Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release ...

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

I have had the BH-40 with the lever release for a while now. I haven't used it much due to work. Although in the time that I have used the ballhead, there's something about the lever release clamp that doesn't seem natural to me. Is it possible that I'm using it wrong? Are there vidoes online demonstrating how to effectively use the lever release clamp? My previous ballhead was the Markins Q3T, but that had the screw knob clamp. I'm starting to regret not getting the BH-40 with the screw knob clamp.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

I've always used the less expensive screw clamps. The laver clamp always seemed to be an answer to a question I hadn't asked.

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

C.D., I have rheumatoid arthritis, and have had issues since I was a teen. In cold weather, using a screw clamp was agony. So, the question I asked was, "is there an easier and just as safe method to mount a camera?". When I saw the RRS lever I had my answer. It's just as safe (likely safer, considering my hands), very flexible, and faster than a screw clamp.

To the OP, RRS has a lever maintenance video that also talks about using the lever.

I think after you get used to it, you'll find it hard to go back.

Peace,

Todd

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:54 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

The lever camp is pretty straight forward. On, half-off, or totally off.

Use it more. Try to get used to it. If not, sell it. Life's too short.

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

Are your Arca-Swiss mounts (camera, lenses) made by RRS? I've found that "industry standard Arca-Swiss" dovetails vary both from individual manufacturers (small variance) and among manufacturers (larger variance). My lever release clamp works "better" with RRS plates than with the Kirk ones I have on most of my gear. Kirk fis a little tighter, so I need to push harder on the lever to tighten/release. I can't measure any differences among my plates, so the differences must be subtle.

I just got used to the different force I need to apply, and I lube the lever mechanism with a 3M Dry Silicone or similar lubricant every few months.

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:19 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

Todd Warnke wrote:
C.D., I have rheumatoid arthritis,

Todd

I have arthritis in my thumbs, and have difficulty unscrewing the cap on a CokeŽ bottle. But neither my Acratech or RSS screw locks have been a problem.

I'm glad that the lever solved Todd's problem.

Here's Acratech's lever clamp, but I think that the adjustment screw wouldn't work well with Todd's arthritis.

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I can't seem to get use to the RRS BH-40's Lever Release Clamp

there is nothing on this planet that is going to be all things to all people.

effective use is simply full opening and full closing with the midpoint for adjusting position that minimizes the chance of equipment falls. that's it.

you can easily replace the lever clamp with the screw type using a allen wrench but the difference is the overall size of said screw clamp maybe problematic.

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:27 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password