Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"
  
 
FerrisFoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


I just picked up a new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and took it out to shoot at the motocross track the other day and was severely disappointed with the results. I was expecting it to be super sharp but it is less sharp and clear then my Tamron 150-600 which is very surprising.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad copy of this lens?

Any input will help!

Thanks,

Wyatt.

Edited on Aug 21, 2017 at 03:33 AM · View previous versions



Aug 21, 2017 at 03:26 AM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


You need to post examples along with full exif for anyone to give you meaningful feedback. Could be any number of things.


Aug 21, 2017 at 03:30 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


Fine tune, THEN get back to us


Aug 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


Do some controlled testing with MLU on a tripod focusing with live view
Do the same using the af

Way way too many variables at this point.



Aug 21, 2017 at 01:32 PM
TooManyShots
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


The lens is sharp. You need to calibrate the len's AF accuracy. I would first begin to adjust the AF accuracy at 135mm, wide open. 135mm is the lens sweet spot. Then, you test for the under 70mm and 200mm. Is possible that under 70mm and 200mm, the lens could be either back focusing or front focusing. Worst, front focusing at 70mm and back focusing at 200mm...

This shot was taken yesterday's bike race with the Tamron...I applied some sharpening and structures...not a lot.








Aug 21, 2017 at 03:40 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


If the lens AF is in fact the problem, it's very unlikely you will be able to perfectly correct the lens at 20+ combinations of focal length and subject distance with a single value (if you can though, that's great). Test CDAF vs PDAF and if it's off anywhere that can't be corrected with a single value (without messing up any other combination), exchange it. You paid for a perfect copy. Could try the TAP too if your lens is compatible but you shouldn't have to pay more just to get accurate focus.


Aug 21, 2017 at 03:58 PM
TooManyShots
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


I think he has the G1 version, not the G2... I think.... If is the non-VC version, the AF accuracy and speed are not meant for sports....


Aug 21, 2017 at 04:04 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


TooManyShots wrote:
I think he has the G1 version, not the G2... I think.... If is the non-VC version, the AF accuracy and speed are not meant for sports....


I agree if this is the older version, he is probably going to be disappointed shooting any action.



Aug 21, 2017 at 04:18 PM
reggieb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


CanadaMark wrote:
If the lens AF is in fact the problem, it's very unlikely you will be able to perfectly correct the lens at 20+ combinations of focal length and subject distance with a single value (if you can though, that's great). Test CDAF vs PDAF and if it's off anywhere that can't be corrected with a single value (without messing up any other combination), exchange it. You paid for a perfect copy. Could try the TAP too if your lens is compatible but you shouldn't have to pay more just to get accurate focus.


You seem to be against the docks (I've seen you say this before), but it's a strange position. There are Nikon lenses where you literally can't get accurate focus across the range because the docks aren't an option.

Add to this the simple fact that different cameras behave differently, and you just have a wildly unrealistic view of how this all works. Sure, you can trade and trade and trade with Tamron or Sigma, and finally get it matched to your camera, only to find that it's no longer matched as soon as you buy a new body, or you can get the dock, take the time to calibrate the lens, and be done with it. My Sigma lenses are my most consistent lenses, more consistent than the 2 Nikkors (and they aren't slouches - the 300 PF and 14-24) that I have left, because of the docks.

If they would just allow you to store values for different cameras, they would be darn perfect.



Aug 22, 2017 at 02:34 PM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


FerrisFoto wrote:
I just picked up a new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and took it out to shoot at the motocross track the other day and was severely disappointed with the results. I was expecting it to be super sharp but it is less sharp and clear then my Tamron 150-600 which is very surprising.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad copy of this lens?

Any input will help!

Thanks,

Wyatt.


The first thing you should do with any new lens is shoot it a few calibration charts or anything usually with lines and edges. Check for it being decentered, you can check the corner sharpness the center sharpness and for sure you check that the AF is calibrated.

To just get a new lens and then take it out to an event and shoot it, is just setting yourself up for failure or disappointment.

Jim



Aug 22, 2017 at 09:58 PM
EricJrSax
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


I'm still soooo confused,... don't which direction to move. Here's the wording on Tamron's website: "Negative values adjusts in direction of a front focus, while positive values adjusts in direction of a back focus." Should I be reading this as "Negative values adjusts to correct for front focus, while positive values adjusts to correct for back focus."

I know this may seem elementary to some of you guys, but it's givin' me a headache trying to figure out which way to move to sliders. I see the graphic on the right on the Tap-In Console screen,... I guess what I'm asking is, am I moving the 'Default 0' backward toward the area that's focusing correctly (in my case, back focus), OR am I moving the area that is correctly focusing forward towards 'Default 0'? Just confused,... a little help please! Thanks!




Sep 25, 2017 at 09:36 PM
TooManyShots
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


EricJrSax wrote:
I'm still soooo confused,... don't which direction to move. Here's the wording on Tamron's website: "Negative values adjusts in direction of a front focus, while positive values adjusts in direction of a back focus." Should I be reading this as "Negative values adjusts to correct for front focus, while positive values adjusts to correct for back focus."

I know this may seem elementary to some of you guys, but it's givin' me a headache trying to figure out which way to move to sliders. I see the graphic on the right on the Tap-In Console screen,... I guess what I'm asking
...Show more

Front focusing means that your lens is focusing (location in focus) TOWARDS YOU, the camera. Then, you need positive values to correct it. Back focusing means that your lens is focus at the back of the main subject. Then, you need to use negative values.



Sep 26, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Lauchlan Toal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Not "Tack Sharp"


reggieb wrote:
Sure, you can trade and trade and trade with Tamron or Sigma, and finally get it matched to your camera, only to find that it's no longer matched as soon as you buy a new body, or you can get the dock, take the time to calibrate the lens, and be done with it. My Sigma lenses are my most consistent lenses, more consistent than the 2 Nikkors (and they aren't slouches - the 300 PF and 14-24) that I have left, because of the docks.


I would absolutely love to have a Nikon dock. My 16-35 f4 requires at least 4 different AF fine tune values for proper focus - 16mm near, 16mm far, 35mm near, and 35mm far. Despite being an ultrawide angle f4 lens, and only using it on a 24MP camera, the focus imperfections are very noticeable. I haven't sent it in for factory calibration since AF on it isn't too important to me, but if I could spend $100 and get a device that lets me set multiple AF fine tune values I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Plus the D5x00 and D3x00 lines don't offer any AF fine tune capabilities, so Tamron and Sigma is a really attractive option for newer photographers today. I would be about twice as excited about a Nikon dock as I would be about any lens they could design.



Sep 26, 2017 at 04:44 PM







FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password