Paul Mo wrote:
It's gotten gay and fetishy following the money - Fuji-toting metrosexuals and hipsters with money to accessorise and gadgetise.

Before you say so, that's not homophobic - it's a reality. Ona, Billingham and Peak Design specifically target the moneyed, fashion-conscious urban male.

Lowepro, sadly, in my opinion, tend to cheap out on material durability.

I even have criticism of ThinkThank, whose products I do use, of being to yuppie-centric - in terms of aesthetic. I wish they'd come out with a butch range for us Malboro smoking, Penthouse loving 1980's action heroes.

I don't care what the bags look like, unless they are too bright and would be extra noticeable to the predators and prey alike.

The adverse trends I have noticed are:

1. Bags are designed with more small compartments for smaller systems. I don't like mini cameras or the small primes. Most of my lenses are in the 1-4 kg category and the smallest cameras I regularly use are in the D800/5D class not to mention the pro DSLR bodies.

2. Photo backpack straps are smaller and thinner than before. Sure it saves a few hundred grams at the airport, but on the trail the back feels like a few more kg are being carried.

3. Bags have wasted space or compartments for laptops and Ipads, etc. I prefer fewer, larger components.

4. Materials quality is often inconsistent and newer bags don't hold up as well as many older ones.

Obviously I am an old dinosaur and not up to the modern trends, so for now
I'm holding onto the old Tamrac, Think Tank and even LowePro bags until they fall apart. I even regret not getting the small Gumba Gear Battaflae bag which did not survive in the new Tamrac.

EBH

Aug 26, 2017 at 04:58 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sacrificing function for beauty

EB-1 wrote:
I don't care what the bags look like, unless they are too bright and would be extra noticeable to the predators and prey alike.

The adverse trends I have noticed are:

1. Bags are designed with more small compartments for smaller systems. I don't like mini cameras or the small primes. Most of my lenses are in the 1-4 kg category and the smallest cameras I regularly use are in the D800/5D class not to mention the pro DSLR bodies.

2. Photo backpack straps are smaller and thinner than before. Sure it saves a few hundred grams at the airport, but
...Show more

I've given up on photo bags and converted to using trekking packs with inserts.

Aug 26, 2017 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password