New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

30 minutes to first contact

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 30 minutes to first contact

All set up and ready to go with nothing but blue sky! And mother sun gave us some nice sun spots to lock in on as an extra bonus.

This is by far my most anticipated and studied shoot I have ever done. Countless hours of practice shots and sequence runs books and article after article of research has brought me to this day. And a few extra toys for the bag.

Let's just hope I don't screw it up.

Dave

Aug 21, 2017 at 04:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 30 minutes to first contact

Looking good, I just stacked a bunch of filters on my EOSM and 100-400+1.5x at f45 and it seems like I might have gotten a few. But we are only a bit over 90% here.

Aug 21, 2017 at 07:18 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 30 minutes to first contact

Well.... Over 1500 frames later and a weight loss of probably 10 lbs from sweating, I think I just might have something to start working with.

Just as soon as I posted earlier I walked back outside and the horizon was starting to fill with clouds.
I thought "NFW!" please NO!!!!

As it turned out, it was pretty much open sky right up until 5 minutes AFTER totality before the clouds came in and blocked my view.

I am so happy with the shots I came away with I'm almost still shaking. And what an absolutely amazing sight it was.
I have read and planned for this for so long I pretty much knew what it was going to be like.
But holy crap was I wrong! The moments just prior to and and after as well as all of totality was almost beyond words. I have never experienced anything like that in my life.

It was everything I could do to remember to fire that remote trigger and although I did remember to remove my filter at the right moment I have no recollection of doing so what so ever. I did forget to put it back on at 3rd contact but quickly realized it when I glanced down for a quick chimp.

And I got several "Earth shine" shot's that I didn't think I could get!
Happy happy happy!

Wow! What an incredible experience. I'm so glad I looked up.

Here are just a few that I've quickly processed. These are just the foundations of what my ultimate finished prints will be.

Man do I have a ton of work to do now.

Dave

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 30 minutes to first contact

Wow!!!!

Steve

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 30 minutes to first contact

Wow is right. No way i am showing mine. What filter did you use? What settings?

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:40 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 30 minutes to first contact

eeneryma wrote:
Wow!!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve! These are still in pretty rough shape so just wait until I get them processed properly.
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
Wow is right. No way i am showing mine. What filter did you use? What settings?

Thanks Ben! A few months ago I bought a Thousand Oaks filter to filter my 100-400II lens.
Settings for the partials were simply a 3 shot bracket to be safe but only needed one shot @ 1/160 F/9 ISO 100 until the clouds came in and I had to adjust SS a little.

For the main event, I had both of my custom dials setup to capture as much as possible for each critical event.
One for first and second contact and the other for totality.

Second and third contact vary greatly from one second to the next so I bracketed the living chit out my little 6DII for those events. Totality is also crazy in order to get all the goodies you can so I also bracketed my ars off with 7 frames varying the SS as many time as I possibly could within 96 seconds.

What you are seeing here are only single frames that I will need to blend and process later.
I'm just so happy right now I had to share them here before my head exploded.

I stayed home so that my wife wouldn't be alone for the experience. By doing so, I gave up a full extra minute of totality that was available just a few minutes down the road.
I only had 1minute 36 seconds here at the house.
But my god was it an amazing 96 seconds, and I'm glad I was with my wife for it. I just hope I have enough frames to do what I wanted/planned.

Dave

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 30 minutes to first contact

Dave:
Saw some NASA photos. They need to talk to you. 😎
Steve

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 30 minutes to first contact

I'm not sure, but the moon looks like it has a cyanic cast to it.

Nice set. So glad you were able to have such an excellent experience. I was just outside the totality, so I never got to see any of the "exciting" stuff. Fortunately, my wife got to experience (no camera stuff for her) the things you're showing us.

Looking forward to seeing your finished pieces after you put your spin on it.

Well done, grasshopper.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 30 minutes to first contact

Nicely done.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 30 minutes to first contact

Thanks so much for putting these in here!

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 30 minutes to first contact

Bad-ass, Dave!

Lowly 86% for us, so nothing special. Might have to consider taking a trip (possibly with the boy) in 2024 somewhere up north (or maybe West VA) to take a stab at these myself.

Looking forward to all you captured - I'm living vicariously through you on this one.

Jeff

Aug 22, 2017 at 09:43 PM
lylejk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 30 minutes to first contact

Impressive. You even captured some noticeable prominences exiting the side of the sun as seen in the edge of the moon. Very cool stuff indeed.

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:50 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 30 minutes to first contact

Thanks all for the kind words. I got a few minutes last night to work on a blend but I'm not happy with it yet. But wow did I get some serious details in the Corona.

If you haven't looked around in other sub forums here yet, I suggest you do because there are some fantastic shots being posted by others.

I will be traveling to see the next one. It was breath taking.

Dave

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 30 minutes to first contact

lighthound wrote:
I will be traveling to see the next one. It was breath taking.

Dave

I'll meet you there.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 30 minutes to first contact

RustyBug wrote:
I'll meet you there.

Sounds like a good plan to me brotha!

I recall seeing a partial eclipse when I was young and have always remembered it as something pretty cool to see.
However.... After seeing this TOTAL eclipse, I am still completely blown away by the entire experience.
You can read about what it is like until you are blue in the face and think you have a good handle of what to expect. But you truly do have to see and experience a TOTAL eclipse to fully understand what it is like.

I once read someone describe it as a life changing event that they will never forget. I thought "Yeah right, whatever treehugger."

Well.... Now that I have experienced it, I'm not sure about literally "life changing", but I can not imagine any other natural event coming any closer to life changing then this was. There was something about everything that happened in those magical 96 seconds that I can not put into words. I missed several frames but boy am I glad I looked up and around while I was trying to click.

I HAVE to see this again no matter where I need to travel to. And next time, I will be recording video because that's the one thing I failed to capture this time which I think it would have been the icing on the cake.

I did however capture a 1,150 frame time lapse which turned out ok even though the FG is boring.
Here's a link to my
Eclipse Time lapse

You can see the power of my prayers holding off those clouds until AFTER totality.

Dave

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 30 minutes to first contact

Fantastic! The solar flares are awesome! Thanks!

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Littlefield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 30 minutes to first contact

Dave, really nice work. I saw the spectacular sight down in Greenville and it was amazing. In NC just up road at Zirconia believe they were only at 99 percent.
Don

Aug 24, 2017 at 02:44 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 30 minutes to first contact

CMYK Designs wrote:
Fantastic! The solar flares are awesome! Thanks!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them. I'm still working on the finished versions.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

Littlefield wrote:
Dave, really nice work. I saw the spectacular sight down in Greenville and it was amazing. In NC just up road at Zirconia believe they were only at 99 percent.
Don

Thanks Don! It was amazing!
I almost headed over towards Clemson area to set-up on a remote lake for a better time lapse and to get the full 2 minutes 36 seconds. I'm so glad I didn't because many of those areas had clouds move in right at totality. My SIL was working over in Anderson and he never got to see it due to heavy clouds.

Dave

Aug 24, 2017 at 03:40 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 30 minutes to first contact

I sit here amazed and in awe.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:17 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 30 minutes to first contact

lighthound wrote:
I did however capture a 1,150 frame time lapse which turned out ok even though the FG is boring.
Here's a link to my
Eclipse Time lapse

Dave, that timelapse is AWESOME! The way everything "clicks in" when totality occurs is intense.

I bet it was even wilder in person!

Jeff

Aug 30, 2017 at 06:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password