New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · HP Spectre ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HP Spectre ...

Thinking about upgrading my T430S, and the HP Spectre line has caught my attention.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with them for running PS and processing ... or, how the display is for color gamut / view?

TIA

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:54 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HP Spectre ...

They are good laptops with competitive specs and screens. They compete directly with the Dell XPS and Asus Zenbook series. You can get the "360" model as well which comes with a touch screen and a 180 degree hinge.

One downside is as far as I know you can't get them with matte screens, which is not ideal for photo work.

The 13" models do not have discrete graphics, but if you move up to the 15" model there is an option for discrete graphics. They are the same as all the other laptops in this general category in that they have low power i5 and i7 options, 8-16GB ram and 128, 256, and 512GB SSD configurations. I do recall them having faster than average PCI-E SSD's when I was looking. Like virtually all laptops, they will be adequate but not great for PS work (compared to even a fairly cheap desktop), but that is true no matter what you get. I would go i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD if you can afford it.

If you go for the 15", the Dell XPS 15 is a better machine that is using a better version of the i7 and more modern components. The 13" is more of a wash with the other 2 brands.

Aug 22, 2017 at 09:51 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HP Spectre ...

Thanks, you're pretty much on the mark for what I was wondering.

I looked at the Asus Zenbook last night a bit, too. Coming from the T430s (14"), I'm really not looking for the 15" ... but having 16GB now, with a pair of 500 GB SSD's and a third spinner in it, I've gotten used to those specs. My T430s has a i7-3520M 2.90 that seems to be getting a little "tired" now that I'm in the 24-26 MP territory.

I'm also wondering about upgrading the CPU in my T430s, but not sure how much more that'll really net me for using PS if I go to a QM or XM processor. (i.e. can PS harness the quad or XM ?)

What I'd really like to find, is a portable monitor that touchscreen capable. Then I could connect it to a desk/tower/micro and work off the monitor more like a drawing tablet. Thinking also about the Cintiq for this possible application ... need to get my hands on a Cintiq though to see what I think about how that compares with say using a Surface or Microsoft Ink with pens, etc.

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HP Spectre ...

RustyBug wrote:
What I'd really like to find, is a portable monitor that touchscreen capable. Then I could connect it to a desk/tower/micro and work off the monitor more like a drawing tablet. Thinking also about the Cintiq for this possible application ... need to get my hands on a Cintiq though to see what I think about how that compares with say using a Surface or Microsoft Ink with pens, etc.

a normal touch screen isn't really going to do it for you . if you want to use a screen as a direct input device for PS etc then you need to go down the Cintiq type route .
im not sure if Dell have actually brought it to market but they have showed a large (27" i think) pen enabled screen .
or as a machine there's always the 28" Surface

but if its portability you want then the Cintiq comes in a few sizes . there's also the iPad pro . I hear its a very good option when used with astropad.

there are also some pretty good cintiq knock offs that are way cheaper than the wacom's . but your not going to get the very latest wacom type tech and any driver issues down the line probably won't get sorted

Aug 24, 2017 at 02:27 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HP Spectre ...

Prefer Lenovo SSD 4K laptops.
Need at least 16gb for processing
of 5Drs files

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HP Spectre ...

Did some research into the benchmarks of Ivy Bridge CPU's for upgrading my 3520M. Seems that the XM's benchmark nearly double mine, with quads going around a +80% or so. Both of those options are benching higher than the CPU's (15%-25%) like the 7500U in the spectre ... and I wouldn't have to rebuild software, nor give up my matte display, and could still keep my three hard drives.

Hmmm ...

I've never done a CPU upgrade before. Any thoughts on the "bang for the buck" going to say a QM or XM? I'd be going from 35W to 45W for the QM, and 55W for the XM (down to 45W, up to 65W). Wondering if that would present any heat issues to be critically concerned about?

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:53 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.