New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

EA6B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

I am semi-retired from photography. Just shooting for personal work and the occasional clients that have been with me for years.

I'm looking for a carbon fiber tripod, all of mine are metal or wood, in the 500 or under range. I prefer flip locks to twist, just because of health issues.

So far I've looked at the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 which currently has a 100 dollar rebate. However, I've noticed quite a few complaints regarding the rotation of the center column, which truthfully, I don't see myself using.

Suggestions, thoughts, comments appreciated.

Thanks.
E

Aug 21, 2017 at 03:01 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

Check out www.feisol.com

Loads of great products, superb service and best bang for the buck imho.

Aug 21, 2017 at 04:14 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

I've had a Giottos aluminun tripod for over 10 years. The flip locks are still working great I use it for my Wimberley WH-200 II Gimbal Tripod Head.

I'd look at Giottos' Siilk Road YTL Carbon Fiber series. This is the most expensive one I found https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969788-REG/giottos_ytl_8383_3_sec_tripod_pro_center_column_max.html

BTW Giottos make those Rocket squeeze blowers that many people use.

Aug 21, 2017 at 05:22 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

Thank you!

Aug 21, 2017 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

Twist lock, but i would get this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848831-REG/FEISOL_CT_3442_Tournament_CT_3442_Rapid_Tripod.html

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:13 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

Evangelos Makris wrote:
Twist lock, but i would get this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848831-REG/FEISOL_CT_3442_Tournament_CT_3442_Rapid_Tripod.html

+1 for 3442 leg set
Twist locks are not a problem. I can grab and twist the three section locks to release the legs.

This tripod is most stable without the optional center column(s). When not in use the legs fold back over the tripod to save space. Feisol service has been exemplary, going back about 10 years. Good stability with lens up to the Canon 100-400 L. At the size/weight of the 100-400, the combo can become unstable in the wind, due to the torque exerted, particularly when used with a big lens hood.

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:34 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for tripod-- < $500

nma wrote:
+1 for 3442 leg set
Twist locks are not a problem.

Unless like many older people, you have arthritis in your hands

This tripod is most stable without the optional center column(s). When not in use the legs fold back over the tripod to save space. Feisol service has been exemplary, going back about 10 years. Good stability with lens up to the Canon 100-400 L. At the size/weight of the 100-400, the combo can become unstable in the wind, due to the torque exerted, particularly when used with a big lens hood.

My Giottos routinely supported a Wimberley 200 II with a 400mm Big White, an extender and a lens hood. I used this combo for shooting surfing in SoCal—there is often wind at the beach. BTW the center column was usually extended halfway—not a problem.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password